List Mgmt. Next Generation Academy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsure.

Tarryns brother is coming through the Tassie underage system now.

Believe he comes in the year before their drafting rights
Another Thomas

No More Reds GIF by MLB

Unsure.

Tarryns brother is coming through the Tassie underage system now.

Believe he comes in the year before their drafting rights
Tyane is a good kid, still got a lot of developing to do. Can jump though!!!

He might have a choice to make if he hasn't made it already, he's a very talented cricketer!

It feels from the outside that we don’t put much effort into either.

It’s be nice if we had some sort of clarity on it.

Is it simply a case of we don’t have staff to run clinics and recognise potential academy members?

Has the club determined it isn’t worth the investment?

Had the AFL told us not to bother with Tassie with the impending Tassie side?

A very bizarre situation in my opinion.

Tyane Thomas is making his senior debut for North Launceston in the Tassie State League this weekend.

Still have no idea what’s actually going with our academy and if we are actually putting any effort into it down in Tassie.
The guys I know in the Devils coaching “program” say we’re having input, but it’s minimal for various reasons.…

I’ve asked about NGA numerous times, with no clarity forthcoming. When I’ve asked why, the answer I get is always “ask AFL Tas”, in other words “shite show”.

The guys I know in the Devils coaching “program” say we’re having input, but it’s minimal for various reasons.…

I’ve asked about NGA numerous times, with no clarity forthcoming. When I’ve asked why, the answer I get is always “ask AFL Tas”, in other words “shite show”.
Thanks BoomerRoo. Shame, as I think last year we really could've made use of it to have Jack Callinan on as a Cat B rookie.

As far as our Wyndham region, have we done much in this space? Imo that region has a lot of potential as it is a very multi-cultural area.

So this will be our fifth straight year with no NGA prospects worth listing?

Well technically, it's our 3rd or 4th year without an NGA academy really at all.

Blame the club, not the AFL, it really needs to be clearly addressed to members at the AGM what has occurred.

Sanders was ruled NGA eligible.

Jack Callinan was never listed NGA eligible for North, despite being indigenous = i.e we closed down the NGA academy in COVID and never restarted it.

I think we are the only club actually without an active NGA academy, despite having a zone. I'd like to know the reason outside of closing it down because of COVID and not re-opening it because of cost reasons....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just curious how many kids you lot think would qualify for our academy. Not very many is the answer.

GC have 900 kids. Smithy, Davo, Knackers, Barry & Bruce Bourke. Etc .

In Tassie Them blardy English stockpiled the joint with the Irish. They of course don't qualify under the rules we work by. GC it doesn't matter.
After doing what they did to the locals he didn't leave much now did it. Not making light of the massacre as it of course is disgusting.

So yeah we never thought highly of the Tassie academy, our interest was always just TT and is why we started it.
I was told that very recently.

With the current rules our investment isn't worth it.

He was in ours and NGA eligible and we passed.

We could have taken him as a Cat B rookie outside of the rookie list...

He went to the SANFL for a year and was drafted as a 19 year old.
To be fair, ‘kid gets overlooked in national draft, plays at a lower level, finds his feet and gets drafted’ isn’t an uncommon story.

With the current rules our investment isn't worth it.

Does any club outside the northern states spend money under current rules developing kids with the hope that they become good enough to play at AFL level but not so good that they would be taken in the top 40 picks? Given that the national draft tends to only attract selections to around pick 60, that's a narrow window.

Does any club outside the northern states spend money under current rules developing kids with the hope that they become good enough to play at AFL level but not so good that they would be taken in the top 40 picks? Given that the national draft tends to only attract selections to around pick 60, that's a narrow window.
I don't know tbh. But I assume it's easier getting into a car and travelling to say a Werribee. Than it is using same vehicle and then a plane and then accommodation etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back