Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 115 27.1%
  • No

Votes: 309 72.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Disposal Efficiency was 59.0%....often ignored this stat. 59.0% efficiency isn't good.
So... 24 effective disposals?

Let me know how many other players in the league have 24 effective disposals this weekend, to go with over 20 contested possessions.

In fact, give me a list of other players who have done that this year...

Kicking an outlier today, but his inside mid work was a step up. Surprised at the clearance numbers tbh (14), he's building upon what we know he can do on the outside. Some getting nervous in here!

Imagine getting 41 touches, 22 contested, 14 clearances and it just being an ordinary average game.
Nick Daicos's numbers were off the charts. Nothing "ordinary" or "average" about that
Even by his own prolific high standards, this was a HUGE game on the stats sheet

However, what really made his game "ordinary" and "average" was his poor kicking

21 kicks, but only 6 of them were effective.... 28.6% kicking efficiency. :eek:
Most of his good work was undone and counter-productive.

Below is the Top 20 players on Champion Data's player ratings for yesterday's game. Daicos is way down the list. I doubt anyone has ever racked up 40+ disposals and rated in the low 10's. Maybe Patrick Cripps has done it a few times before. He is the king of racking up 35 touches, making the commentators jizz in their pants over the way he gets the ball and busts through tackles, but wasting over 50% of his possessions.

Rating.....................(disp)
23.7 Izak Rankine (30)
22.4 Scott Pendlebury (30)
19.8 Jordan Dawson (29)
17.2 Mitchell Hinge (26)
16.9 Matt Crouch (34)
16.4 Jack Crisp (25)
15.6 Lachlan Murphy (14)
15.1 Mark Keane (20)
13.8 Reilly O'Brien (14)
13.1 Darcy Cameron (16)
12.8 Josh Rachele (13)
12.1 Jake Soligo (24)
12.0 John Noble (29)
11.7 Joe Richards (12)
11.6 Rory Laird (22)
11.3 Jordan De Goey (26)
10.9 Finlay Macrae (12)
10.9 Will Hamill (14)
10.6 Brayden Maynard (21)
10.2 Nick Daicos (41)

It will interesting to see on Brownlow night, whether the umps were swayed by the gaudy stats and gave him 3 votes, or if they took into account his poor ball usage.

Last edited:
Nick Daicos's numbers were off the charts. Nothing "ordinary" or "average" about that
Even by his own prolific high standards, this was a HUGE game on the stats sheet

However, what really made his game "ordinary" and "average" was his poor kicking

Here's the Top 20 players on Champion Data's player ratings. Daicos is way down the list.
I doubt anyone has ever racked up 40+ disposals and rated in the low 10's.

23.7 Izak Rankine (30)
19.8 Jordan Dawson (29)
17.2 Mitchell Hinge (26)
16.9 Matt Crouch (34)
16.4 Jack Crisp (25)
15.6 Lachlan Murphy (14)
15.1 Mark Keane (20)
13.8 Reilly O'Brien (14)
13.1 Darcy Cameron (16)
12.8 Josh Rachele (13)
12.1 Jake Soligo (24)
12.0 John Noble (29)
11.7 Joe Richards (12)
11.6 Rory Laird (22)
11.3 Jordan De Goey (26)
10.9 Finlay Macrae (12)
10.9 Will Hamill (14)
10.2 Nick Daicos (41)

It will interesting to see on Brownlow night, whether the umps were swayed by the gaudy stats and gave him 3 votes, or if they took into account his poor ball usage.
I’d probably give Rankine the votes today though. Daicos second and Pendelbury 3rd his 1st half was absolute classic Pendles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at the last 5 Brownlow winners, Neale, Cripps, Wines, Mitchell, Fyfe... it's pretty obvious they dont care about outside players or ball use and only award votes based on clearance and contested ball. I'd be surprised if the umpires even pay attention to whether a player kicks it to his teammate or the opposition.

Look at the last 5 Brownlow winners, Neale, Cripps, Wines, Mitchell, Fyfe... it's pretty obvious they dont care about outside players or ball use and only award votes based on clearance and contested ball. I'd be surprised if the umpires even pay attention to whether a player kicks it to his teammate or the opposition.
Yeah, I know.... It's amazing really, when you think about it.

It's probably the single most important thing: get the ball and USE IT to your team's best advantage.
(Which is normally what makes Daicos so effin' good.)

The better Daicos is, the more it puts an asterisk on their flag imo. literally built a team on being kissed on the father son and the nga old rules. I'll never value their success the same as other teams. arguably their 4 best players are gifts.

Give the dees Nick Daicos to play alongside Oliver and Petracca, Darcy Moore to play alongside May and Lever with Quaynor crumbing and the other Daicos roaming then the dees probably do a 5-peat tbh.

The better Daicos is, the more it puts an asterisk on their flag imo. literally built a team on being kissed on the father son and the nga old rules. I'll never value their success the same as other teams. arguably their 4 best players are gifts.

Give the dees Nick Daicos to play alongside Oliver and Petracca, Darcy Moore to play alongside May and Lever with Quaynor crumbing and the other Daicos roaming then the dees probably do a 5-peat tbh.
If my Nan had trunks, she'd be a tree

Why do Melbourne players have such poor sperm?

Below is the Top 20 players on Champion Data's player ratings for yesterday's game. Daicos is way down the list. I doubt anyone has ever racked up 40+ disposals and rated in the low 10's. Maybe Patrick Cripps has done it a few times before. He is the king of racking up 35 touches, making the commentators jizz in their pants over the way he gets the ball and busts through tackles, but wasting over 50% of his possessions.

23.7 Izak Rankine (30)
19.8 Jordan Dawson (29)
17.2 Mitchell Hinge (26)
16.9 Matt Crouch (34)
16.4 Jack Crisp (25)
15.6 Lachlan Murphy (14)
15.1 Mark Keane (20)
13.8 Reilly O'Brien (14)
13.1 Darcy Cameron (16)
12.8 Josh Rachele (13)
12.1 Jake Soligo (24)
12.0 John Noble (29)
11.7 Joe Richards (12)
11.6 Rory Laird (22)
11.3 Jordan De Goey (26)
10.9 Finlay Macrae (12)
10.9 Will Hamill (14)
10.2 Nick Daicos (41)

Yikes, that's awful.

WTF was he even doing?

Don't worry C'wood fans, everyone would love him on their team...

Yeah his brother kicked a few in a grandy once.

There's always a premiership brother, isn't there? How uncanny would it be if this Ablett jr. you speak of had a father renowned for kicking miracle goals and other freakish on field exploits earning him a nickname like Nick's father "the magician". What could possibly be more powerful than a magician!

Luck. Which shouldn't come into the equation when deciding flags. And in that sense, pies have had massive luck. Kissed. Well it's not even luck, it's a flawed system which should've been abolished a decade ago.
I’m mean you could always tank for 10 years, get some high end draft picks and win a flag. Thats the way it’s done right?

Luck. Which shouldn't come into the equation when deciding flags. And in that sense, pies have had massive luck. Kissed. Well it's not even luck, it's a flawed system which should've been abolished a decade ago.
Do you win those flags in the 50s and 60s without Barassi? You could argue you don't win in 2021 without Viney, stop whinging and acting like you're hard done by. North, St Kilda and Sydney haven't really had any notable father sons

I’m mean you could always tank for 10 years, get some high end draft picks and win a flag. Thats the way it’s done right?
It's interesting that the clubs who have basically remained competitive and are often contending for a flags this century have had some of the more favourable prodigy roll through the door.

Maybe that is equalisation at its best after the likes of Melbourne and Carlton spent a decade rewarded for being shite. In the process scooping up stacks of top draft picks year-on-year until it is basically impossible NOT to play finals and in Melbourne's case, win a flag.

Back