MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL Discussion - 2017 - Finals. And yes , again its non Dees discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Sydney now out, there will be two new teams in the GF this year. Even though they rebounded from their 0-6 start to make finals, it's another missed year for them. Very disappointing. Danger coming up against his old side in the PF at Adelaide Oval is going to be a beauty, looking forward to that.

apparently the mcg holds 1,700,000m3 or 1,700,000,000 litres. In the event of a Richmond-Geelong gf serious thought will need to be given to adding causeways and drainage channels because the media jizz produced would easily exceed that amount

A Richmond GF will be completely ridiculous, regardless of opponent.

Honestly, I won't mind it either.

Wow. The Melbourne who won 3 of 4 mid season could have won the premiership this year. Richmond (with all due respect) are the worst potential premier I can remember. 4 superstars and then a bunch of role players. Although as a team they deserve full respect because they are the 2nd best team in the competition.

Wow. The Melbourne who won 3 of 4 mid season could have won the premiership this year. Richmond (with all due respect) are the worst potential premier I can remember. 4 superstars and then a bunch of role players. Although as a team they deserve full respect because they are the 2nd best team in the competition.
Richmond have done very well to make top 4 with the players they've had at their disposal this year. It just shows how strong their on-field system has been this season. I expect them to make the GF now. Would be massive if they end up winning the bloody thing.

makes us missing the finals all the more frustrating, any of Melbourne, Bulldogs, St Kilda or Hawthorn could have done some damage in this finals series if they had of made it. the standard of matches have been the worst of any finals series I can remember. you're call about Richmond is spot on, Geelong although they played well tonight are the worst 2nd team I've ever seen, Port Adelaide finished 5th without beating a single top 8 side all year (seriously, what the *)- West Coast have almost been a laughing stock of the competition for most of the year, wouldn't suprise me if they're playing in a ******* prelim next week. This year has been exciting because it's been close, its been close due to most sides being extremley flakey at best, and aside from Adelaide and to a fair lesser extent Richmond; a distinct lack of quality.

Richmond have done very well to make top 4 with the players they've had at their disposal this year. It just shows how strong their on-field system has been this season. I expect them to make the GF now. Would be massive if they end up winning the bloody thing.

Plus they have 4 genuine superstars who deliver every single week.

Compare their top 4 with ours.
Rance- Tmac
Dusty- Oliver
Cotchin- Jones/Viney
Riewoldt- Hogan

Rance is one of the best defenders in decades. Tmac is average
Dusty is the most dominant player in the game, Oliver is already a star on the inside but doesn't have half the impact of Dusty yet
Cotchin is back to his Brownlow best and is a classy inside/outside type. Jones I love but he failed in the biggest game of his career
Riewoldt is the ultimate team player these days and makes everyone around him better, Hogan is young and improving but he doesn't make others around him better yet and that's both a him problem and a team evolution.

On the other hand id argue our bottom 6-8 are more talented players but they aren't getting the job done consistently like the Tigers players. Age excuse can't be used for that because the Tigers bottom 6 are all young as well.

Also, Nichols does it again. That Q1 50m penalty against Buddy was one of the worst decisions I have seen in footy at any level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, Nichols does it again. That Q1 50m penalty against Buddy was one of the worst decisions I have seen in footy at any level.
You know my stance on umpiring mate but the general consensus from everyone seems to be the umpires are still cleaning danger field off their mouths. Is that how the game went?

You know my stance on umpiring mate but the general consensus from everyone seems to be the umpires are still cleaning danger field off their mouths. Is that how the game went?
Just wait til you see the Buddy one. That is bribery bullshit. Duncan marks and momentum takes him perpendicular to the mark. Buddy stands the mark. Duncan makes no attempt to move back to his line and plays on. Buddy attempts to pursue and gets done for 50 because Nichols hasn't called play on. Duncan gets a shot on goal from it and slots it.

Posted this on the main board

Bud is a symptom of the modern AFL. Big forwards are one of the least important players in the AFL now. Look at Adelaide and Richmond the current 2 best teams in the AFL, Riewoldt plays a complete team role and doesn't win games alone anymore and the Tigers are better for it. Tex Walker is more valuable to the crows at CHF helping to direct play and opening space behind him for the runners. Bulldogs last year won it without a FF and the Hawks 3 peat was built around Roughy who played the Riewoldt role. Swans in 12 won it with Goodes as the FF.

Unless footy changes in the future then the small forward line with an extremely hard working tall is the new forward structure.

We need to drop a few of our slower inside players next year and add some more blokes who like defensive pressure. So out Tyson and Harmes/Vince and in Neon Dion and hopefully another bloke with hunger for pressure

Wide open again - I think the cats are actually OK, but very dependant on the variable performance of their kids - which is where Richmond are better

For those thinking we would have had an impact in finals - I doubt it - leadership even more important in finals and we don't have any of that

We probably would have pulled an Essendon but with 5 less goals to our score

Wide open again - I think the cats are actually OK, but very dependant on the variable performance of their kids - which is where Richmond are better

For those thinking we would have had an impact in finals - I doubt it - leadership even more important in finals and we don't have any of that

We probably would have pulled an Essendon but with 5 less goals to our score

Yeah but it's still a big what if. Once you are in September your a chance and we had shown the ability to win on the road already.

Adelaide better win this thing or we will have a team winning the GF who really doesn't deserve to. Horribly dull finals series so far from an outsiders perspective. If it wasn't for the Port/Eagles draw, this would be the least exciting finals series in decades. Footy hasn't been of a high standard, one sided matches and horrible weather conditions..

Posted this on the main board

Bud is a symptom of the modern AFL. Big forwards are one of the least important players in the AFL now. Look at Adelaide and Richmond the current 2 best teams in the AFL, Riewoldt plays a complete team role and doesn't win games alone anymore and the Tigers are better for it. Tex Walker is more valuable to the crows at CHF helping to direct play and opening space behind him for the runners. Bulldogs last year won it without a FF and the Hawks 3 peat was built around Roughy who played the Riewoldt role. Swans in 12 won it with Goodes as the FF.

Unless footy changes in the future then the small forward line with an extremely hard working tall is the new forward structure.

We need to drop a few of our slower inside players next year and add some more blokes who like defensive pressure. So out Tyson and Harmes/Vince and in Neon Dion and hopefully another bloke with hunger for pressure
I agree - to a point. I think the big forward issue is partly out of the fact that there aren't many big guys with explosive speed that can take a mark. The first job as big a forward isn't really to always take contested marks - although you could be excused for thinking otherwise the way everybody is always banging on about it in the commentary. A big forward needs to have a bit of off the line acceleration just to get off his opponent, once he has a small break, it's not hard to maintain it. Then the defender generally has to do something illegal to beat you. It just seems to me like most of our modern big forwards are very slow off the line. They seem to just want to try to muscle their way into packs and somehow clunk a big mark. That will always be the worst percentage possibility. All the good forwards won most of their goals off a lead.

Which leads to the other problem: midfielders these days can't really kick. Short passes to a lead is almost a lost skill. Most of them suck at it, if they do even try it. But most of them are just bombing it in to the forward 50 and seeing what happens. It feels like most of the football tactics are invested into moving the ball out of defence and into the midfield, but not as much of it goes into forward entries. It's not even that defensive structures are so incredibly awesome - there is just no forward craft or midfield delivery to those forwards. It's a shortcoming of current AFL. Chicken/egg problem - you won't get big forwards developing their leading skills if you don't have midfielders learning how to kick stab passes to them. But if they aren't teaching this stuff anymore at younger levels, it won't be coming back. We'll just keep telling ourselves that big forwards are important to forward line structure, and we'll keep putting big guys down there who have no acceleration and just try to clunk lucky marks - and they won't even really develop great hands because it's very low percentage to take a grab in a pack or against teaming defence. Bring back the leading forward and accurate kicking midfielder!

(cue accusations that I'm living in the past and the game has gone past that)

Adelaide better win this thing or we will have a team winning the GF who really doesn't deserve to. Horribly dull finals series so far from an outsiders perspective. If it wasn't for the Port/Eagles draw, this would be the least exciting finals series in decades. Footy hasn't been of a high standard, one sided matches and horrible weather conditions..

Tigers whilst they aren't an attractive side to watch would definitely deserve it if they win it. Agree the games are awful to watch though.

Lingy: "All paths lead to a Geelong Richmond Grand final" STFU mate, they haven't even beaten Adelaide yet
Haha, what an absolute clown ... they've got the best team in the competition to beat first dickhead and it'll be with their home ground, crowd, and rub of the green from the umpires this time, instead of yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back