Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He actually used to watch every AFL game which a lot or professional commentators don’t do. How many do hear say ‘I didn’t watch the game’. Well if you’re a pro football watcher maybe you should
Yep that’s why I rate his insight because he knows what he’s actually talking about, and he watches all the games. A lot just talk s**t, even with the draft - a lot talk up kids, when they’ve never even watched a lot of them play.

Remember when Sydney were going to become a super team that never dropped after Buddy joined?

How Brisbane were screwed after the go home 5 because nobody would ever join?

Swings and round abouts. It may take slightly longer due to free agency but the wheel keeps turning.
FA was supposed to accelerate movement of lower ranked clubs up the ladder by equalising player talent across the league. That's not happening.

Terry has some the best formed opinions in the football media, doesn’t just use guess work. Also watches a lot of under age football so he knows the kids coming into the league.
I completely disagree but hey, feel free to lecture me on why I'm not allowed to dislike him.

I completely disagree but hey, feel free to lecture me on why I'm not allowed to dislike him.
He’s just giving his opinion of why he disagrees with yours. Don’t be so sensitive

FA was supposed to accelerate movement of lower ranked clubs up the ladder by equalising player talent across the league. That's not happening.
I'm not sure why anyone thought it would. Coz the AFL said so?

Terry has some the best formed opinions in the football media, doesn’t just use guess work. Also watches a lot of under age football so he knows the kids coming into the league.
Don't hear that much of him in my part of the world but he seems like an excellent analyst with no angle who's just addicted to the game. Interesting where he goes from here.

Duh. There's 17 spots now as opposed to 15. 😂

Hilarious jokes aside though is it really?

People forget the "Bad news" Bears and the Swans that didn't win a game for however many years. Carlton and Melbourne who were ******* terrible. The "Shockers" etc.

2020 saw Adelaide win 3 games with a percentage of 64.4%, 11 wins and 72% behind Port. I like 5 as a number so let's compare.

2015 had Carlton with 4 wins and 64.8%, 13 and 53% behind Freo.

2010 had West Coast with 4 wins and 77%, 13 and 64% behind Collingwood.

2005 had Carlton with 4 wins and 77%, 13 and 59% behind Adelaide.

2000 had St Kilda with 2 wins and 70%, 18 wins and 89% behind Essendon

1995 had Fitzroy

1990 had the Bears with 4 wins and 71%, 13 and 68% behind Essendon.

Are Adelaide that much further behind than any of them? They're actually pretty close.

Even if we look at 2019 where Gold Coast were 13 wins and 75% behind Geelong.

Gap appears to be the same for mine.
I was talking about the list and recruiting strategies that clubs can use, with the more effective strategies being more accessible to the clubs who need it the least. It made more sense in context.

Well if FA was introduced to do one thing, and it’s not doing that thing, perhaps it suggests it’s not a success?
Who says that was the only thing? I thought it was introduced to give more freedom to the players.

I was talking about the list and recruiting strategies that clubs can use, with the more effective strategies being more accessible to the clubs who need it the least. It made more sense in context.
Yes but if the end result is the on field gap remains relatively steady wouldn't it demonstrate the off field strategy "inequity" also remains a similar distance apart?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it wasn't. The draft was for that. FA was totally for players to move where they wanted to after a period of time in the league.

Not sure why people have an issue with the Cats getting a top FA. It is not like they did not lose the best player in the comp at the end of 2010 or had to trade one of last years top 3 midfielders because he wanted to go home to Perth and only to the Eagles.
Two in and two out in recent times.

Giants losing Cameron, Corr and Williams, still plenty of talent there but you think things will get a lot worse there as they slide down the ladder.
Hopper, Green, Taranto, Perryman, Ash, Caldwell, O'Halloran, Taylor, Cumming, Hill, Riccardi - kids
Kelly, Himmelberg, Whitfield, Cogs, Greene, Haynes - guns
Add Pick 8 this year plus whatever Jez gets them.

The depth doesn't bat as deep as it once did, but there are good players there.

No it wasn't. The draft was for that. FA was totally for players to move where they wanted to after a period of time in the league.
exactly.

FA is a player movement tool
Draft is for equalisation.

I think people's bother is the attraction Geelong have - Vic based, good system, geographical monopoly.

Hopper, Green, Taranto, Perryman, Ash, Caldwell, O'Halloran, Taylor, Cumming, Hill, Riccardi - kids

If only they could trade their coach for someone who actually knows what they’re doing.

Ross Lyon would be a good get for them.

They just have to draft well. They’ve butchered so many picks that havent returned them any value.

Last edited:
They just have to draft well. They’ve butchered so many picks that havent returned them any value.
They've come back to the pack now.
Losing Riverina & the recent success means they're no longer propped up from a draft point of view

Their list is unlikely to ever see that much quality concentrated again.

They've come back to the pack now.
Losing Riverina & the recent success means they're no longer propped up from a draft point of view

Their list is unlikely to ever see that much quality concentrated again.
If they hit on these draft picks like port did they’ll be fine. Ash and Green look like stars so they could build another young crop of talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back