Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I would like to hear yaco's thoughts on Brisbane's new 9-man leadership group. Maybe phone's too.
As we all know, leadership and hard work are literally the only things anyone should care about because no-one who tries hard could lose. Brisbane's 9 man leadership group, the largest in the competition, therefore suggests that they will win the flag.

Hate to say it, but Hawthorn's list is starting to sound solid. Mind you, with O'Meara, Patton and Scully, there could be a considerable gap if injuries return. It was great to read about Patton having a solid hit out. Hopefully he gets a decent run at a season.

Hate to say it, but Hawthorn's list is starting to sound solid. Mind you, with O'Meara, Patton and Scully, there could be a considerable gap if injuries return. It was great to read about Patton having a solid hit out. Hopefully he gets a decent run at a season.
Their list is probably the slowest in the AFL.

They’re well coached which means players can slot in to neatly defined roles, Richmond has the same.

So players that have limitations end up being valuable contributors since the sum of the whole is better than the parts. Someone like Hartley or Frost is a good example, watch Hawthorn get the most of of them within a defensive unit that covers their deficiencies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's solid. They'll do relatively ok to decent. Probably in the 5-10 range...

But boy are they going to be painfully boring to watch. It'll be keepings off defensive no scores BS. The two GWS games epitomise how boring but effective their brand is.

Hawthorn might not have a lot of guys who are blisteringly quick but they run hard and they don't have a lot of slow players, particularly the tall and mid-sized blokes.

Smith and Scully are well above average for speed and can maintain that speed like only a few other players in the league. Dylan Moore is the same level endurance athlete.

The father-son they picked up beat Smith in a time trial.

It's hardly telling the whole story to say that list is "slow".

Hawthorn might not have a lot of guys who are blisteringly quick but they run hard and they don't have a lot of slow players, particularly the tall and mid-sized blokes.

Smith and Scully are well above average for speed and can maintain that speed like only a few other players in the league. Dylan Moore is the same level endurance athlete.

The father-son they picked up beat Smith in a time trial.

It's hardly telling the whole story to say that they are "slow".
They have heaps of slow players. Other than Frost, all their KPP's are slow, and the fact Tom Scully is one of their quicker players says it all (and I would back 40% of our list to be quicker than him).

Their starting midfield this year will be Mitchell, Worpel, O'Meara, Smith, Howe, Scully, Shiels and Henderson. All good players, but it is as slow as a treacle. Compare that to what I think the coaches would say our best midfield would be: McGrath, Parish, Smith, Merrett, Shiel, Heppell, Cutler and Clarke (Zaka half forward). I see four players there that would outstrip their quickest (Smith) by a long way.

Unfortunately both my Footy and Cricket clubs have plenty of Hawthorne supporters, and they pretty much all agree that their biggest weakness will be sides beating them with speed from the contest and the rebound.

Excluding their draftees because I haven't seen enough to comment, the only blokes with any pace on their list now are Impey, Glass, Wingard, Jiath, Frost, Ross, Hanrahan and Golds. Two, maybe 3, of which will play regular seniors.

It's actually extremely telling that you think that mate. They'll get exposed on the spread, of that I'm very confident.

They have heaps of slow players. Other than Frost, all their KPP's are slow, and the fact Tom Scully is one of their quicker players says it all (and I would back 40% of our list to be quicker than him).

Their starting midfield this year will be Mitchell, Worpel, O'Meara, Smith, Howe, Scully, Shiels and Henderson. All good players, but it is as slow as a treacle. Compare that to what I think the coaches would say our best midfield would be: McGrath, Parish, Smith, Merrett, Shiel, Heppell, Cutler and Clarke (Zaka half forward). I see four players there that would outstrip their quickest (Smith) by a long way.

Unfortunately both my Footy and Cricket clubs have plenty of Hawthorne supporters, and they pretty much all agree that their biggest weakness will be sides beating them with speed from the contest and the rebound.

Excluding their draftees because I haven't seen enough to comment, the only blokes with any pace on their list now are Impey, Glass, Wingard, Jiath, Frost, Ross, Hanrahan and Golds. Two, maybe 3, of which will play regular seniors.

It's actually extremely telling that you think that mate. They'll get exposed on the spread, of that I'm very confident.
Hawthorns lack of pace being their downfall has to be one of the most mythical comments in football.

I remember people saying the Hawks' achilles heel has been a lack of speed for the last 10 years, including their 3 peat.

They may not be a fast team overall, but they had (and have) speed where their team structure required it - being on the wings (Smith and Hill) and pressuring up forward (Rioli). They also had a smattering of players that were 'quick' over short distances (first 5-10m) such as Breust, Puopolo which they used to full effect.

Similarly they still have Smith who has maintained his running power still, a fit Scully (who is as fast as Hill and just as good an athlete when up and going), Jarman Impey when he's back, Connor Glass and Sam Frost.
In addition they have a smattering of players that are - again - quick without being blisteringly fast in Hanrahan, Cousins, Hardwick, Wingard and the kid they just drafted in Maginess has some toe too.

Their strategy has always been to have power over the ball (tick), strong structures (always a tick with clarkson), quality skills (tick) and just enough pace where they need it to be functional. I'm not saying they will win 3 in a row (or even one this year) but their lack of pace won't be the reason.

Last edited:
Hawthorns lack of pace being their downfall has to be one of the most mythical comments in football.

I remember people saying the Hawks' achilles heel has been a lack of speed for the last 10 years, including their 3 peat.

They may not be a fast team overall, but they had (and have) speed where their team structure required it - being on the wings (Smith and Hill) and pressuring up forward (Rioli). They also had a smattering of players that were 'quick' over short distances (first 5-10m) such as Breust, Puopolo which they used to full effect.

Similarly they still have Smith who has maintained his running power still, a fit Scully (who is as fast as Hill and just as good an athlete when up and going), Jarman Impey when he's back, Connor Glass and Sam Frost.
In addition they have a smattering of players that are - again - quick without being blisteringly fast in Hanrahan, Cousins, Hardwick, Wingard and the kid they just drafted in Maginess has some toe too.

Their strategy has always been to have power over the ball (tick), strong structures (always a tick with clarkson), quality skills (tick) and just enough pace where they need it to be functional. I'm not saying they will win 3 in a row (or even one this year) but their lack of pace won't be the reason.
They had plenty of pace throughout those years, but now they have none.

Smith is not as quick as he used to be, and to suggest Scully is as quick as Hill is hilarious quite frankly. Hill is significantly quicker, although he is a good athlete. Impey is quick but not great, Glass is closer to Quinn than McKenna as far as Irishman go, and Frost does have pace, but there's still an issue of his questionable defending and is a terrible kick.

Hanrahan, Cousins are fringe best 22 at best, Hardwick is definitely not quick, Wingard, again, I said is quick, but Hawthorne being slow through the middle is definitely a thing.

aORvaE6.png

I remember a lot of the bombers fans on here said in 2018 despite the fact it was only preseason losing to Richmond like you did was a sign of things to come.

Heres hoping its the same for Geelong :thumbsu:
Preseason games are underrated. We looked like dog's breakfast the last two preseason and it showed.

Let's hope St Kilda are actually s**t, which means it's also a sign of things to come for Hawthorn :thumbsu:
Hawthorn and Geelong in the bottom 4 would be a welcome change. Add Sydney the dumb campaigners too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back