Club Focus North Melbourne 2021 - Greenwood, Coleman-Jones, Horne-Francis, Goater, Curtis, Bergman, Archer

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

What a load of ill informed nonsense

Horne-Francis is clearly the standout number 1 and the proof will be in the pudding next year.

Daicos will be a star no doubt, but I think he is not AFL level ready as JHF, and may play a significant part in the VFL next year.

I am no draft expert from all reports Horne-Francis is the most obvious/standout draftee for pick 1 since Sam Walsh.

North are goanna have a certified gun from day 1 on their hands.

I’d consider Daicos every bit as good as Horne.

Walsh wasn’t even a standout pick 1. Lukosius, Rankine and Max King were considered worthy of the first pick at stages of the year.

Rowell was the last set and forget pick 1. Then Rayner and before that Weitering.

I wrote this on the Horne-Francis thread and got berated so I might as well get berated here too. In my opinion Horne-Francis is the best kid I've seen out of SA since Andrew McLeod. How much better will he get. Anyone's guess. BTW Andrew McLeod was from NT but played the year prior to draft for Port Adelaide.

Last edited:

Every year the number 1 pick is the highest rated kid. Look back since the year 2000 it probably ends up that way maybe a handful of times. There's a couple of generational players, a bunch of good-very good guns, but a decent fist or more of disappointing players too for various reasons.

The number 1 pick isn't all it's cracked up to be.

It'll be a brave club to be the next to trade pick 1 but if they get a deal like Adelaide offered I reckon they'll do very well.

Unpopular opinion but this gets done.

North absolutely should do the deal. Just squeezing every last ounce out of the deal before agreeing.

3 players over one pretty special should be good if they choose to look at it as a sum of moving parts and not in isolation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unpopular opinion but this gets done.

North absolutely should do the deal. Just squeezing every last ounce out of the deal before agreeing.

3 players over one pretty special should be good if they choose to look at it as a sum of moving parts and not in isolation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We don’t have a future 2nd, so it’s not happening. If we knocked back the last offer, I have my doubts any offer will do.

We don’t have a future 2nd, so it’s not happening. If we knocked back the last offer, I have my doubts any offer will do.

It almost as if 95% of Bigfooty read the headline and nothing more. It's not only impossible now, it was never a '3 for 1'. It was a 3 for 2. Splitting pick one into 4 (where 4-20 is all the same tier in a compromised draft), ~6 (2022) and a very slight upgrade on 2022 second.

I wouldn't even call it a good deal considering its JHF we would have to give up.

Would this be the biggest amount ever offered for a player?
2 x top 5 picks + an upgrade into the first round.
It would be top 5 surely.
For a bloke who we don't even own yet.
Hasn't played a game.
I think the offer makes me want JHF more.
We only offering him as hes from SA... if he was VIC we wouldn't be going hard at him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how every year we hear pick one is an absolute gun and will be the next star of the game, sometimes it’s correct like a walsh and Rowell and other times it’s a Patton, Boyd, mccartin, Scully, swallow or Jack watts.
Rowell, Walsh, Raynor, McGrath Weitering were before JUH. Looks like the recruiters have a good handle on it now.

JHF was also being playing against men in a very good competition.

Rowell, Walsh, Raynor, McGrath Weitering were before JUH. Looks like the recruiters have a good handle on it now.

Until they prove they can do it in the afl there is no guarantee. He may turn out to be the next dusty, or he might just be a good average player, it’s all speculation.

You do realise your post backs up my point? If the risk of gun or bust exists either way, then having 3 bets vs 1 is more favourable.

It’s more like 2 bets though as North are every chance to be bottom 2 next year so their future second swapped for Melbourne’s future first isn’t that valuable.

Heck if JHF is that good who’s to say he doesn’t elevate Adelaide out of the bottom 4-6 then throw in a couple of academy/FS selections and all of sudden it’s two picks in the 5-10 range for pick 1. Which is probably about right but not the massive overs people would have you believe.

That’s without even taking into account that North have likely already given JHF assurances that he’ll be playing for them next year.

I love how every year we hear pick one is an absolute gun and will be the next star of the game, sometimes it’s correct like a walsh and Rowell and other times it’s a Patton, Boyd, mccartin, Scully, swallow or Jack watts.

Surely the drafting process has become sophisticated enough, so that at least the top 5 selections, are accurate and develop true to expectations.

The sanfl??… a very good competition?…

Pfffft…

Billy Frampton looked like wayne bloody carey this year in the sanfl.. how’d he play at AFL level this year?

Bryce gibbs won the megarey medal this year in the sanfl… how’d he go again in the AFL in his last couple of season?.

Young Rowe kicked over 40 goals in the sanfl in 2020 and pretty much won finals games off his own boot… was he doing the same in the AFL this year?

Rankine and lukoscious both dominated in their draft years in the sanfl.. both talked up as generational players.. Rankine as one of the best the sport has ever seen.. hows that all worked out so far?..

The Menzel brothers tore the sanfl granny apart the other day.. i remember one of them being very servicable for the cats.. the other played for the crows and was *n s**t.

How does Mitch Grigg go in the sanfl?.. hasnt he won two magereys?… did that translate to AFL level?

I could go on…and clearly you havent watched much of the SANFL. It is an absolutely massive step down from AFL level..

Pick 4, our 2022 1st and the dees 2022 1st for one young player that hasnt even played a single game at the top level is an utterly ridiculous cost to pay..

I’m pissed the club i support thinks this is a good idea (if in fact they did make this offer and this isnt all media speculation) and I’m very relieved North rejected it..

Last edited:
Until they prove they can do it in the afl there is no guarantee. He may turn out to be the next dusty, or he might just be a good average player, it’s all speculation.
About time the art of drafting becomes more sophisticated & accurate.
By the way our Sam Walsh, has played every game since being drafted , won many awards outright , as 21yr and has polled over 40 Brownlow votes, Silvagni certainly got his pick right.

North Melbourne will not trade their 1st rd pick,
it’s the media circus in full swing again, given lack of interest in the last few days of trade week , which is a drawn out saga.
Jason Horne-Francis will an excellent footballer, is elite and will put bumps on seats , a special footballer & North desperately need him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back