North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some of the angst about PPs would be reduced if they were paid back once the Club made Finals.
That is an interesting idea. But remember the issue is about the now for them. They need immediate impact on field and leadership so PP does not actually address the now.
It is free agency where this needs some sort of reform to the system so a club like that tends to get the Tom Lynch types and not sides already doing well.

Probably the later but I think because the 3 more development coaches means more attention to detail for all their youngsters to potentially develop more.
But as with anything they need to be good development coaches.

I think for the immediate impact it needs to be serious player or two or mature talented nature into the list.
Someone 25 or older that is already an established AFL player.
If they had a quality key defender like a Sam Taylor I doubt they would anywhere near as bad this season as they currently are.
But that goes away from a PP and falls into the realms of free agency

Doesnt matter what PP they are given they still need to convince a player to want to come to the club and cant see players of the quality of Sam Taylor wanting to be traded.

Looking at their recent / past draft selections they are really not doing a great job and as another poster mentioned just another 18 year old into the meat grinder.

There is decent talent at the club but not being developed well or coached well
Would be interesting to know the breakup of their talent on the list and how many are top 20 picks

You guys were extremely unlucky Dimma couldnt turn on his laptop

That's not really accurate though, he told the EFC board at the time that the Bombers list was absolutely cooked and needed a full rebuild, whereas Knights told them what they wanted to hear and that he could coach Essendon to a flag..

Even know, their current board seem a bit delusional about the current state of their list, I get the impression they actually believe they can bounce back into finals contention next year with a strong trade and free agency period 🤣🤣🤣

For some reason I thought North had been s**t for years.

They were solid 2012 to 2018 (mid range) after topping up with free agents, and this is there 3rd year of being s**t.

Give them a few more years, and then see how they go.

2014 and 2015 Roos could beat anyone, but also lose to anyone. Was a wild ride lol

But that goes away from a PP and falls into the realms of free agency
Exactly and that is what we want to see sorted out.
Free agency has compromised some of their other equalisation policies because it tends to lead to most of the quality free agents do not end up at teams that really need them. There needs to be some reform so most of them head towards teams that need more talent.
The PP is not the solution that is one of reasons to go away from PP.

A lot will be read into how the AFL responds to requests for a PP and other support. Less than fulsome support will be read as a vote of No Confidence in the future of NMFC.

Less than excessive support will be read as a vote of no confidence? This is either your worst take or greatest troll yet Horry.

I think some of the angst about PPs would be reduced if they were paid back once the Club made Finals.

At least this is an interesting brainwave. A loan pick. Of course this would have to lead to opening the floodgates on PP's because they are only a passing commodity and may lead to clubs having shorter stays in finals. Would probably impact future pick trading as well.

Saying that, I have a theory over the "angst" of PP's and that is once they are awarded and those drafts are done nobody ever thinks of them again. It's just FOMO that the guy a team wants may be drafted the pick before the one they have. Is anyone reading this thread really still feeling hard done by a previous teams PP?

Less than excessive support will be read as a vote of no confidence? This is either your worst take or greatest troll yet Horry.

At least this is an interesting brainwave. A loan pick. Of course this would have to lead to opening the floodgates on PP's because they are only a passing commodity and may lead to clubs having shorter stays in finals. Would probably impact future pick trading as well.

Saying that, I have a theory over the "angst" of PP's and that is once they are awarded and those drafts are done nobody ever thinks of them again. It's just FOMO that the guy a team wants may be drafted the pick before the one they have. Is anyone reading this thread really still feeling hard done by a previous teams PP?

I have no doubt a fulsome response will give your Club and fans broader comfort. (of course it would irritate me!)

The 'loan' pick would not have to be repaid if the recipient Club improved but stayed a mid table team. Personally I think the Lions should return some of the support they received as they are a fixture in the Finals. Mebbe their 2022 first rounder could be flicked to North.

It would. But that’s why it’s not needed. North can trade their future first, I’m guessing they’d get pick 7, at worst pick 10.

They can be proactive to get more picks in with future trades, absorbing bad contracts and so on.

It would. But that’s why it’s not needed. North can trade their future first, I’m guessing they’d get pick 7, at worst pick 10.

They can be proactive to get more picks in with future trades, absorbing bad contracts and so on.

I think North's predicament is beyond just those measures and those must be done as well as provision of support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If no to a PP, would people here have a problem with the AFL paying Clarkson to coach North for the next five years ??
Clarko wont be able to do anything at North for 3-4 years

• 5 Extra Rookie spots
  • $500k extra in the soft cap for development coaches
  • New List manager and recruiting dept
  • Allow them to only use 85% of their Cap space and bank the remainder for 2 years (that way when they are ready they can entice a good free agent or 2 to come)

Don't think North deserve a priority pick...
They can't do anything with the mass of first round picks they already have... What's another one going to do..

Think the AFL should step in and give them money outside the soft cap,
so they can attract a proper coaching group and develop these kids...
Mass of first round picks?
You mean the same if not less as every other club

FB: McKay
HB: Hall Scott
C: McDonald Cunnington
HF: JHF Thomas
FF: Zurhaar Larkey
Foll: Goldstein LDU Simpkin
Int: Greenwood, Anderson, Xerri, Ziebell

Those 16 would get games for most clubs. Cunnington obviously out.

The following are absolute good enough to contribute, they'd be at a minimum depth contributors: Stephenson, CCJ, Phillips, Powell, Bonar, Corr, Walker, Mahony, Taylor, Young, Turner, Perez, ?Polec

The list isn't awful. They need a couple of talls so they actually have some depth and they need a couple more ready made role players. The future of the midfield is strong, it just needs time, fitness and coaching to get it going. You can be a bit light on down back and in the forward line once you're breaking even in the middle and you can coach a team up from that point.

A good coach would have North looking pretty respectable within 2 years.

Agreed. Surely we can just tank repeatedly like Carlton? Has worked much better netting 0 premierships as opposed to 0 premierships for the doping program.

How many years exactly do you think we tanked to finish last? The number of years we did is 0.

Only tanking year was 2007, and we finished 2nd last .

That's not really accurate though, he told the EFC board at the time that the Bombers list was absolutely cooked and needed a full rebuild, whereas Knights told them what they wanted to hear and that he could coach Essendon to a flag..

Even know, their current board seem a bit delusional about the current state of their list, I get the impression they actually believe they can bounce back into finals contention next year with a strong trade and free agency period

They have believed that every single season from 2005 onwards.

Would they even benefit from a PP to begin with?

As others have said, no point giving them more picks if they just piss them up the wall/players want to leave ASAP.

The issues they find themselves in are far beyond on field and no amount of low draft picks will fix this.

See Carlton/Brisbane/Melbourne circa late '00s to now. They only started getting positive results when they sorted their off-field mess at each club.

The concept that clubs should be bailed out for years of horrific decision making is laughable.

There needs to be some sort of deterrent to burning the whole place to the ground.

Was almost like a plan to burn the list down get as bad as possible and beg for PPs, if you look at what they did end of 2020 to the list.

I think something is up aside from lack of talent, they look deflated like Neeld era Melbourne.

They need more experienced players around to help set standards and provide protection for the younger guys coming through.

I mean, if they hadn't stabbed him in the back for the golden child, who knows?

Suma said WCE needed a rebuild and Simmo said we could challenge for a flag.

The rest is history.

Would they even benefit from a PP to begin with?

As others have said, no point giving them more picks if they just piss them up the wall/players want to leave ASAP.

The issues they find themselves in are far beyond on field and no amount of low draft picks will fix this.

See Carlton/Brisbane/Melbourne circa late '00s to now. They only started getting positive results when they sorted their off-field mess at each club.
It will help

Get me another couple of JHF’s

It will help

Get me another JHF

Don't think a player with the issues of JH-F is what North need to be honest.

You need more young players/gins with the utmost professionalism like say Sam Walsh or Matt Rowell (pre injury)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back