NRL NRL 2024 - Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Tipping!

Thursday 28th March
Sydney Roosters vs Penrith (Allianz Stadium - 20:00)

Friday 29th March
South Sydney vs Canterbury-Bankstown (Accor Stadium - 16:05)
Brisbane vs North Queensland (Suncorp Stadium - 20:00)

Saturday 30th March
St.George-Illawarra vs Manly-Warringah (WIN Stadium - 17:30)
Gold Coast vs Dolphins (Cbus Super Stadium - 19:35)

Sunday 31st March
New Zealand vs Newcastle (Go Media Stadium - 16:05)
Cronulla-Sutherland vs Canberra (PointsBet Stadium - 18:15)

Monday 1st April
Parramattavs vs Wests Tigers (CommBank Stadium - 16:00)

Bye:
Melbourne

Any team can have an off day! :D But yeah, I do think the Panthers are a better team than the Roosters, but the Roosters showed up well in their last game after an underwhelming start. Looking forward to a good contest, over a leisurely breakfast for me!

Any team can have an off day! :D But yeah, I do think the Panthers are a better team than the Roosters, but the Roosters showed up well in their last game after an underwhelming start. Looking forward to a good contest, over a leisurely breakfast for me!

It was only Souths last round, week before Manly dealt with them fairly comfortably. If Cleary was in should be 13+ I’d still rather be on Penrith than against them

It was only Souths last round, week before Manly dealt with them fairly comfortably. If Cleary was in should be 13+ I’d still rather be on Penrith than against them
The last two weeks are irrelevant both ways in some respects.

I wouldn’t read too much into the Manly game. We couldn’t have been worse if we went out to deliberately throw the game. Neither could Souths but when they did actually throw anything at us we stayed disciplined and sensible. Round one we were airtight.

360 were pretty funny with the Roosters critique.

"They've struggled to beat them since 2019".

No s**t, just like every other team in the comp then.

I thought the same. We have lost some bloody decent players since then too.
Friend, Cordner, Cronk, Mitchell, the Morris boys, Aubusson.

As I said earlier I don’t think as much as people probably reckon you have to find something ‘extra’ to beat Penrith, that it’s the way to go:

Often when teams are so robotically relentless people go ‘oh you can’t break them down and afford to get in the grind with them they will just end up rolling over you.’ Well I don’t agree with that. The team that beat them in 2020 was Melbourne who are famous for doing just that themselves - being able to get into an arm wrestle themselves, and they did it again in round one this season.

If you can stay with Penrith and force THEM into having to come up with the trick shots, it puts them under an enormous amount of pressure.

Sometimes they will be able to do it and you just dip your lid and say ‘too good.’ Cleary showed in the grand final that he has those plays in him, he was simply amazing. But it won’t always happen.

The roosters are a side who at their peak when we had Friend, Cordner, JWH, Cronk, Aubusson, those guys just playing straight line football and setting a platform and doing percentage things, we were successful.

Since then we’ve gone away from it and Penrith have been way too strong for us. Throwing s**t at them and hoping it sticks doesn’t work.

I really hope we play hard, tough footy tonight and just do the basics right.

An embarrassing penalty for very minor obstruction for the Roosters. Then a much worse travesty to deny Joey Manu a great try.

But I get it how it could be abused. I just think it's a terrible look for a pretty much inconsequential action. Bizarre

An embarrassing penalty for very minor obstruction for the Roosters. Then a much worse travesty to deny Joey Manu a great try.

But I get it how it could be abused. I just think it's a terrible look for a pretty much inconsequential action. Bizarre

Minor? He belted the fullback over who was sliding across. Don’t get in the way

Are we talking about the same penalty? The one I was referring to was the one Roosters got midfield, just before the crusher tackle penalty they also received, just before Manu's non-try.

Oh sorry thought you were talking the JWH one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6-22 now. I guess system beats talent. Not great covering defence from Keary.

Dont underestimate the simplicity of fitness.

I’m literally watching this with an ex-Panthers player who still works with the club and he says he’s never seen any club that puts an emphasis on fitness like the Panthers do. It’s their biggest focus and they instill it not just at the top level but across all their satellite and junior clubs

This doesn’t just go for panthers but I was told explicitly how much players are coached to play for penalties like the one Edwards was given tonight.
The nrl has the answer right there in front of them and refuses to take action

This doesn’t just go for panthers but I was told explicitly how much players are coached to play for penalties like the one Edwards was given tonight.
The nrl has the answer right there in front of them and refuses to take action

Maybe but that was an obvious one not sure what the on field ref was watching. JWH had 10 metres to pull up instead took the fullback out denying him a chance to slide. Personally I like the interpretation this year, you make contact as soft as it is, penalty. The more black and white these rules are the better

Maybe but that was an obvious one not sure what the on field ref was watching. JWH had 10 metres to pull up instead took the fullback out denying him a chance to slide. Personally I like the interpretation this year, you make contact as soft as it is, penalty. The more black and white these rules are the better

If you make it black and white, that’s exactly when the room for coaching players to do it takes effect and that’s exactly what the guy I spoke to tonight said. For a reference point, he wasn’t just an average footballer and braindead bloke, he’s been a coach and development staffer for two decades, they are literally trained to make sure that they target the outside shoulder of the lead runner, that the all but ensure the lead runner will make contact etc etc.

When you make the rule black and white, you open it up to be coached that way. Because coaches can tell their players ‘if you know you can’t make the tackle or reach the attacker, do this and they HAVE to blow a penalty.’ It’s as simple as that.

The INSTANT they make any sort of announcement to say ‘we will start reviewing these objectively and apply some common sense’ that will stop. Players will still try it of course but it won’t happen nearly as much.

And with JWH, he doesn’t ’take The fullback out.’ He’s not even looking at him. Whatever your interpretation of it, he doesn’t take anyone out.

The bottom line at the end of the day is that Edwards is 25 metres away and is not involved. It’s irrelevant.

In the context of the game, it doesn’t matter as we didn’t deserve to compete. And this isn’t a roosters whinge. This is a rugby league whinge because I hate this and I have since Paul Gallen made an art form of it

And with JWH, he doesn’t ’take The fullback out.’ He’s not even looking at him. Whatever your interpretation of it, he doesn’t take anyone out.

I'd have to watch it back, but I thought JWH glanced round and saw exactly where Edwards was. Whether Edwards would ever have got across, of course, is another question. I'm not really convinced by either Walker or Keary.

I think the first questions that need to be answered are firstly, if the impeded player was making a genuine attempt to reach the ball carrier, and secondly, if the impeded player could possibly have got to the ball carrier.

Neither the Jake Trboevic one last week, nor the penalty the Roosters got prior to the Manu non-try should have been blown, on answering the first question.

And the JWH one should not have been blown on answering the 2nd. (Though I still don't think he deliberately impeded Burton, I acknowledge that it's not 100% clear and it's possible that he did.)

Another farcical decision.

Edwards's was never, ever, in a million years going to get anywhere near the try scorer instead he chooses to make contact and fall down. Hughes does it for Melbourne too a lot.

It's not black and white, it allows cheats to dictate games.

Another farcical decision.

Edwards's was never, ever, in a million years going to get anywhere near the try scorer instead he chooses to make contact and fall down. Hughes does it for Melbourne too a lot.

It's not black and white, it allows cheats to dictate games.

You are guessing whether he wouldn’t have got there this is Edwards who has made his whole career out of cover defence and it isn’t just taking him out it’s the ability to create perceived pressure. There’s a simple solution though don’t run 10m through and impede the fullback could have stopped in 5m

You are guessing whether he wouldn’t have got there this is Edwards who has made his whole career out of cover defence and it isn’t just taking him out it’s the ability to create perceived pressure. There’s a simple solution though don’t run 10m through and impede the fullback could have stopped in 5m

The NRL have admitted it was the wrong decision.

"It is of no help now to Roosters fans still seething over a controversial bunker call in the loss to the Panthers, but NRL head of Football Graham Annesley has admitted his team made an error."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back