Club History Old Port Adelaide song

Remove this Banner Ad

The `We've beaten the best in Australia ' verse was definitely still in use in the late 1960's, but I have never heard that old song in it's entirety before.
The Maggies used to play South Melbourne in trial matches from about 1968 to 1973 and I believe Big Bob liked their song so much that the club took on the `Cheer Cheer the Black and the White ' version around 1971.
My recollection is that we changed to the Notre Dame song midway through the 1977 season and there was a bit of publicity about it at the time.

I still have the 1976 Grand Final Budget and it has the words to the old "pride" song in it, so my assumption is that song would have been played had we won that day.

In those days, you only ever heard the song if the team won the premiership. Since I grew up in the drought era of 65-77, I don't think I'd ever heard that old song until I clicked on the link in the OP.

My recollection is that we changed to the Notre Dame song midway through the 1977 season and there was a bit of publicity about it at the time.

I still have the 1976 Grand Final Budget and it has the words to the old "pride" song in it, so my assumption is that song would have been played had we won that day.

In those days, you only ever heard the song if the team won the premiership. Since I grew up in the drought era of 65-77, I don't think I'd ever heard that old song until I clicked on the link in the OP.

In Brazil, the club ANTHEM (we don't call it "song") is played after a championship title.

Yes it was changed In '77. There was a projection screen upstairs. They would pull it down, turn on the overhead projector and show the the words on it so we could sing the song after we won the flag.

For those (as of myself) who have no idea what they were saying.

View attachment 435451

... that last verse about everyone being a star and being at the bar is the same as Salisbury Football Club's song... Or atleast it was when I was a junior there and assuming they haven't changed it

(we had to sing 'find us at the club' though)

... that last verse about everyone being a star and being at the bar is the same as Salisbury Football Club's song... Or atleast it was when I was a junior there and assuming they haven't changed it

(we had to sing 'find us at the club' though)
Same song as Reynella. And the Juniors all sing 'find us at the bar'.

To the tune of The Battle Hym of the Republic:

Port Adelaide boys are happy,
Port Adelaide boys are free,
Port Adelaide boys are happy,
When they go on a spree,
They never, ever worry and they never disagree,
And the war cry will be "Come 'ave a drink with me. Hey!"

Glory, glory to the Power,
And the war cry will be "Come 'ave a drink with me. Hey!"

Alternatively, to the tune of Cheer, cheer the black and the Whites:

Cheer silver, teal and the black and the whites,
Honour the Power by day and by night,
Lift that loyal banner high,
Shake out the thunder from the sky.

Whether the odds be great or be small,
We'll play on and win overall,
Whilst our players keep on fighting,
Onwards to Victory!

:cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're fair dinkum about a new chairman, new coach, new constitution and prison bars, I think this needs to be part of the debate.

Why?

Yes it was changed In '77. There was a projection screen upstairs. They would pull it down, turn on the overhead projector and show the the words on it so we could sing the song after we won the flag.

The words were actually painted on the blind. I have an idea that club member Brian Thorne who was a signwriter at Elders Signs may have done the job. As I have posted before the first night we sang the song the Big Fella yanked the blind down that hard that the whole thing finished a crumpled mess on the carpet it was a big like Big Bob's wrecking ball effort on the backdrop the night Rusell won a Magarey Medal.

I also have an idea that Eddie White from the All Stars may have recorded the music and modified the words.

IVAN-DAYMAN-001-Copy-1.jpg

Promoter Ivan Dayman along with Eddie White and his All Stars and a vocalist named Diana Trask. I wonder what happened to her?

Our 90s version of 'Power to Win' plays in Fiveaa promos for the sports show with Rowey and Timmy G and they specifically play the 'Port Power' bit from the end of the song.

The words were actually painted on the blind. I have an idea that club member Brian Thorne who was a signwriter at Elders Signs may have done the job. As I have posted before the first night we sang the song the Big Fella yanked the blind down that hard that the whole thing finished a crumpled mess on the carpet it was a big like Big Bob's wrecking ball effort on the backdrop the night Rusell won a Magarey Medal.

I also have an idea that Eddie White from the All Stars may have recorded the music and modified the words.

IVAN-DAYMAN-001-Copy-1.jpg

Promoter Ivan Dayman along with Eddie White and his All Stars and a vocalist named Diana Trask. I wonder what happened to her?

Been helping a friend clean up her late brother’s house, which was previously their family home, and between all the metal on vinyl and tons of dodgy Picture magazines found this… decided against giving it a spin lol

0d65e478344d3ab31a1d9540802543c5.jpg

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back