Oppo Camp Other Club News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The Melbourne flogs are already all over social media blaming Maynard. They have even suggested he be stripped of his premiership medal. Ffs it’s the distraction they wanted over the drugs saga. Might bring Shaun Smith out of hiding to have another crack at Maynard.

Brayshaw must have just got some bad medical news otherwise why retire just after the SSP cut off.
I hope he’s ok, I keep thinking of how bad the doggies player Liam Picken suffered and Tuck from Richmond, it’s not a good thing.

The Melbourne flogs are already all over social media blaming Maynard. They have even suggested he be stripped of his premiership medal. Ffs it’s the distraction they wanted over the drugs saga. Might bring Shaun Smith out of hiding to have another crack at Maynard.

Brayshaw must have just got some bad medical news otherwise why retire just after the SSP cut off.
I hope he’s ok, I keep thinking of how bad the doggies player Liam Picken suffered and Tuck from Richmond, it’s not a good thing.
Apparently his most recent brain scans are the reason.

Those on the Dee's solely blaming Bruz for Brayshaw's retirement must not have noticed or known why Angus wore a helmet 'prior' to the smothering incident.. 🙄

Too busy working on his concussion case trying to lynch the AFL

Same with gary ablett sr, one of the best to do it, but watching footage of him literally maiming players in the head who try and drop back in the hole to cut off his leads, then learning he wants money from the AFL for concussion issues is mind boggling

Pretty sure his case against the afl has already been resolved.

He’s subsequently been sitting in the parlor counting all his money but only gets part way through and forgets what he’s up to and has to start again. It’ll be a long process.

That perhaps this was on the cards for a while and they've released the info at an 'appropriate time' (e.g. they knew what was coming).
To take the media attention away from Joel?

Would be weird to miss out on an SSP if that was the case.

Dee's are playing some silly games then & it may not have worked, because now there's rumours the coach has been implicated in Joel's texts, lol.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointing to hear about Brayshaw. Never good to see a player's career cut short but it's understandable in the circumstances.

The collision with Maynard was the straw that broke the camel's back, but Brayshaw had an extensive history of concussion/s going back to his early years as a player so it may have only been a matter of time.

Probably best to avoid the main board for a few days.

Those on the Dee's solely blaming Bruz for Brayshaw's retirement must not have noticed or known why Angus wore a helmet 'prior' to the smothering incident.. 🙄
if you read most the comments on the Dees board, apparently Maynard is responsible for every concussion that Brayshaw suffered.

“In May 2017, Brayshaw took an "indefinite break" from the game after suffering four concussions in the space of 12 months, but had enjoyed a stellar run since his return”.

But hey, it’s Maynard’s fault remember.

Correct decision for him.

I do think Murphy has some decisions to make himself. It’s pretty evident that a history of repeated concussions means they are likely to continue.. Brayshaw and Martin as recent examples

“In May 2017, Brayshaw took an "indefinite break" from the game after suffering four concussions in the space of 12 months, but had enjoyed a stellar run since his return”.

But hey, it’s Maynard’s fault remember.

Correct decision for him.

I do think Murphy has some decisions to make himself. It’s pretty evident that a history of repeated concussions means they are likely to continue.. Brayshaw and Martin as recent examples
That's the thing though - the decisions/outcomes in all of the recent matters(Lynch, McCartin, Brayshaw, etc) have been based on medical advice. Right now, all we have been told about Murphy is that medical advice is that he is cleared to play.

The only "decisions" a player should make is to take heed of medical advice.

Melbourne have had a shocking off season.

Shocking finals season, off season and pre-season. It’ll be interesting to see how it impacts their 2024 season.

Those on the Dee's solely blaming Bruz for Brayshaw's retirement must not have noticed or known why Angus wore a helmet 'prior' to the smothering incident..
He missed 13 games in 2016 and 18 in 2017 and games in 2020 due to concussion. He also knew of the risks associated with playing AFL. He was a very good footballer and a decent person. He won't be lost to the AFL.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sad end to a good career. Dees on the hook for his full 6 year contract. Reckon they might seek some cap relief from the AFL. And I reckon they should get it. Concussion-related retirements deserve special treatment.
Im not so sure he will get that contract $$$, all players who have to retire get a payout from the AFL ($500k ?)

Can you point to where this is set out? The CBA I am guessing? A $500k termination payout for what was likely a $4m+ payment over a 6 year deal - well, that ain't a great outcome.

It's not fair for him of course, Im going off the AFL's blanket rule for concussion which is a $500k payout i'm sure, Swanny got one too after his leg was completely destroyed beyond repair as a "career ending injury"

Maybe the figure is different now. However it's not anyones fault that brayshaw was under contract for 6 years when he retired. thats kinda tough luck as bad as it sounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back