Our Duds

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of the players being listed on here were no more duds than Mumford, Prismall or Moloney.

I know (retrospectively) that Justin Murphy didn't want to be here and wasn't well liked, with the Milburn/Silvagni game at Optus Oval and Mad Monday being the culmination of everything. But to me, he seemed to always have a crack and was one of our better players the year he was at Geelong.

I'd nominate Aaron Lord and Matthew Robbins as players who didn't get much of a run with us, then kicked on to have good AFL careers after they left Geelong.

Tim Callan may be another one.

Can anyone make this Dasher/SOS polaxe game appear on a certain website pleaaaaase?

All the players mentioned so far were either let go in a reasonable trade eg, Denham for Barnes, or were poached becuase they were so good (eg diesel). Nothing uncomnfortable in what has been mentioned so far (including carazzo and Moles). The only recentish players I can think of that we let go becuase we thought he was a dud and went on to be a major star was Mathew Primus.

Cats fans often remember the number 18 on the 1989 list in Sean Denham due to the 93 tagging job he did on fellow former cat Greg Williams but not who had the famous number 4 at the time.
And I think its owner at the time of Football Nomad Adrian Fletcher would be someone who had a very worthy career after his 23 games at his first club Geelong. The career in fact went for so long and took part in so many places that most Cats fans cannot remember Fletch started as a Cat.
After 3 seasons at KP from 1989 he was traded to the Saints for the 1992 season in which he played 22 games and kicked 10 goals.
He then walked out due to a contract dispute be picked up by Brisbane where he played 5 seasons of footy for 86 (out of 90 games) and 49 goals. He also finished in the top 5 of the BF every year at the Bears and starred in their loss in the 96 prelim to North on the half back flank.
He was then traded to Freo for 4 seasons and remained at his last club a consistent name in the league’s disposal tallies throughout his career and even won a BF there. At the height of his career when at Brisbane Fletch’s disposal rate was around 26.5 a game. His average overall for his entire 12 season career was 22.9 disposals a game.
This was highly impressive for a career spanning a massive four clubs and three decades from 1989 to 2001. In fact he managed 21 games in his last season at Freo (19 of them losses) and still averaged above a respectable 22 disposal per game then at age 31 not far of the 25 per game he averaged as a fresh 19 year old Tasmanian kid in the attack at all cost/ all time high scoring Geelong side of 1989 in the 5 games of his first season.
Considering the amount of times Fletcher could get the ball over a 13 year period when stats mattered so much more and how clean his hands were he probably would of averaged 40 touches in today’s football – a point emphasised by how he almost reached such number with his 39 disposals in second last season at Freo.

All the players mentioned so far were either let go in a reasonable trade eg, Denham for Barnes, or were poached becuase they were so good (eg diesel). Nothing uncomnfortable in what has been mentioned so far (including carazzo and Moles). The only recentish players I can think of that we let go becuase we thought he was a dud and went on to be a major star was Mathew Primus.

To be fair Harley did go in the other direction.

How about some DUDS we have picked up....

Anyone remember the revelation that was BRETT SPINKS (1997)

How about Mitchell White, Marc Murphy.

Makes me shudder

BRENT GRJIC from Melbourne. Played two good games in his career. Both against us, so we snaffled him. The end. ACK.

regards,

REB

Quite good actually. Became a general across the half back line and turned into probably the bravest player I've ever seen.

You need to pick your mark a bit better.

But he didn't turn into a premiership player and that's all we care about over here.

regards,

REB

How about some DUDS we have picked up....

Anyone remember the revelation that was BRETT SPINKS (1997)

How about Mitchell White, Marc Murphy.

Makes me shudder

Well there goes a few thousand buck in shrink bills. :D

Had just been able to block out the whole Sphincter episode out of the mind and now it has all come rushing back, the slightly quicker than walking pace leads, the hands as soft as iron, the mongrel punts.

Aaaah The Big Sphincter never has a nickname summed up a trade so well

Well there goes a few thousand buck in shrink bills. :D

Had just been able to block out the whole Sphincter episode out of the mind and now it has all come rushing back, the slightly quicker than walking pace leads, the hands as soft as iron, the mongrel punts.

Aaaah The Big Sphincter never has a nickname summed up a trade so well
I remember going to a preseason game with my old man and grandfather just to see the sphincter. He kicked a goal.

It was all downhill from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Hargreaves who came from the Hawks after playing one good game, against us at KP. Was big dud - G Ayres was the coach - Enough said, I suppose. And David Haynes, ex West Coast, and one of ours Charlie Gardiner who never lived up the hype.

yes I had forgotten Denham and Fletcher. Although I think they were just pipped by better players at the time
Not really shed as duds per se
Fletch was a real journeyman but his overall game tally must have been fairly high- so we can call him successful

Tenace and Grima shredded for Glenelg this year. Good on them.

But yeah, was just looking at the 2007 team photo and was wondering what a few players are up to now...

Liam Bedford, Matthew Spencer, Stephen Owen?

Davenport has been pretty handy at the power

But yeah in general nobody in modern times has really come back to haunt us as such

When was Primus at Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back