Our logo - Cheap and Nasty

Remove this Banner Ad

I really dislike our current logo that we use. It looks cheap and nasty and is in need of an update.

I actually like the logo on the jumpers but it isn't used that often, it should be our only logo imo.

View attachment 1700683Bad

View attachment 1700684
Good
They brought these two out at the same time.

The first one has not dated, it always looked crap IMO.

Always liked the second one, and +1 for making the cat black. It would look better and be historically appropriate.

The only merch I buy is either the jersey, or retro gear with this on it.

Retro 80s/90s gear is the way to go for sure. The current logo ruins a lot of merch. The one I've noticed it ruins more than anything else is snapback caps and baseball caps. The minimalist "club logo against a single club colour" design motif that's common on snapbacks and baseball caps usually makes the logos look stylish and cool when the logo is well-designed, but when you put our modern logo on a snapback or baseball cap it just draws attention to the tackiness and childishness of the design.

Retro 80s/90s gear is the way to go for sure. The current logo ruins a lot of merch. The one I've noticed it ruins more than anything else is snapback caps and baseball caps. The minimalist "club logo against a single club colour" design motif that's common on snapbacks and baseball caps usually makes the logos look stylish and cool when the logo is well-designed, but when you put our modern logo on a snapback or baseball cap it just draws attention to the tackiness and childishness of the design.

Agreed - luckily this is available

1685835368012.png

Black cat for retro round:thumbsu:

View attachment 1706119
I quite like the logo that is the prowling Cat combined with our hoops that comes with the members game ticketing emails.

MwsmxMf.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cats.jpg This is a great effort. That cat is unidentifiable. Meaning it's neither any of the big cats and doesn't fit the mold of a house cat. But it's tough and mean looking.
The problem with our mascot, if you take the historic element out, it's quite vague. Specifically we should be known as the Geelong black cats. But we're just "cats". It's like if a team were known simply as "birds". We've got Swans, Magpies etc. But no team's known as just a generic bird.
Any logo where our cat looks like a panther is a winner for me. The Geelong basketball team (the Supercats). Their cat type creature always looks ready for action.
9167_geelong__supercats-primary-1989.png 1676222_1_O.jpg

Last edited:
Our best logo will always be the 80s and 90s logo. 😍

b104b9a4e6bade671a08b317ea23a121.gif

Absolute classic.
100%, we'll never go better than this ^ one, and THIS is the reason any retro merch with this on it over the past decade or so sells like hotcakes.

Totally agree it's a disagrace they've forgotten that the Geelong Cat, as well as the half-cat mascot, needs to be Black. The importance of this is nearly a century old. Can someone tap Drummond on the shoulder and tell him for the 100 year anniversary they might want to order a new, black half-cat suit that matches the 80/90s logo one we used to have, and dump that cutesy doe-eye crap we have currently?

In 2008 after the drought-breaking flag they had an article/letter that explained when they'd use the "on field" logo (which I do like and try to also buy merch with it) and when they'd use the cheap & nasty one that sadly gets used far too often in most cases including by the AFL.

http://www.gfc.com.au/Portals/0/cats_docs/...kyou_Letter.pdf <--- dead link now

Primary:
This is our main marketing trademark and is contemporary, youthful, energetic and even a little intimidating. It deliberately continues to emphasise our traditional hoops and cat identity. This appears on all our marketing material and symbolises our attitude of "we give everything that we've got" - Footy Full On

Secondary:
We have also introduced a very special new logo that will be found on the player's Guernsey and on field playing apparel. It represents our proud history since 1859. The hoops and cat images are continued to reinforce that sense of tradition. This shield is worn with pride and represents the honour of playing for the Geelong Cats.

Primary:
This is our main marketing trademark and is contemporary, youthful, energetic and even a little intimidating. It deliberately continues to emphasise our traditional hoops and cat identity. This appears on all our marketing material and symbolises our attitude of "we give everything that we've got" - Footy Full On

FMD, where do they dredge up these w***ers?!

View attachment 1719869This is a great effort. That cat is unidentifiable. Meaning it's neither any of the big cats and doesn't fit the mold of a house cat. But it's tough and mean looking.
The problem with our mascot, if you take the historic element out, it's quite vague. Specifically we should be known as the Geelong black cats. But we're just "cats". It's like if a team were known simply as "birds". We've got Swans, Magpies etc. But no team's known as just a generic bird.
Any logo where our cat looks like a panther is a winner for me. The Geelong basket team (the Supercats). Their cat type creature always looks ready for action.
View attachment 1719870 View attachment 1719872

I wouldn't necessarily be using Geelong basketball team as one to look up to for their logo after their rebranding over recent years - they're now Geelong United Supercats with the logo also undergoing a major change

1687514868858.png

But if you look at their singlets, the logo used is just the circle aspect without either the cat or stingray that's partially hidden underneath - they've still got the old Supercats logo on the shorts, but it feels like a secondary thought or even a concession by Mark Neeld (CEO) after the response up suggestions the nickname was going to be removed, and that's after the teams colours had already changed

Primary:

FMD, where do they dredge up these w***ers?!

This morning, I was walking down the street and found a gang of youths proudly displaying GFC gear marching from the other direction, daring challenge. I felt pure terror for the first time in my life, the hairs on my arms raised, drenched in a cold sweat, I dived for the other side of the road scarcely dogging moving traffic so reach the sturdy safety of the cement pavement. They energetically marched forward, invading the ground I once occupied, without a care of who or what stands in their way.

This morning, I was walking down the street and found a gang of youths proudly displaying GFC gear marching from the other direction, daring challenge. I felt pure terror for the first time in my life, the hairs on my arms raised, drenched in a cold sweat, I dived for the other side of the road scarcely dogging moving traffic so reach the sturdy safety of the cement pavement. They energetically marched forward, invading the ground I once occupied, without a care of who or what stands in their way.
Somewhere...someone...from the marketing team in 2007/08 has read this and felt pretty chuffed with themselves as "job done". 😂😂

It looks like a cheap bit of scribble done by a year 12 graphics student its crap.
At least we arnt the only ones with this stupid cartoon North and hawthorn have mickey mouse logos too. The old North one was the best reminded me of quantas

A professional club needs a professional logo not corporate generated childlike rubbish

Would like to see the hoops on our jumper go to a slightly lighter shade of the navy blue. Noticed it already when we changed from ISC to Cotton On. Maybe they can go a little further.

Was our jumper in the 70s a lighter blue ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back