Overrated things in life

Remove this Banner Ad

Early days of Wimbledon

Tennis in general. Used to watch it a bit but not anymore. If I do switch over and its 4-4 ill watch the end of the set, then change back to what I was watching. Often in tennis the first 8 games of a set are boring and turn over if its 4-4 or 5-5 etc. Bit like basketball, watch the last 2 mins. (I don't actually watch basketball, boring sport but you get my drift)

That could apply to any major tournament

The early rounds of the slams are for attending. It's cheap, you can sit in the crowd on the back courts close to the action, there's social events on and in Wimbledon's case toff stuff like strawberries and cream and Pimm's in the half an hour of sun they get for the year etc. Went to an AO semi the other year and it was $150 or so to sit high in the stands and you get a better view on TV anyway.

From about the 4th round on is for TV. You get the good match ups and matches which are interesting in terms of how the draw unfolds. Djokovic, Federer, Nadal are seeded 1-2-3 so aren't going to meet until the semis (which is what everyone wants to see) if they win through. Nobody wants to see the top players school some no name qualifier 6-0 6-0 6-0 but by R3 you could see Nadal vs Tsonga.

The early rounds of the slams are for attending. It's cheap, you can sit in the crowd on the back courts close to the action, there's social events on and in Wimbledon's case toff stuff like strawberries and cream and Pimm's in the half an hour of sun they get for the year etc. Went to an AO semi the other year and it was $150 or so to sit high in the stands and you get a better view on TV anyway.

From about the 4th round on is for TV. You get the good match ups and matches which are interesting in terms of how the draw unfolds. Djokovic, Federer, Nadal are seeded 1-2-3 so aren't going to meet until the semis (which is what everyone wants to see) if they win through. Nobody wants to see the top players school some no name qualifier 6-0 6-0 6-0 but by R3 you could see Nadal vs Tsonga.

Definitely, if you're going to a slam then the first 4 days is when you want to be going. After that I wouldn't bother due to pricing and there being not many matches on. Then reverse that for TV, I don't normally bother watching the first week unless there is word that there's a major upset on the cards.

Nah the first few days are the worst.

It's always hot that's amplified by the shitty school kids running around, the old people shuffling, the lines are extremely long for any court with worthwhile play and so in the end you're watching the junior doubles and... it's still packed! Some old bat asking if you've got any sunscreen left. Nah I'll be right.

Get in early and con a quarter-final ticket. From memory they're the exact same price as the fourth round. Or they used to be. The night sessions are a vibe. Have a meal, sit in the sun in an empty arena watching the pointy end of the doubles where the quality's alright, then see the main event and hope it's an epic.

The morning ones are okay too early on. You just need some luck. One year me and my girlfriend went and it was drizzling all morning, Sharapova all juiced up was playing at 8am, sun came out and roof opened, Serena Williams gave someone a flogging, and I saw Roger Federer play. Think that was like 90 bucks and I really only want to see Rafa and Anisimova now.

* sitting around not knowing what to do around a bunch of rats with no courtesy for 25 dollars. Better off grabbing a parma.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you watch on TV the people
Tennis is a bit like golf, fun to have an occasional hit but boring to watch.
This. Good game to play yourself but usually pretty boring to watch.

Also looking at the crowds on TV they seem to have a far higher % of windowlicker type fans compared to other sports.

Nah the first few days are the worst.

It's always hot that's amplified by the s**tty school kids running around, the old people shuffling, the lines are extremely long for any court with worthwhile play and so in the end you're watching the junior doubles and... it's still packed! Some old bat asking if you've got any sunscreen left. Nah I'll be right.

Get in early and con a quarter-final ticket. From memory they're the exact same price as the fourth round. Or they used to be. The night sessions are a vibe. Have a meal, sit in the sun in an empty arena watching the pointy end of the doubles where the quality's alright, then see the main event and hope it's an epic.

The morning ones are okay too early on. You just need some luck. One year me and my girlfriend went and it was drizzling all morning, Sharapova all juiced up was playing at 8am, sun came out and roof opened, Serena Williams gave someone a flogging, and I saw Roger Federer play. Think that was like 90 bucks and I really only want to see Rafa and Anisimova now.

**** sitting around not knowing what to do around a bunch of rats with no courtesy for 25 dollars. Better off grabbing a parma.
It would be worse if you got a ticket to see an Aussie play but the seat was right behind the fanatics.

It would be worse if you got a ticket to see an Aussie play but the seat was right behind the fanatics.
Come on, what wrong with these guys just showing some Aussie pride and support for our players? Don't be a killjoy!

Tennis gets people like principals and boomers who have all day Wednesday off and $300 for a ticket and a few drinks. Toffs basically.

...and then complete contiki-tier morons in face paint who probably falsely claim their great uncle died in Gallipoli. But killed bulk ahh, like Germans or some s**t first.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was living in South Yarra in the mid 80s and I remember when the neighbours saw you going out when the tennis was on, they would ask are you going to the tennis ?
Seemed strange at the time.
But it was asked like it was the normal place to go
I have been to a final with free tickets Chris Everrets last game I think??

I was living in South Yarra in the mid 80s and I remember when the neighbours saw you going out when the tennis was on, they would ask are you going to the tennis ?
Seemed strange at the time.
But it was asked like it was the normal place to go
I have been to a final with free tickets Chris Everrets last game I think??
A combination of them just being topical and friendly and the demographics of South Yarra surely? Doesn't seem that odd.

We've gone from "My Grandpa flew Messerschmitts in the war" to "my Grandpa travelled around following people play tennis to sing Aussie Aussie Aussie".

We need another war.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back