Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

His next challenge is going to be dealing with the added attention that his form will surely attract. If I was an opposition coach coming up against Port Adelaide, he's at the point where I'd look at tagging him. He can do more damage with 20 touches than Boak/Wines/Rocky can do with 30.

His next challenge is going to be dealing with the added attention that his form will surely attract. If I was an opposition coach coming up against Port Adelaide, he's at the point where I'd look at tagging him. He can do more damage with 20 touches than Boak/Wines/Rocky can do with 30.

As if he won't thrive on that lol.

The Butters for All Australian push starts now.

Probably a spot for 3 smallish forwards in the team, with Petracca, Butler and Papley all in the conversation, assuming they don't push another mid onto the flank.

As a true half forward who can push up and be equally effective in the midfield he must be a huge shot

petracca has been an out and out mid this year. I can see them going Papley, Cameron, Butler and Dusty as the four forwards at this stage.

I think Williams will be. Has that spark about him
Genuinely hope we see him this year, just one game, could absolutely shred from the first match and give us another huge X Factor for finals.

I’ve been following Zak’s progress for a little while, my favourite player to watch that isn’t in the hoops. Hope his rise continues.

You've got a guy playing for you who could be as good as Zac Butters one day. Patrick Dangerfield. One day anyway, if he works hard.

We better have that recruiter contract lined up for Gray the day he retires from playing. What an absolute find this kid has been, easily in our top 5 players for the season, should be up there come B&F night.

Yep, I'm waiting for the moment he starts getting sniped by opposition thugs, Darren-Glass/Lucodge-on-Wingard style.

Thankfully the umpires seem to be very aware of any contact to him, unlike with Wingard who I think was wrongly stereotyped as a stager and didn't get much protection.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a gem here! Classy smart ball user who has a real X factor.

Something that doesn’t get mentioned much with Zak is that he is as courageous as they come. When it’s his time to go he’ll go harder than most. Even as a 68kg 17 year old playing seniors in the Ballarat footy league he was cannoning into and tackling blokes twice his size. Very rarely got beaten one on one.

Also very lippy on the field, loves firing up the opposition and getting under their skin, has a real confidence about him and had the class to back it up!

Hope he has a fine career with your mob!

How goods this

I really want to believe that Dylan Williams is going to be a superstar too, so we can watch him and Butters work magic together for a very long time.
I was very impressed with his 3(?) goals in the Family Day scratch match, oh and by the way where's our top draft pick.

I do feel like Butters, as a serial pest, has potential to shake a tag more easily than most players.

He sees players in position that others don’t, and to top it off he fires off 20 mtr handballs to those players without those players having to change direction or stride, just incredible to watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back