Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury report: Lord undergoes arthroscopy​

Young forward Ollie Lord will undergo surgery after sustaining a knee injury over the weekend ... with a timeline for return to become clearer following the procedure.

So currently they have no friggin' idea what they will find in there!
Mad Mr Bean GIF by Working Title

Last edited:
Why does the club always insist on dripping bad news in increments. Carr said yesterday that he wouldn't need surgery but now he needs exploratory surgery. Its as if they feel the need to cover up or something. They always under report the seriousness of any injuries and eventually minor things turn out to be serious, short or medium term become season ending. Are they afraid of losing memberships? I don't get it.

Why does the club always insist on dripping bad news in increments. Carr said yesterday that he wouldn't need surgery but now he needs exploratory surgery. Its as if they feel the need to cover up or something. They always under report the seriousness of any injuries and eventually minor things turn out to be serious, short or medium term become season ending. Are they afraid of losing memberships? I don't get it.
I safely assume everything that comes out of the club is untrue, injury related or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For decades the PAFC was described by Vic clubs who tried to prise players out of Alberton as a place for homing pigeons and boomerangs.

Eg back in the mid 1970's when Carlton signed Max James to a form 4, Big Bob McLean responded about 2 days later by signing their state fullback Geoff Southby also to a form 4, which was sensational for its audacity and was clearly a big up yours to one of the big 4 Vic clubs.

By comparison the bloke who has described us as the `little old blue collar club from Alberton' would never have the cajones to do anything even remotely like that, he couldn't even win that ridiculous jumper colour debate with an absolute minnow club in gold coast for a game in china.

Under this current regime Port was described about 4 or 5 seasons back by an AFL employee as a `smoke and mirrors club' which in the case of reporting injuries to members and supporters is often unfortunately correct, and like others I too doubt we will see Lord back on the park for at least 2 or 3 months!

8-10 weeks is a long recovery time for a meniscus 'tidy-up', unless it was his first arthroscopy.

Reason for the 8-10 week recovery time:

"Lord landed heavily in a marking contest, with scans showing high-grade bone bruising on the knee and an impaction fracture in the tibia."

The arthroscopy was to rule out structural abnormality in the knee as a precaution

8-10 weeks is a long recovery time for a meniscus 'tidy-up', unless it was his first arthroscopy.
Forget the minor meniscectomy in a young fit athlete, it's the bone bruising that we want to worry about. That can be a really shitty injury, lasting up to three months or more, depending on location.

IMO, 8-10 weeks will be a good outcome!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back