News Karl Amon departs for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

When did we last sign Karl to a contract? Was it back when he was a spud? Or when he'd played one good season out of 5? Did he deserve a long term deal 3 years ago that put him in the top 25%?
Then renegotiate the contract, as we have done with many other players.

If Karlos lands us a 1st round pick and there’s enough interest out there to suggest that he will then FA/RFA is neither here nor there it’s a pretty good deal.

Players that wanted to stay.
His contract could have been renegotiated after his break out year to ensure he was in the top 25%. We could have even offered at the end of last year to pay him more in 2022 only. What else were we doing with the salary cap after we were rejected by Merrett?

wouldn't break the bank over him, but would be disappointed to lose Karl. don't think there is anyone on the list ready to step into his role, and i feel he'd be a bigger loss than some on here think. Sinn possibly but i feel he's a while off, and i don't think Xavier, Miles or Bonner have his his hurt factor.

wouldn't break the bank over him, but would be disappointed to lose Karl. don't think there is anyone on the list ready to step into his role, and i feel he'd be a bigger loss than some on here think. Sinn possibly but i feel he's a while off, and i don't think Xavier, Miles or Bonner have his his hurt factor.
If Farrell could get more ball, then he would have Amon's hurt factor. Maybe more.

Remember when we were do worried about losing Polec?

If we get a first rounder take it and run.

If we're only getting a 2nd rounder then we should be able to outbid the contract so pay the man.
He is UFA. If someone offers him a contract and he accepts, he's gone. Players aren't going to leave on a whim. A token increase isn't going to change his mind about going. He's also not the kind of player you overpay to retain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Karl has lived a few doors down from me for a couple of years... Always kept the VIC plates on his car. Take it with a pinch of salt, but it strikes me that he's never put down strong roots in Adelaide.
The day he announces he's leaving Port report him to the police

Half back flankers and wingers are easily replaceable. Make him a fair offer and if he doesn't want to take it then an amicable parting of ways is cool with me.
Massively disagree.

Halfback is fairly common, but wing is a very hard position to find quality in.

How many better wings than Amon are there in the league right now? A league with 650+ players..

Of the 17 other clubs how many teams have wingmen better than Amon? Forget two, or more, how many teams even have 1 wingman on their 40 man list better than Amon?

*, there’s clubs who haven’t been able to draft and develop a quality wingman in years. Carlton have busted on a tonne of attempts and then went after a halfback with a $4.8m 6 year offer to move onto the wing, which failed. They still really don’t have quality on the wings. same as half a dozen other clubs.

Having said that we are one of the deeper teams with wings and running mids / running halfbacks who might be wings.

The Age today-

St Kilda to talk with Power free agent Amon​

Jake Niall

By Jake Niall

May 12, 2022 — 5.00am

Seems all pretty open and imagine club is happy for him to explore options. He will have a good feel for his value on the market and we will be able to gauge what we could expect in compo. Then all will have to weigh up the options, fairly mature process in todays market.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back