Review Round 12, 2023 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest concern to me was the midfield once Lycett was off, We let Hawks players start with space at the bounce. Expecting a rucks to win it or complete. Need to close down the space. Same thing happened on few teakle games.

You went a bit further than what we were discussing. We were talking about people complaining about our second half and its possible repercussions.
I’m not sure about that one I guess time will tell.
If we get up Friday night and win it maybe is was a good thing.
As another poster said percentage might not be a issue for us if we have wins on the board as there is starting to be a bit of a gap between us and the rest.
You got about 7 teams all very close before you get to the top 4 and we are well inside that at the moment.
As always the next couple of weeks are big for us.

Outstanding first half. Flat second.
You can get bunged up worrying about the latter, but the reality is we won by 10 goals.
Was brilliant to watch in the first half and we would have beaten anyone. It wasn't like Hawthorn were going to lay down.

Boosted percentage, in a year where percentage wont be as bigger factor in the top 8, or top 4 for that matter. Job done, move on to next week.

Not trying to fuel a conspiracy, but you have to ask yourself how much game day coaching Ken is really doing.
I certainly don’t see much of the headset in comms with the assistants, looking at computers with stats pages with assistants, or reviewing any live game day vision with assistants.

Thats not a bad thing, it might be from Rd 4 we have decided to go AFL trendsetter on the soccer manager path, with Ken setting strategies and player management, and leaving the game day tactics to Carr and co.
This is all very plausible if Ken gets the arse and Carr who’s been the brains behind the improvement gets the gig.
Unfortunately it’s looking more likely with every win that Ken will come up smelling like Roses again.
If that happens the Carr coaching theory is up ship creek.
Unless Ken has offered him a share in a Greyhound and an assistant coach job for as long as Ken’s there.
Think about it what would motivate Carr to help keep Ken in a job unless Carr is leaving and wants Ken there knowing he will get a sure win against Port every time they play 😂 OR Carr has been told Ken is out at years end and he’s got the job.
Anything else just doesn’t add up.

Back in 02 and 03 we were guilty of putting the cue in the rack. I honestly believe it was a factor to us choking in those finals series.

Yep. I agree. We used to do it a lot. Big lead, then shut up shop, take Treds, Francou, Primus et al off the ground and let the other team kick the last 3-4 goals of the game.

Back in 02 and 03 we were guilty of putting the cue in the rack. I honestly believe it was a factor to us choking in those finals series.
Yep this has been going on even before Donuts.
Nothing like the Port from the old days.
Used to grind a team into the ground that was the Fos Williams way.

Wonder what impact Boak would have had yesterday

Will be a nice inclusion next week if fit in any case

This is all very plausible if Ken gets the arse and Carr who’s been the brains behind the improvement gets the gig.
Unfortunately it’s looking more likely with every win that Ken will come up smelling like Roses again.
If that happens the Carr coaching theory is up ship creek.
Unless Ken has offered him a share in a Greyhound and an assistant coach job for as long as Ken’s there.
Think about it what would motivate Carr to help keep Ken in a job unless Carr is leaving and wants Ken there knowing he will get a sure win against Port every time they play 😂 OR Carr has been told Ken is out at years end and he’s got the job.
Anything else just doesn’t add up.

Only the club knows what the situation is. Carr taking over match day coaching responsibilities, which could ensure Ken gets another contract, makes little sense to me.

But as i've said multiple times, I can't remember the last time I saw McRae wear a headset or look at vision etc. either and i'm sure noone thinks he isn't calling the shots.

Only the club knows what the situation is. Carr taking over match day coaching responsibilities, which could ensure Ken gets another contract, makes little sense to me.

But as i've said multiple times, I can't remember the last time I saw McRae wear a headset or look at vision etc. either and i'm sure noone thinks he isn't calling the shots.
Headset on or off or bluetoothed or tiktoked, I think the most important part of all this is that since Carr and McRae have come over to their respective clubs that both teams have been coached to a very high standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just choking, also how other teams approached playing us. Instead of teams thinking of us as a ruthless destroyer of oppositions, they thought of us as a team, they could stay with and, if lucky, run over. Again we have a coach that doesn't appreciate mental destruction of teams has others hearing footsteps and worrying before the ball is even bounced.

Not sure why people are concerned about the players' fitness levels.

Ok so they got overran by Adelaide in round 3, but they came back from 20 points down in the final quarter against Sydney the week after, and also have been down in the 4th quarter before coming back to win against the Bulldogs, St. Kilda, Essendon and Melbourne. Even just a week ago the players outran Richmond in the final quarter.

Fitness is not an issue. It's all mental at this point.

When September comes round and spring comes forth, a game like that will really inspire the guys who know that if the weather is good, they have the skills and run to really apply a heap of scoreboard pressure

Was thinking the same thing. We’ve won a few tough games this season in the wet - it was excellent to come out in September conditions and show our speed and flair.

Yep this has been going on even before Donuts.
Nothing like the Port from the old days.
Used to grind a team into the ground that was the Fos Williams way.

In 1965 the player's didn't run 15 Ks a game there were 2 Rucks 6-6-6 wasn't a thing.

Our mids ran a 15k race like it was a 2k race.
No ruck in the last quarter completely gassed no way of getting numbers behind the ball at centre bounces and let a 100 point thrashing become a 55 point thrashing.

Still not a bad day out and I'm pretty sure Fos would agree.

If we win this week, then the second half was good player management. Lycett was off and some of our mids spent more time in the forward line. If we lose, then we can blame the momentum we lost in that second half. Proof will be in the pudding.

If we win this week, then the second half was good player management. Lycett was off and some of our mids spent more time in the forward line. If we lose, then we can blame the momentum we lost in that second half. Proof will be in the pudding.
We could lose for a myriad of reason, predetermining this will be the reason is slightly zealous

In 1965 the player's didn't run 15 Ks a game there were 2 Rucks 6-6-6 wasn't a thing.

Our mids ran a 15k race like it was a 2k race.
No ruck in the last quarter completely gassed no way of getting numbers behind the ball at centre bounces and let a 100 point thrashing become a 55 point thrashing.

Still not a bad day out and I'm pretty sure Fos would agree.
Good point re the different eras, although if you look at footage from Maggie games under John Cahill in the late 80's to mid 90's there was a lot more continuous ball movement ( particularly in finals) that was closer to today's game style than that of the 50's and 60's.

What used to annoy the hell out of me, and many other Port supporters I had contact with at the time was when Choco developed that penchant for closing the game down 5 minutes before time on from as early as the 2nd qtr, and you knew it was going to happen as soon as the players began waving the ball above their heads, it often burnt valuable percentage and in some cases even cost us the 4 points.

The game that stands out for me for that crap was when we were running all over wobblewood at the MCG, had built a 4 goal lead about 3 or 4 minutes before time on in the 2nd qtr and then started playing that stupid keepings off stuff way too early, allowing them to regroup and score the last two goals of the first half.

A potential half time lead of 5 plus goals ended up being less than two, and needless to say that gave them a sniff and they got the chocolates!

Was thinking the same thing. We’ve won a few tough games this season in the wet - it was excellent to come out in September conditions and show our speed and flair.

It is why we play well at Marvel. Perfect conditions apart from the grass. No wind. Good for skilful teams. Should be interesting to see whether we can crack a big quarter against the Doggies this weekend.

We have some sweet boots.

Round 12 MG MVP votes

1. Jeremy Finlayson (5 votes)
2. Connor Rozee (4 votes)
3. Zak Butters (3 votes)
4. Todd Marshall (2 votes)
5. Dan Houston (1 vote)

According to the bed wetters Hinkley is not even coaching that job has passed onto Josh Carr.
That’s the reason we are winning so the story goes.
Has gone a bit quite on that delusional theory lately as it looks like Ken might get his extension, if he does that must mean Carr has been coaching so Ken can get another contract LOL.
Seriously can’t go along with that sort of thinking unless you have mental health issues.
Tell Me More GIF by The Ops Authority | Natalie Gingrich

Remove this Banner Ad

Back