Review Round 12, 2023 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Pessimistic me would say we could've put our percentage in the 120 mark and we really blew that opportunity by shutting off.

BUT

Optimistic me would say that we have two 6-day-breaks coming up and that potentially preserving our energy by not putting the foot on the throat in this game will help us to play better in the next fortnight.

Definitely some of the most negative reactions to one of our wins that I've seen this year on this thread.

Not his fault. Lycett was very good and in retrospect our best player while he was on the ground. The others went to water the second he went off.

I also don’t like us giving Sinn a game when he barely had earned it. Anyone watching the SANFL would recognise his lazy pattern of running. Jackson and even Burgoyne would be more deserving of that opportunity today. It sets a bad precedent to play a kid who doesn’t yet have the intensity in his game to warrant selection. He may well become a superstar but he currently plays a one-way style of footy.
I thought he did some nice stuff today but I also admit I didn’t see the port v north game or much of the game before.

I thought he did some nice stuff today but I also admit I didn’t see the port v north game or much of the game before.
Sinn’s got some great weapons and I’m confident can be a star. I just don’t think the priority right now should be giving him AFL games, and definitely not as a sub.

He needs a substantial body of consistent footy behind him and needs to be as hungry and desperate as possible to work hard for his AFL opportunities. If he can get his fitness up with more full games, and improve his gut running and tenacity, he’ll be a superstar.

I would have loved to see Jackson get the opportunity today. Really think he’s earnt it this year.

The first half had some of the sharpest ball movement I have seen.

Hit targets superbly to open the game up and finished well. Pretty much all I had hoped for at the start of the day.

Handfuls of goals to Jez and Todd, four to Rioli who just instinctively bangs them through in the blink of an eye, and some nice set up plays too.

Second half was awful as soon as Lycett went off and we cut the engines. It was a pity because it had been a rollicking ride until then.

But our best is something else. We are still building and the talent and depth of our midfield is awesome.

Just watched the replay of the first half – insane football. So efficient and the pressure was incredible. Disappointing second half, but no way port were maintaining that level in a home and away game. Hawthorn just aren't that bad.

Focus on the level port were able to reach. Was unbeatable

Our running patterns moving the ball out of d50 has improved out of sight over the season. And nearly every player is prepared to hold on to the ball and work through the added pressure to find an ideal target, instead of just jamming it onto their boot.

Lycett could barely jog mid way through the second which is a bit of a worry for next week.

First ever trip to adelaide one not to forget. Live at the ground, never realised this as primarily based in melbourne but gee everyone gets around SPP. JHF was super dirty with himself after the final sieran for losing a contest and allowing his opponent have the final shot at goal. Butters was puffed and showed with a few miskicks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Covered 298km today as a team which is by a large margin the most for the year. Will be absolutely cooked come next Friday. Hope the Bulldogs get banged up tonight

Surely you don't get as puffed if you jog behind your opponent for the last 100km. Besides training during the week will be lunches at KFC :)

It wasn't wet and heavy conditions, it wasn't a brutal, contested match. It wasn't humid. All those factors impact on player fatigue. It was unseasonably warm but no hotter than March for example.

I would be interested in the individual breakdowns. Did most players run further? A particular group? Our midfielders? Particular players etc.

Still it will be interesting to see how they look on Friday night.

The funny thing was in 2015 we held on to Ken and let go of Phil Walsh in what seemed an obviously correct decision at the time.

That was one out of the box.

Walsh had given assurances he was returning to settle down in Adelaide and be a 2IC/Midfield Manager at Port until retirement. Absolutely no ambition to be a senior.

And then Ricciuto watched Port’s midfield go through the competition like a wrecking ball in Walsh’s first year back and made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

One of the more pointed sliding doors given how it all panned out, but in purely football terms, Walsh was a GOAT-caliber assistant coach, and his exit from Alberton was a torpedo for the club’s seemingly irresistible trajectory.

Fifth youngest/least experienced team for the round. We’ve had a mixed run with injuries and the preseason for some, has been non existent.

I was annoyed we didn’t make it a 90 point thrashing but we have to realise we don’t have the form and fitness yet. Lord, JHF and Finlayson had shortened or absent preseasons. Lycett has about 2 games in a row in him. Marshall and Rioli coming back from some games off. The young lads have been up for awhile and probably need a rest.

So with that in mind, I’ll take the 50 point win and move on.

Champagne football in the first half , We looked great seemed to slowly fade from there , think maybe we put the cork in at half time , that or lost shape when Lycett went off .
Rozee was my best , he’d get us going again when we had lulls ,
Fimlayson was great but more before he had to start rucking ,
Marshall was excellent too , marking and general play could’ve had 6 or 7 but just missed a few.
Rioli was dynamite onto any chances , he’s a good finisher and all class , could get it a bit more but best 22 at the moment .
Dan Houston was brilliant with his. great kick and he’s pretty deadly just on 50 shooting at goals . Allir was excellent, McKenzie, , Burton, Williams, Farrell, Jones were all solid.
Butters was great again , S.P.P was a bit wobbly a few times but steadied up as the game wore on .
Bergman and Drew were solid , JHF was good . Ollie Wines was solid
I thought Lycett was good and winning the ruck which was a pleasant change We missed his bulldozing play in the centre square .
Lord couldn’t really get into it , Marshall and Finlayson were the main targets , I wouldn’t write him off but if Charlie’s back he could go back to keep working on his play .
McEntee was quite good as a pressure forward as welll as DBJ , it’d help if they were a bit better overhead to mark when they get the opportunity for a genuine one on one close to goal
Sinn looked comfortable enough and another player who’s a good kick . Bonnets spot looks up for grabs in m eyes .
I’ve probably missed someone . But basically first half bril second half boring , the las quarter they must’ve dominated possession l pet and Amon got heaps of the ball and would probably still get a game if they were here but fairly easily replaced. Can’t be too disappointed I suppose those classy midfielders we have now are helping us beat teams , with Allir in good form and some good utilities like Bergman and Houston patrolling the back play we’re looking strong as long as we can hold up in the ruck .
Ollie Lord had a decent amount of ruck time , he was mildly competitive but not getting much done . He’ll improve , hope he does , he’s a likeable character .
I can see Boak and Dixon coming back in for Lord and Bonner but when they’re ready , don’t play sore every week , it wears you down after a while .

First half was incendiary football, exactly what I wanted to see with the midfield humming and forward line thriving on quick entries with a dry deck. Kicking straight makes all the difference when you are winning the centre clearances for fun, it can spark those momentum avalanches that we haven't really seen since 2017.

Lycett was decent, he doesn't have to do much more than provide a contest but he gelled well with the mids today.

Rioli has played two great games for us so far, R1 and R12. He is great at snapping up the opportunities that come when you get it in directly and the defence doesn't have time to prepare for the crumb. Hopefully he can find a way to contribute in the scrappier games, but he could be invaluable in August/September conditions.

Second half we tinkered with the guts and it badly exposed the defence. Probably not the worst thing that we see what happens when things break down and still have time to rectify it in-season. Desperately need to find a solution to gum it up when the opposition mids get on top, because just like in the 2021 prelim the setup looks bottom 4 tier when its coming in quickly.

I’m not convinced about our fitness.
Interesting we only had a six day break and next two games are off a six day break.
Should be interesting to see if any trend develops.
Ill just point out butters has said twice now. The last 2 weeks have been the hardest ever on the training track. Which would make sense for the 2nd half fade outs

Obviously they are in a heavy training cycle atm. Which happens most years. Just hope they ease off this week for the next 2 games.

If we can win both people can then possibly pencil in top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back