Review Round 12, 2023 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

honestly the bed wetting over the second half is a bit much.

I’ve used to think like you.

I’ve been proven wrong so many times, I don’t argue anymore. I’ve simply accepted that the bed-wetters are actually right.

Sinn is a waste at half back or back pocket.
Should have thrown him into the middle. Get him around the ball and show some speed.
Thought he was the wing.

I thought he made some nice runs and passes. It was evident at ground level he was learning where to place himself. People here are very harsh. 1.5 games for the kid. He looks fit, good strength and running, give him time to settle.

Perhaps we need someone to start singing Monorail so the rest can follow.

Trying to look at that second half with a bit more reason today, it's difficult. My question is, if we were stuffed, why didn't we go into some game management stuff. Hawks were carving through us, we were clearly gassed. Okay, we were on a record pace in that first half, sort of understandable. We were still trying to play the same style in the second half when they got their run on, and we couldn't go with them.

Some silly reactions here, not happy, with second half but comfortable wio0n and lots of experiments. Big issue was once again ruck lycett going off was very significant and a concern. I assume with the return of Dixon this would have been an alternative. Lord struggled badly in ruck major height diff.
no way we score like we did today with Dixon in the team

our forward line sucks with him playing. he's as stagnant up forward as Jonas is down back

delist or trade.

we've had fast scoring games rotating DBJ, Bergman and Burton up forward

fantasia, Dixon and georgaidis take whatever is offered for them

He’s another thing for you second half doubters, would you rather the Hawks fight back or us flog them by 120 and have a complete soft game leadi mg up to the dogs?

I’ve used to think like you.

I’ve been proven wrong so many times, I don’t argue anymore. I’ve simply accepted that the bed-wetters are actually right.
According to the bed wetters Hinkley is not even coaching that job has passed onto Josh Carr.
That’s the reason we are winning so the story goes.
Has gone a bit quite on that delusional theory lately as it looks like Ken might get his extension, if he does that must mean Carr has been coaching so Ken can get another contract LOL.
Seriously can’t go along with that sort of thinking unless you have mental health issues.

According to the bed wetters Hinkley is not even coaching that job has passed onto Josh Carr.
Has gone a bit quite on that delusional theory lately as it looks like Ken might get his extension, if he does that must mean Carr has been coaching so Ken can get another contract LOL.
Seriously can’t go along with that sort of thinking unless you have mental health issues.
Not trying to fuel a conspiracy, but you have to ask yourself how much game day coaching Ken is really doing.
I certainly don’t see much of the headset in comms with the assistants, looking at computers with stats pages with assistants, or reviewing any live game day vision with assistants.

Thats not a bad thing, it might be from Rd 4 we have decided to go AFL trendsetter on the soccer manager path, with Ken setting strategies and player management, and leaving the game day tactics to Carr and co.

Saw former Crows player and Head of football Brett Burton coming out of the Adelaide Oval corporate facilities at yesterday's game.

Only my utter cowardice prevented me from asking him for advice on our upcoming camping holiday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You went a bit further than what we were discussing. We were talking about people complaining about our second half and its possible repercussions.

I was pissed with the second half & still have slight concerns over our fitness, but simmering down after the game we have been up for two months and winning tight games it might have just caught up with us a bit.
interestingly, Hawthorn ran more than us.

View attachment 1704000
Half of that was Nash “running with” everyone and only gathering 4 kicks

I'm going to say it but I am pretty happy with thrashing a young Hawks team to make it 9 in a row.
Yes, I know we took the foot off the pedal in the last half.
Yes, I know the extra percentage would have be nice.
Yes, I know Port in the SANFL would've ran over this team and Hodges would've kicked 15.
But we obliterated them into nothing in the first half and then we relaxed.

We looked sensational though.

A 20 goal demolition would have been awesome but a close to 10 goal demolition is pretty darn good and I'll take it just about every day of the week.
I agree with a few around here that this forum can be a tad negative. 9 wins in a row. 55 point drubbing. Still crying. Enjoy the champagme football of the first half. Be a bit disappointed by the 2nd half. Know they earned the 2nd half. Know the coaching staff tried a few things.

What a powerful game by a power football team with powerful skills and powerful pressure.
We killed them in the first half and never looked back. They were frightened and we capitalised on that.
Sublime skills, hard pressure, finishing off and playing like a team was fantastic.

We have seen what happens when our ruck dominates with the midfield we have. We eviscerated them. We pummelled them. We excoriated them.
I feel Lycett was down at the start of the year but since he has come back, he has played manfully and at least broke even but today we saw what happens when our ruck is winning. I think in the 1st quarter, we won centre clearances 7 to 2.
It is no coincidence that the Hawks were better when Lycett was subbed out. That and the boys relaxed overall.
Yes, a weird sub on the surface but for me, sound decision making to rest Lycett up for next week. We need him next week and the job was done against the Hawks. Lycett was getting his back cared for in the 2nd so his back is still skating on the edge, where's the epidural, type of scenario. We have seen what happens when the ruck is poor. If you didn't think we need a good, young ruckmen after this game, I suggest new eyes. So I think it was a smart and prudential move to take him off. Pity we don't have a 2nd ruck like Sam Hayes to fill in.
If Lycett goes down or his form dips, our season drops a significant amount.
So I think a very good decision in the long term.

Our midfield's synergy is unbelievably good. Huge credit to Josh Carr. They know where each other are and if there is a fumble or problem, they never say die and can turn a 25/75 ball into a possession into the F50. Super cool to watch. They know when they have space, find each other. Just the best to watch.

Rozee - best on ground. Played a tad outside on occasion. Huge metreage gained like 350 metres more than the next guy. A few kicks away from a K. Plenty of possies. I love his work. He is hard at it. Does the hard stuff. Does the cream. Can go forward and kick goals. Yes, the last few sentences are about Rozee but could be said for Butters and Horne-Francis. What a midfield.
Butters - still good, still working. Excellent game. Dunno if he got votes, maybe by reputation.
Horne-Francis - very good game. Still building. Did some hard running for defence. Love it. He is closeish to playing such a dominant game that he might rip the space-time continuum.
Lycett - handsomely won the ruck while he was on. I thought close to best on ground while only playing 70% of the game.
Houston - superb game. Run and kicking and playing that midfield/defence run off role perfectly. Has added some 1%ers to his game which I love. Just below Butters and Rozee at the moment for impact.
Drew - played his Drew game. His in and under is not needed because the other guys can get their own ball but still good. Tackled like a banshee.
Wines - building. A good game. Still has problems with decision-making moving forward. Good overall. His role should be super in and under, hard like a diamond.
Bonner - another typical Bonner game. Mid teen possies with a bit of impact.
Bergman - very good quietish game. He runs so hard and doesn't get used as much because our mids are so good. Keep running young fella. But he is there to always back up his teammates. I really love his game. Also, huge news. Played some centre bounce in the last quarter and I really liked what I saw. A few super clearances and his typical no nonsense, tough stuff. He might get a few more midfield minutes going forward. Very exciting.

Marshall - best forward on the ground. So happy that he came back without any concussion issues. Kicked 5 but set up a fair few as well. Marvellous game back. Adds that extra sweet boot to the forward line.
Finlayson - excellent game. Had 4 different opponents in the 1st Quarter. Always hunting for goals. Has a sweet boot for F50 entries. So happy for him and his partner.
Rioli - took every opportunity. Played well. You can't argue with 4 goals.
Powell-Pepper - his work rate was up from previous games. Was a bit fumbly this game.
Byrne-Jones - still doing well up forward. Under packs and stuff.
McEntee - a bit down. Just did enough today if I squint hard enough.
Lord - played 3rd tall. Decent game. Like his crash and bash. Still learning as a young forward. Just a forward.

Aliir - dominating down back. Typical AA AA game.
McKenzie - once again, very solid down back. Good game by the vet. No fuss backmen are the best.
Williams - like McKenzie, very good game down back. No fuss.
Burton - beaten a couple times but a good game. His boot is back on. Some nice kicking.
Farrell - decent game. Did enough.
Jones - he is starting to really play well. Seems to be settled in down back. Did some amazing things. Would be surprised if Jonas comes back in. We really saw that 3rd tall position being able to take marks, run off and nail some kicks for scoring involvements, something Jonas hasn't done for a while.
Sinn - I thought he played well and curtailed some goal opportunities by the Hawks, had some very nice kicks, one bad one. I really liked his sub game. Happy for him. Tough to be a sub in that game as the Power players were gassed.

Awesome win.
Lots of guys playing out of their skins in the first half.
A lot of our younger guys getting opportunities really showing out.
We actually still have a huge amount of growth to come within the team.
Narkle will be eyeing off a couple of spots on the team. We will see if he plays a good game for the Magpies.

When September comes round and spring comes forth, a game like that will really inspire the guys who know that if the weather is good, they have the skills and run to really apply a heap of scoreboard pressure.

We are going to our home away from home in Marvel Stadium to mix it with the Bulldogs midfield. Should be a good game.

Last edited:
There were a lot of similarities with this game and the 2014 elimination final. Warm day, scintillating and flawless for 2.5 quarters (cruising to an 100 point win) only to fizzle out and get our scored fairly heavily in the last quarter and win by 57.

But what’s not lost on me is we started really poorly against freo in the semi final a week later and found ourselves 5 goals down. We put the cue in the rack and didn’t pull it back out again until half time the following week.

We all know what the dogs will do to us if we aren’t switched on from the start. Besides the crows if there is one team we should try and find something extra for it’s this mob. The hurt and embarrassment they caused in 2021, shouldn’t be forgotten anytime soon.

The more I think about this the more I think it had a lot to do with self preservation yesterday just as much as running out of puff playing at a high level for 2.5 quarters on a warm day. I’m fine with it as long as we are ready to go from the start on Friday night.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The positive is we found a level of footy I didn't know the team was capable of. A really incredible brand of great to watch, attacking footy. Haven't been able to say that about Ports since we abandoned the slingshot.

The negative is that we showed when we're a bit off in the middle, we can still get absolutely cut apart 2021 prelim style. Here's hoping the mids can stay fit and maintain form when it matters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back