Review Round 12, 2023 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

First half was as well as we've played. Waltzed clearances out, hit targets, rarely lost the ball and then when we did, our pressure was manic and we smashed them in basically every contest. Great to see Marshall and Finlayson hit the scoreboard and we looked several classes above.

2nd half was as bad as we've played and the philosophy that led to it is pathetic. The class gulf between the sides was clear to see and it's completely unacceptable to allow a team you've dominated so completely to beat you in a half of footy.

I don't agree with putting the cue in the rack anyway, but what we did went well beyond that. We allowed a garbage side to get a hold of us. We didn't slow the game down or maintain possession, we just released pressure, took off our ruckman to allow them to dominate the clearances and effectively stopped playing.

Good teams kill bad teams off. They don't allow them to kick runs of goals. It might "not matter" because we won the game, but there is a psychological advantage to smashing teams that we have repeatedly refused to take at AFL level under either of our long term coaches. Not to mention percentage.

The complete change in fortunes at clearances after we decided to sub off our ruckman should put to bed any of the nonsense we've seen over the past 2 seasons playing part timers or green ruckmen. Just play a competent tap ruckman first and foremost.
Sam-Hayes.png

The idea that port fans should settle for near enough is good enough is hogwash.

We’re not a rebuilding club fresh off the mat.

This coach has had a record tenure and has a midfield previous coaches would love.

The pass mark is a grand final. And getting smacked for 2 qtrs by a bad side missing their best player doesn’t bode well for us if we’re serious.

It’s good to get the 4 points, but we need to be better, cause absolutely no one will remember 9 wins in a row.

Yep. Once again we're being told to accept that something good clubs routinely do - in this case put a team to the sword - is unrealistic for us or for some reason actually not what we want to do.

Ultimately today's game just offers a great opportunity to excercise confirmation bias.

If you have the idea that this team is stacked for talent, can produce scintillating football and that Hinkley is a master coach who is going to lead us to a premiership then you'll find all the evidence you need to support that idea in that first half.

If you have the idea that this team is mentally weak, can't defend a team that gets momentum and is bound for failure when the whips are cracking then you'll find all the evidence you need to support that idea in that second half.

In reality, it's probably best just to disregard that game. It probably told us nothing useful about the team. The next two weeks will be much more interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we want Butters to win the Brownlow we probably gotta hope he gets votes in todays game. Personally I’d go 3- Finlayson 2- Rozee 1- Houston

Hopefully the umps look at the fantasy points and give butters two votes

ah yes, just like 2015 was the year where we were ready to take over

cue ken hinkley deck chair.jpg
The funny thing was in 2015 we held on to Ken and let go of Phil Walsh in what seemed an obviously correct decision at the time.

My biggest fear is we only repeat the failures of the past if we make the same mistake and let go of Carr and extend Ken without a flag.

Watched the first half

The hawks were also dog s**t in the first half
Nothing like their game last week against the Saints

Ive flicked over to the crows game but it makes sense the improved in the 2nd half

Poo to you please.
I’ll add, I’m enjoying footy a lot more having less expectations. Rather than wanting a 100 point drubbing or 50 point result I’m grateful if we win.

I’m also grateful we’re top 2 by two games when I expected us not to even make finals.

I’ll look at finals at round 23. I’m just enjoying the boys win and give maximum effort

If we want Butters to win the Brownlow we probably gotta hope he gets votes in todays game. Personally I’d go 3- Finlayson 2- Rozee 1- Houston

Hopefully the umps look at the fantasy points and give butters two votes

Optimistic call thinking we'll get the three votes.

At the game you could see the players looked knackered just before half time. They did a heap a running in the hottest part of the day - I said to my son that hawthorn would come back but I didn’t think that well. port couldnt get a clearance and the hawks always had a free player at the back of each pack.
Yep, I think that’s what Houston meant when he said they should have slowed it down in the first half - they were absolutely knackered. 25 degrees in June is insane.

Loved the first half, like everyone else I became fixated on the % which is always dangerous. Glad they took Lycett off he’s only 3 games in and we have 2 six day breaks that are 2 big games he’s up against English next week. Love the way we’re managing players this year. More time for Sinn and Lord is fantastic.

You have to make a decision on what’s more important, getting the wins and staying a game clear or going hard at % which won’t matter if we keep getting the wins.

And yes, doing both the % and the wins would be ideal but it’s not the under 10’s hawthorn beat St kilda last week no one thought today would be a walk over I reckon it was David King who predicted an upset, hope you enjoyed the first half Kingy.

At least the Triple M radio commentary team with BT, Vince and Brayshaw are actually calling out that pathetic second half.

And blaming Ken's coaching decisions for it too.
Timmy g and tredrea didn't take it easy either

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back