News Pies Player-Toucher banned for rest of 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

How often does this happen.
Not very at all.
Why?
Because 99.9% of people going to the footy know YOU DON'T TOUCH PLAYERS DURING THE GAME.
If you are the .1% who are either to stupid to realize this or just want to do it anyway for whatever personal reason you have then cop your punishment.
FWIW it should be a flat 12 month ban, no suspended crap, at a starting point. Any untoward or worse contact obviously more.

That’s cool, but what right does the player then have to force himself into a spectator? Got to work both ways.

You're welcome to pull back if a player attempts to initiate contact.

But again, the whole workplace factor goes one way but not the other given you're not at work when you're at the footy.

You seem really invested in this, do you regularly feel the urge to grab or touch players?

But again, the whole workplace factor goes one way but not the other given you're not at work when you're at the footy.

You seem really invested in this, do you regularly feel the urge to grab or touch players?

Not at all, I think this blokes been made a scapegoat over something that is not part of our culture and has never been. I hate living in a what if world.

Not at all, I think this blokes been made a scapegoat over something that is not part of our culture and has never been. I hate living in a what if world.

It's not a necessary part of our culture to grab players without their express permission at the game. It's not a part of the game. It's not something the AFL wants. So they enact heavy penalties when it happens to make it bleedingly obvious that it's unacceptable.

Very simple stuff.

Don't want to be banned for grabbing players? Don't grab them. It's their workplace. In no other workplace are you permitted to grab an employee without their express permission.

Seems to me like you're angry about something that's not an issue.

We just cant have it, doesnt matter what the culture is.
There has to be 0 tolerance otherwise some ****wits will get bright ideas and keep trying to touch or hug players any time theyre near the fence because they know they wont cop any punishment.
It WILL happen at some point, the AFL has a responsibility to look after players while they are working. While on the field they are working, they are not there to be groped by randoms in the crowd

It’s worth pointing out that many real laws operate on a what if basis. For instance, speeding and driving under the influence are not definitively wrong (like hitting someone or stealing). Rather it has been determined that under those circumstances, the potential to injure yourself and others is too high and as such it is discouraged with fines, points etc.

Similarly the AFL has determined that it does not want fans touching players and has implemented punishments for those that do. The fact that old mate just genuinely had a brain fade sucks for him, but he’ll learn and be back next year.

It's a perfectly valid point.
Some people don't want to be touched by players when they go to the footy either.

No idea why you're talking about workplace as if that gives a player the right, is a cop allowed to lean into a car and hug the driver?

Anyway, the spectator now knows not to do it and anyone that thinks they can, now know they can't, but beware players, this could also go the other way.

It's a perfectly valid point.
Some people don't want to be touched by players when they go to the footy either.

No idea why you're talking about workplace as if that gives a player the right, is a cop allowed to lean into a car and hug the driver?

Anyway, the spectator now knows not to do it and anyone that thinks they can, now know they can't, but beware players, this could also go the other way.

I'm fully supportive of any player who forces a spectator to touch them to also be sanctioned if that helps.

It's a weird talking point though, seems people are upset that they can't just grab players?

No No Square GIF - No No Square No No GIFs

This will be implemented on the gameday tvs around the ground . Stop dont touch me there , this is my no no square

oh i love this!!! i hate it when people in queues touch me!

I'm fully supportive of any player who forces a spectator to touch them to also be sanctioned if that helps.

It's a weird talking point though, seems people are upset that they can't just grab players?
No, I agree, spectators should not touch players.

But the point greatwhiteshark was making is a very valid point.
Some posters are saying that it could have got ugly if a more senior player was grabbed, well if a oppo player touched the wrong person, it could also get ugly.

I'm completely in favour of the ban. Speculating on the guy's motives here granted, but the only rational explanation for grabbing a second gamer from the away team, in a boring training drill victory for the home team is that he wanted to get his face on TV. Well, mission accomplished.

As for the whatabouts I couldn't care less if they banned the crowd storming the park in the once-in-a-quarter-century case of a player reaching 100 goals in a season or 1000 goals in a career. I wouldn't care if there was some tokenistic fine for a player going too far in initiating contact with supporters during the game. This sort of thing needs a penalty and I admit a slight bit of glee since I'm confident that the only explanation for his bizarre actions is so he could post it on social media.

No, I agree, spectators should not touch players.

But the point greatwhiteshark was making is a very valid point.
Some posters are saying that it could have got ugly if a more senior player was grabbed, well if a oppo player touched the wrong person, it could also get ugly.

He's just a boomer having a whinge about the world being woke type thing. I wouldn't assume there's much of a point behind it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can high five if the player offers it, or they jump the fence after a flag...and you can mob a centurion. That's about it.

Our bloke got off lightly, isnt he a harmless soul? IIRC has taken meds in the past for some problems, that's probably why it was a lighter punishment.

The young player did the right thing too, larynx was unchopped, all good.

Personally I feel for the guy and don’t like that he was suspended for this.

However, it’s probably an issue that needs to be decided by precedent rather than on a case by case basis. It’s hard to determine what is and isn’t okay when it comes to people’s personal boundaries and there isn’t really a straightforward answer for what is and isn’t acceptable when it comes to fans touching players…

That being said, context is important. If a player barrelled over the fence straight into a pack of fans, which has happened many times before, and one of them patted them on the back, would they cop a ban? If a fan leaned over the railing for a hi-five after a goal and it was reciprocated, would they get banned?

The guy who moved from his seat and slapped Pickett on the back last year set a lame precedent. That, to me, didn’t feel like it was done with good intent, and now it’s the standard that all interactions are being held to.

distract, hinder or interfere with an AFL Official, player,
Have these terms been defined?

So when people shout over the fence are they distracting the player?

The Pies fan in question with the face tattoo - Justin Whitcombe - is an artist and he actually painted this picture for me which hangs from my wall.

My Girlfriend at the time, who lives in Geelong (where he is from) arranged him to do it for my birthday. I love it. Apparently he’s just a really nice guy.

IMG_6372.jpeg

Last edited:
I know Justin just from interaction with him as a customer, must say DAN26, that picture is really fantastic artwork by him. He's always been polite to me and my workmates, and certainly going by his interview on Ch 7, he's certainly contrite and accepting of his suspension. Every chance he may have had issues in his life as a younger man, but everyone deserves a chance to redeem, and honestly he's accepting of his lot with this. Clearly a huge Pies fan if he gets as close to the fence for his games, and it will hurt him not to go. But I reckon he'll never offend again as a spectator by touching a player.

I was just thinking too, Jeremy Cameron has more than once landed over the fence at a game, and I think even in the Hawks match last year when he kicked 7 did a bunch of running high-fives to fans along the fence. I think if a player does leap over the fence or falls over it, and a fan or two help break the fall or something that should be considered harmless. I guess the main take away is, don't initiate contact at any cost. And I'm sure Justin's learned that lesson now.

AFL - "nobody is allowed to touch players under any circumstance..."

Nek minute

View attachment 1989569
Everybody know's if you kick 100 goals or 1000 goals, all rules are paused for 10-15 minutes.

Unfortunately, it's going to take awhile till we see it again.

The Pies fan in question with the face tattoo - Justin Whitcombe - is an artist and he actually painted this picture for me which hangs from my wall.

My Girlfriend at the time, who lives in Geelong (where he is from) arranged him to do it for my birthday. I love it. Apparently he’s just a really nice guy.

View attachment 1989669
Cool picture.

Sometimes nice people do dumb things, I guess

Remove this Banner Ad

Back