Planning for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I think those 4 will stand you in gre

McDonald highly like to average more playing a predominately midfield role, especially given the lack of quality depth at the Roos this season. Burton being in the top 6 is a personal gut feeling, one that I can't justify on previous performance or obvious opportunity to make a case for. My personal belief is he'll be a smokey for an outside midfield role for the hawks this season, replacing Hartung and floating back as a defensive winger. We are yet to see that eventuate and we haven't' got into JLT either.
That was my hope for Burton this season but he hasn't trained with the mids at all from what i have heard and been down back all pre season.

However in his first full season he managed a 84 average and it was his first time playing down back as well. He is also one of our best kicks and i think we are going to look to get the ball in his hands as much as possible. I am nervous about him but i think he could be great value and could finish as a top 6 defender. Also in under 5% of teams so he could be a bit of a pod without needing to take a huge risk.

Scott has turned me off ever so slightly on Mcdonald but that could change pending role in preseason.

Starting to really come around to the idea of Walters.

If Blakelys back then i think he could feature as a pure onballer with rest forward.

Wouldve been more confident had Harley been lining up round 1.

That was my hope for Burton this season but he hasn't trained with the mids at all from what i have heard and been down back all pre season.

However in his first full season he managed a 84 average and it was his first time playing down back as well. He is also one of our best kicks and i think we are going to look to get the ball in his hands as much as possible. I am nervous about him but i think he could be great value and could finish as a top 6 defender. Also in under 5% of teams so he could be a bit of a pod without needing to take a huge risk.

and the year before he was returning from a severe knee/leg injury that some considered worst than a car crash victim. I was very suprised he even played in his first year with so much time missed.

For him to step up like he did in just his second year was a huge effort. Has the DT game of kicks and marks.

and the year before he was returning from a severe knee/leg injury that some considered worst than a car crash victim. I was very suprised he even played in his first year with so much time missed.

For him to step up like he did in just his second year was a huge effort. Has the DT game of kicks and marks.
Yea mate i can not believe just how well he has adapted to AFL level after missing so much footy in his junior years.

Right in contention for me.

As a Bomber fan what do you think of McGrath? Obviously killed it last season down back and is being talked up for a midfield role, do you think he will play long minutes in the midfield or will he take a bit more time to break in to it permanently?

I am very keen on starting him but i am a little scared he could be the Mills of last season. Killed in his first season and was talked up for some midfield time but got hit with the second year blues. I am back and forth on him more then most so far this pre season.

Yea mate i can not believe just how well he has adapted to AFL level after missing so much footy in his junior years.

As a Bomber fan what do you think of McGrath? Obviously killed it last season down back and is being talked up for a midfield role, do you think he will play long minutes in the midfield or will he take a bit more time to break in to it permanently?

I am very keen on starting him but i am a little scared he could be the Mills of last season. Killed in his first season and was talked up for some midfield time but got hit with the second year blues. I am back and forth on him more then most so far this pre season.

i wouldnt be too worried about comparing mcgrath with mills. mills thrives on the defensive stuff and doesn't offer the dash that mcgrath has. mills is a good back pocket who hasn't even been tested in the afl midfield yet. mcgrath would offer alot more run and carry and never get tagged.

i have a question for people. is anyone starting with all 3 of Mitchell danger and merrett. in my opinion they are the top 3 mids and not starting with any of them just means you'll be chasing all year to get them in.

also, im definitely biased here but im surprised clayton oliver isnt getting more love. averaged more than 100 in his second season and now going into the glorious '3rd year'. sure he could kick it a bit more but i dont see why he couldnt go 110+

i wouldnt be too worried about comparing mcgrath with mills. mills thrives on the defensive stuff and doesn't offer the dash that mcgrath has. mills is a good back pocket who hasn't even been tested in the afl midfield yet. mcgrath would offer alot more run and carry and never get tagged.

i have a question for people. is anyone starting with all 3 of Mitchell danger and merrett. in my opinion they are the top 3 mids and not starting with any of them just means you'll be chasing all year to get them in.

also, im definitely biased here but im surprised clayton oliver isnt getting more love. averaged more than 100 in his second season and now going into the glorious '3rd year'. sure he could kick it a bit more but i dont see why he couldnt go 110+
I have had all 3 of them at times but am currently only running Mitchell and Danger. If Nic Nat is named round 1 i think i will try and squeeze all 3 in but i don't think it's possible to start all 3 and try to get Jacobs or Kreuzer in without gutting my team.

I have had Clayton Oliver in at times and i like him as an option, but what is his purpose? Last year he made great coin and could be a luxury upgrade later in the season. At $715k i think you can only start him if you think he is going to be a top 8 mid this season and i am not sure he will be. The beauty with him is we know he can find the footy for fun, all he needs to do to become a top tier premo mid is even out that kick to handball ratio a little bit more. I am also very confident that will happen over time, once he gets a bit more experience and becomes more comfortable he will even that out, but will that be this year?

He is a JLT watch for me and someone that i want to pick so i hope he shows me what i want to see.

Mcgrath will be a full midfielder. No doubt and no question. Wing for almost 100% of his game time.

The guy who won the comp last year didnt start with any of Dangerfield, Zerrett, Rocky and the same was said last year.

So thats a no you dont have to. These guys will be 50-100k cheaper at some point in the year

Defenders for me. Past 496k it drops off completely to 170k rookies.
Ryan Clarke ar 484k who's just under that mark is someone I haven't had in my team yet but I am going to keep an eye on, same with Angus Brayshaw at 462k.

Mitch Hibberd at 235k, Cam O'Shea at 231k and Jack Scrimshaw at 231k are three more expensive rookies I'm looking at.

With out a doubt not a lot on the radar at the moment but a good JLT Series from any of those players could see them become pretty popular picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without knowing much about how the Pies will set up and with DeGoey having a spell in LaLaLand, Does this open the door for Stephenson?
any Pies fans?

Galluci vs Christiansen?
Feel brissie will rest Cr. or bring in younger players whereas if Galluci starts ok he will get a long run at it
Can only play so many youngsters, though, need a few old heads in the side.

Lions have lost Rocky; they gain Hodge in the backline and regain Robbo as a fwd/mid but I think Bundy is an important addition for them too. I can see him being rested, but barring issues I think he plays round 1 and hopefully enough games to allow us to upgrade him to a premo.

Galluci vs Christiansen?
Feel brissie will rest Cr. or bring in younger players whereas if Galluci starts ok he will get a long run at it
Galluci would want to hit some targets by foot in the JLT, there's plenty breathing down his neck for a spot in the crows 22

Thoughts?

Considering Burton & Hanley at DEF over Crisp/McGrath.

Would love Treloar/Gibbs in mid but think there are too many bargains. Have I gone with too many expensive rooks?

Love Goldy to bounce back.

Had McLean in but had to downgrade to Lobb.

Thoughts?

Would love Treloar/Gibbs in mid but think there are too many bargains. Have I gone with too many expensive rooks?

round 1 will answer that question. i like the goldy/gawn combo i just can't find the coin for it.
I'm going with Hanley and McGrath at the moment.

Thoughts?

I personally don't mind the expeno rookie approach as I think it gives you a much better safety net in the first few rounds. Can see most of those guys playing consistently to begin the season at least compared with some of the cheaper rookies who are right on the absolute fringes

I personally don't mind the expeno rookie approach as I think it gives you a much better safety net in the first few rounds. Can see most of those guys playing consistently to begin the season at least compared with some of the cheaper rookies who are right on the absolute fringes
I like the expensive rooks, worst case they get dropped after a couple of games and they are already at 300K+, thats a nice downgrade upgrade option regardless, you are kind of paying for the price increase ahead of time without having to wait weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back