Players who get off lightly from past indiscretions

Remove this Banner Ad

ShriekingShack

Senior List
Jun 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
There are certain players in our game who have done some very average things in their lifetime, be it on or off the field. Some of these players are disgraced and flayed by the media and public alike, their actions never forgotten.

However, there are other players who have done some disgraceful things, yet they are either welcomed back into the fold or were not even out of the fold to begin with. The actions of these players are not very publicised and skated over by the media and the public alike.

I'll start with Leigh Matthews, did some very thuggish things, yet these dangerous acts seem to be forgotten by the media and public.

There are certain players in our game who have done some very average things in their lifetime, be it on or off the field. Some of these players are disgraced and flayed by the media and public alike, their actions never forgotten.

However, there are other players who have done some disgraceful things, yet they are either welcomed back into the fold or were not even out of the fold to begin with. The actions of these players are not very publicised and skated over by the media and the public alike.

I'll start with Leigh Matthews, did some very thuggish things, yet these dangerous acts seem to be forgotten by the media and public.

s**t thread. Game used to be played by men who would do anything to earn respect against other men. Now it's played by pansies who would rather dive for a free kick than put their head over the footy and cop what's coming

The game used to be equal part intimidation equal part skill and their were blokes whose job it was to intimidate. Now 19 and 20 year old kids dominate the field because no one can touch then anymore

Ablett and Carey both done equally grubbish stuff off the field, yet one has a TV contract, the other is ostracised.

Dane Swan got into a brawl, convicted of affray, paid out $250k and says he'd change nothing if he had his time again.

Do some people think the only way to be a better human is to get severely punished for committing crimes or finding god.

s**t thread. Game used to be played by men who would do anything to earn respect against other men. Now it's played by pansies who would rather dive for a free kick than put their head over the footy and cop what's coming

The game used to be equal part intimidation equal part skill and their were blokes whose job it was to intimidate. Now 19 and 20 year old kids dominate the field because no one can touch then anymore
297.png

I hate this attitude so much. Did anyone really respect other player because they could punch others from behind, or try to break their necks by shirtfronting a guy with his head over the ball?

That's not footy. Footy is two players cracking in hard going for the BALL. Toughness is putting yourself in front of the pack/oncoming player who is still going for the ball but can hurt nonetheless.

I'd rather watch Bont, Merrett, Kelly etc dominate than watch them get their careers ended by a 'tough guy' who is ******* pathetic at football but is happy to cowardly bump or punch a ball-player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giphy.webp

I hate this attitude so much. Did anyone really respect other player because they could punch others from behind, or try to break their necks by shirtfronting a guy with his head over the ball?

That's not footy. Footy is two players cracking in hard going for the BALL. Toughness is putting yourself in front of the pack/oncoming player who is still going for the ball but can hurt nonetheless.

I'd rather watch Bont, Merrett, Kelly etc dominate than watch them get their careers ended by a 'tough guy' who is ******* pathetic at football but is happy to cowardly bump or punch a ball-player.

Yes it was how footy was played back in the day, all sports had men like that in those eras who pushed the lines. I would rather watch a game of footy where players earned their touches rather than the ease with which they get them today.

Shirtfronts were a part of the game. Sad to see them gone.

Just because I liked the violence aspect of footy doesn't mean I don't enjoy the skill, I enjoyed the whole sport and now it's only half of a sport

Yes it was how footy was played back in the day, all sports had men like that in those eras who pushed the lines. I would rather watch a game of footy where players earned their touches rather than the ease with which they get them today.

Shirtfronts were a part of the game. Sad to see them gone.

Just because I liked the violence aspect of footy doesn't mean I don't enjoy the skill, I enjoyed the whole sport and now it's only half of a sport

It's a fine line between hard and thug, and the line was crossed way more often back then, obviously.

Byron Pickett's shirtfronts were things of beauty and I would consider them a reasonable component of his overall package as a player. Rod Grinter on the other hand was a blight on the game and it's a good thing that his type of on-field behaviour has been essentially removed from the game.

Judd got off easy at times.

But that's because Juddy's a god and a ripper bloke to boot. Would've been a sin to suspend him.

It's a fine line between hard and thug, and the line was crossed way more often back then, obviously.

Byron Pickett's shirtfronts were things of beauty and I would consider them a reasonable component of his overall package as a player. Rod Grinter on the other hand was a blight on the game and it's a good thing that his type of on-field behaviour has been essentially removed from the game.

Except it's gone so far the other way now Voss would be considered a sniper in 2017

Ablett and Carey both done equally grubbish stuff off the field, yet one has a TV contract, the other is ostracised.

Dane Swan got into a brawl, convicted of affray, paid out $250k and says he'd change nothing if he had his time again.

Do some people think the only way to be a better human is to get severely punished for committing crimes or finding god.

Ablett not been ostracised. Maybe ignored for HOF but he choose to be a recluse and not apart of football. Hates public life, if he wanted media, attention, tv time then or now. He'd get it in a heartbeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back