Players who get off lightly from past indiscretions

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodes. If a Caucasian player pretended to spear a crowd member, he’d be suspended and have to go through counselling and make a public apology.

Don't think he fits in this thread.

Firstly, celebrating your heritage should be encouraged, and is hardly an indiscretion.

And it's not like he's been given a cushy job by the AFL/AFL media after he retired. Frankly, the way the AFL handled the whole "saga" (poorly) would have left Goodesy with very few reasons to want to further his career in football after his playing days finished.

The only thing i saw Goodes in this season was an Instagram post of a few current and past players having a few froths on a boat after the finals.

Also, put it this way. You're 6 beers in on a Friday night at the local pub, 10 of your mates sitting around shooting the s**t. Someone mentions Goodes. 9/10 of them aren't going to start talking about how he was a 2x brownlow, 2x premiership player etc etc etc, they're going to talk about him getting booed out of the game aren't they. Hard to say that he "got off lightly" for his supposed "indiscretions".

Last edited:
Goodes. If a Caucasian player pretended to spear a crowd member, he’d be suspended and have to go through counselling and make a public apology.
Got off lightly did he? Victimised for almost half a season and basically forced into retirement for pretending to throw and IMAGINARY spear at a group of over a 1000 supporters. How they must have been terrified!

Go back and read the title of the thread, engage your brain and try again.

I agree generally but it may be a little harsh to single out footy. Australia in general has a culture of impunity for celebrities.

But it astounds me that the media are so adamant in pushing ex players at us that no one wants and who have shocking records.

s**t thread. Game used to be played by men who would do anything to earn respect against other men. Now it's played by pansies who would rather dive for a free kick than put their head over the footy and cop what's coming

The game used to be equal part intimidation equal part skill and their were blokes whose job it was to intimidate. Now 19 and 20 year old kids dominate the field because no one can touch then anymore
Nothing harder/tougher than putting your head over the ball in this game, its the cowards who are the ones who hit players off the ball and try to use intimidation tactics.

But it astounds me that the media are so adamant in pushing ex players at us that no one wants and who have shocking records.

For example, Jake "the push up" King. Known to be dodgy, criminal ties, a 5 year old speaks better, gets a commentary role for 7's Vfl coverage. :drunk:

Strongly disagree, guy played for frees at the end of his career but apart from that he didn't do too much wrong.

Spear dance does not deserve to be mentioned in this thread.

Strongly disagree, guy played for frees at the end of his career but apart from that he didn't do too much wrong.

Spear dance does not deserve to be mentioned in this thread.
The spear thing was the icing, not the cake.
It was made worse by people comparing it to the Hakka (the spear thing he did was made up in 2013 - hardly a historic dance, and calling it cultural is a cop out given that there is more than a single aboriginal culture)

The spear thing was the icing, not the cake.
It was made worse by people comparing it to the Hakka (the spear thing he did was made up in 2013 - hardly a historic dance, and calling it cultural is a cop out given that there is more than a single aboriginal culture)
Where in my post do I mention cultural?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How has carey got off lightly? He was suicidal and went through times that none of us could ever comprehend - all in the public eye. To say he got off lightly is ridiculous.
That may have been the case in 2002.

He has gone on to make plenty of questionable decisions in his life since then though, in a public and domestic setting, and is still a welcome part of the boys club of the media.

He didn't eye gouge Pav. He elbowed Pav, and was cleared for it.

Dane Swan should be mentioned too, him and his dickhead mates beat up a guy so bad he was left with permanent disfigurements. Yet he is considered a 'great bloke'
Add to that, he refused to pay damages or even apologise to his victim until he was ordered to by a court a few years after. Zero remorse shown for giving a bloke brain damage.

Still cannot comprehend how Hodge didn't get the book thrown at him for trying to decapitate Wingard with a goal post... and I'm a crows fan!

That may have been the case in 2002.

He has gone on to make plenty of questionable decisions in his life since then though, in a public and domestic setting, and is still a welcome part of the boys club of the media.

I assume you are referring to the BS rumor about Murphy's wife? He was practically the only one she wasn't banging.

The King had a shocking childhood, has dealt with his issues and gone back to earn a living. Hardly got off lightly.

Plenty of things that happened 50 years ago are worthy of discussion.

But not worth talking about deliberate out of bounds 50 years ago.

Or cruelty to animals when Daniel was fed to the lions and threw a punch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back