twhowler

All Australian
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1677758465077.png
G'day Port / Pear fans.

Come in peace.

What a fascinating watch JHF will be. I think he could really explode.

The midfield could be pretty damn good. Wines the contested beast. Butters and Rozee giving pace and skill. JHF the Petracca type. I know Boak has been a warrior but think your midfield is better without him these days.

I think you are a huge chance to win round 1. We have some very handy acquisitions and have a good recent record, but nearly all of those games have ben at the gabba and most of those wins have been close ones. We also have Adams out and Gardiner having not joined in full training yet, 2/3 of our key defenders. Finlayson sounds like he might miss but has a lot more on his mind, just heartbreaking reading about his partner.

I assume Dixon goes almost full time forward? Will Lycett get a game again?

Anyway interested in your thoughts for round 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day Port / Pear fans.

Come in peace.

The midfield could be pretty damn good. Wines the contested beast. Butters and Rozee giving pace and skill. JHF the Petracca type. I know Boak has been a warrior but think your midfield is better without him these days.

I think you are a huge chance to win round 1. We have some very handy acquisitions and have a good recent record, but nearly all of those games have ben at the gabba and most of those wins have been close ones. We also have Adams out and Gardiner having not joined in full training yet, 2/3 of our key defenders. Finlayson sounds like he might miss but has a lot more on his mind, just heartbreaking reading about his partner.

Your gameplan and execution doesn't change much and is a high hurdle for our Kenny who'll gee-up the troops not wanting to start owen5 again.

A lot of us on here are a bit pfft about winning, we're more focused on individual players and getting rid of our 10yr coach.

Horrible situation but there you go. If we win it'll probably be thru' manic effort of stodge ball with flashes of brilliance.

Our wins are often despite our coach who from qtr to qtr doesn't seem to coach at all, rather he put's on his blank face and guzzles coke.

All up he's a convincing idiot whose fooled idiots for years.

G'day Port / Pear fans.

Come in peace.

I still think Brisbane has Port covered. Brisbane quietly won the offseason.

Dunkley, Ashcroft, Gunston, McKenna, Fletcher are all terrific pickups. 4 of them are first 22 players and will only make Brisbane stronger.

G'day Port / Pear fans.

Come in peace.

Thoughts, you've been able to destroy us in patches of games for years. You busted through your finals demons last year. You had an epic draft/trade period and you should finish top 2 and move through to a GF.

Its round 1, so anything can happen, but it'd be a surprise if we won. You've been able to stop our scoring, and then hit us incredibly hard on the rebound. Once you have momentum you've banged on goals in a hurry from clearance after all our unrewarded effort. It has been a theme for a while and for some reason you guys exploit all our flaws like that.

Thoughts, you've been able to destroy us in patches of games for years. You busted through your finals demons last year. You had an epic draft/trade period and you should finish top 2 and move through to a GF.

Its round 1, so anything can happen, but it'd be a surprise if we won. You've been able to stop our scoring, and then hit us incredibly hard on the rebound. Once you have momentum you've banged on goals in a hurry from clearance after all our unrewarded effort. It has been a theme for a while and for some reason you guys exploit all our flaws like that.
Don't get me wrong I think if we are a genuine contender we need to win this - we have had a good off season and we are firmly in the premiership window as one of the most experienced sides in the comp.

But i am particularly wary of Port in round 1. You arguably should have beaten us last year in round 1 and that was at the gabba. We also got pantsed in round 1 the year before by Sydney. We do at least have good pre season hit outs vs Sydney and Geelong this year so again we won't have any excuses!

My wife goes for Port so i know the side pretty well. It can certainly be a rollercoaster. And you normally know in the first 5 minutes what sort of effort they will bring. We were watching the Hawthorn game early last year and just looked at each other knowing it would be a long night.

Anyway hope you don't have as many injuries this year, although i know for quite a few of you it's all about being rid of Kenny!

Don't get me wrong I think if we are a genuine contender we need to win this - we have had a good off season and we are firmly in the premiership window as one of the most experienced sides in the comp.

But i am particularly wary of Port in round 1. You arguably should have beaten us last year in round 1 and that was at the gabba. We also got pantsed in round 1 the year before by Sydney. We do at least have good pre season hit outs vs Sydney and Geelong this year so again we won't have any excuses!

My wife goes for Port so i know the side pretty well. It can certainly be a rollercoaster. And you normally know in the first 5 minutes what sort of effort they will bring. We were watching the Hawthorn game early last year and just looked at each other knowing it would be a long night.

Anyway hope you don't have as many injuries this year, although i know for quite a few of you it's all about being rid of Kenny!
Most of us have similar feelings about Port. Ken's gameplan is flawed, his selection policy is perplexing, our forward entry tactics & use of Dixon have been awful, and our once great club culture has gone to cr@p, leading to massive inconsistencies on-field.

The Fos Williams drive to success, has been replaced by the Hinkley excuse of "Ah well, it's a tough competition, you cant expect to win all the time," and the Koch-driven goal of "Stability, Stability, is the key," as he surrounds himself with yes-men!

While Hinkley and Koch remain to undermine what is left of the real Port Adelaide, at least this year we have some positive changes in a new forward coach - one who actually played as a forward! And a breath of fresh air in our future coach, Josh Carr, taking the reins in the midfield. These two moves potentially correcting some of the major flaws in the team.

Yes we have the team that is capable of winning the Brisbane clash. Will we though? We have NFI.

If Brisbane don't get absolutely flogged in the centre it should be an easy win for them. Our tall defenders are neither particularly tall or (outside AA) particularly good at defending these days. With our undersized KPD's and Brisbane's tall forward stocks we're either having Jonas plus McKenzie or Clurey both flogged or we have to sacrifice AA to cover someone 195cm+. With our additions teams that don't have multiple good tall forwards we should do well against, but those who do are going to trouble us even more this year, with Jonas, McKenzie and Clurey now only that much slower again.

If Brisbane don't get absolutely flogged in the centre it should be an easy win for them. Our tall defenders are neither particularly tall or (outside AA) particularly good at defending these days. With our undersized KPD's and Brisbane's tall forward stocks we're either having Jonas plus McKenzie or Clurey both flogged or we have to sacrifice AA to cover someone 195cm+. With our additions teams that don't have multiple good tall forwards we should do well against, but those who do are going to trouble us even more this year, with Jonas, McKenzie and Clurey now only that much slower again.
Hipwood, Gunston & Daniher vs AA, McKenzie/Clurey & Jonas hey?

I'd put Burton on Gunston, Clurey on Hipwood and Jonas on Daniher. Let AA free to mop up the dross.

Clurey can at least track Hopwood up and back, Burton can go with Gunston for agility, and Jonas v Daniher would be a prize fight for the clumsiest clanger award.

Hipwood, Gunston & Daniher vs AA, McKenzie/Clurey & Jonas hey?

I'd put Burton on Gunston, Clurey on Hipwood and Jonas on Daniher. Let AA free to mop up the dross.

Clurey can at least track Hopwood up and back, Burton can go with Gunston for agility, and Jonas v Daniher would be a prize fight for the clumsiest clanger award.

I thought Burton was quietly excellent in round 1 last year on Charlie Cameron. Was one of the few all year who really kept him pretty quiet - not sure you want to sacrifice him to play on Gunston?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Burton was quietly excellent in round 1 last year on Charlie Cameron. Was one of the few all year who really kept him pretty quiet - not sure you want to sacrifice him to play on Gunston?
If it was up to me, I'd play young Burgoyne on Cameron. Very good one on one, and would free Burton up to take on Gunston, and Aliir up to float.

We will 100% win round 1 because we always perform in round 1.

We will 100% lose to Brisbane because we always lose to Brisbane.

Putting these two calculations together brings us to only one conclusion: Sack Hinkley

These two scenarios collided last year.

The conclusion was that we lost and Hinkley didn't get sacked.

G'day Port / Pear fans.

Come in peace.

If I was a betting man, I'd have Brisbane for the Premiership or at least the Grand Final.

As Cookbook said, they are a very good team with 4 stellar additions, a couple which sure up some holes.

I hope Port can do that type of thing in the next two offseasons.

Round one is the best round to travel away to play. You travel in an unfatigued state. You can really set yourself for the travel and game. Travel does not interfere with recovery from the week before. That’s why we do well travelling in Round 1.

Brisbane are currently a better team than us. They have a better midfield. We have a more talented midfield and I’d love to pit Wines, Rozee, Butters, JHF and others against Dunkley, Neale, MyLuggage and Berry in a few years but not so much now. This is where the game will be won.

If our forward line were fully fit and firing that would put a different complexion on things. But a fully fit and firing Fantasia and friends is a far-fetched f***ing fantasy.

Brisbane have recruited well and may include a bunch of new faces- Dunkley, Ashcroft, Gunston, McKenna, Fletcher, Joyce. Our best hope is that this reboot takes time to gel. But banking on an intangible like team cohesion isn’t a game plan.

Brisbane by 2-3 goals.

Absolute must win game for me.. lose this and I don’t hold out much hope for the season. I know it’s only one game but it’s about time we took down a big scalp and a loss to me means we are the exact same side as last year.

We have to get off to a good start, we owe these pricks a loss and we absolutely have to win all our home games.

Cause round 2 is an even bigger game

Port by 24

Was the last time we played Brisbane at home the "we're gonna terrorise Lachie Neale, I reckon" game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back