Preview Port Adelaide vs Footscray, Friday Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As good as that would be, that isn't going to win us a premiership and neither is Ken and we should start building for a flag with a new coach at the end of this year.

Longmire took the Swans from 0-6 to 14-8 and won an EF at home and then lost a SF by 10 goals at the MCG in 2017. The strain of having to win every week just to make finals, eventually caught up and the dam wall burst.

But look at Longmire's record - 6th, FLAG, 4th, GF (physically bashed by Hawks) 4th/5th out in straight sets, GF ( lots of hometown umpiring) then started 2017 with 0-6, when like us this year, they had plenty of injuries in those early rounds.

But Longmire got to rebuild Sydney's list after that, because he had been to 3 GF's in 5 seasons. He was worth backing in to rebuild and get to another GF and maybe Flag because he was 3-0 from PF's probably the hardest games to win.

Ken's had his chance. He's 0-3 in PFs. We've seen his best - its not good enough.

I certainly agree with that and Ken is no John Longmire. Would take a supercoach to get to 14 wins from 2-5.

If we were confident the Board had the guts to say to Hinkley, ok you have had your shot, you're not going to rebuild this list to a premiership, so we are going to cut you loose and pay you out, more of us would back your position.

Look at Grant Thomas and St Kilda, made a PF in 2004 lost to Port, just, away from home ( eventual premiers) after being 10-0, lost a PF in 2005 to Sydney (eventual premiers) at home, lost by 6 goals blown away in the last quarter, and in 2006 finish 6th lost to Melbourne in the knock out final to Melbourne, and Grant Thomas was told see you later, you have had this talented group for 5 seasons and we don't think you can win a flag.

There would be nothing better for this group of players and the club's finances, to make a comeback and win 14 games like Sydney did in 2017 when they were 0-6, finish 6th, host a final, make some $$$, win and then lose the SF to a top 4 side. But that scenario wont see the club say thanks Ken but see ya later.
Yea I get you. And let’s be clear, I agree I don’t think Ken is our man. He has had his chance, he’ll soon be the longest running coach without a GF appearance let alone a flag.

If Ken got us to sixth by season’s end after our start, I think he does probably deserve to coach in 2023. I think it’s very unlikely. Reality is we probably get 8-12 ish wins.

Through his time, Hinkley has overseen our worst showdown loss, a break even showdown record (or is he one down now?), a series of humiliating losses including the PF and orchestrates the same mistakes time and time again. Hinkley declared at the start a flag is the benchmark. We shouldn’t need further embarrassment to get a board reaction, the line has been set by Ken. The board has backed him. What that suggests is that to have Ken be moved on we need him to win a flag or the board needs to be moved on.

So I don’t think it’ll matter much what happens on field this season. We need a public demand to get the board changed - does getting belted all season do that? I don’t think so.

Besides I can’t hope we lose.

Out: Captain / best midfielder, FB, FF, ruckman, best wing, JJ
I raise you ....
OUT:
Miles Bergman
Charlie Dixon
Orazio Fantasia
Xavier Duursma
Scott Lycett
Trent McKenzie

All best-22 players. We also have up-and-coming Josh Sinn out, and looks like we might lose Farrell to Covid as well

I raise you ....
OUT:
Miles Bergman
Charlie Dixon
Orazio Fantasia
Xavier Duursma
Scott Lycett
Trent McKenzie

All best-22 players. We also have up-and-coming Josh Sinn out, and looks like we might lose Farrell to Covid as well

haven't seen that many obscure Z's and X's since the world yahtzee championship in '88

I raise you ....
OUT:
Miles Bergman
Charlie Dixon
Orazio Fantasia
Xavier Duursma
Scott Lycett
Trent McKenzie

Not sure if serious.. not even close

Heard nothing about Farrell either do suspect that isn't accurate

Last edited:
Yea I get you. And let’s be clear, I agree I don’t think Ken is our man. He has had his chance, he’ll soon be the longest running coach without a GF appearance let alone a flag.

If Ken got us to sixth by season’s end after our start, I think he does probably deserve to coach in 2023. I think it’s very unlikely. Reality is we probably get 8-12 ish wins.

Through his time, Hinkley has overseen our worst showdown loss, a break even showdown record (or is he one down now?), a series of humiliating losses including the PF and orchestrates the same mistakes time and time again. Hinkley declared at the start a flag is the benchmark. We shouldn’t need further embarrassment to get a board reaction, the line has been set by Ken. The board has backed him. What that suggests is that to have Ken be moved on we need him to win a flag or the board needs to be moved on.

So I don’t think it’ll matter much what happens on field this season. We need a public demand to get the board changed - does getting belted all season do that? I don’t think so.

Besides I can’t hope we lose.
Who was our coach during our start?

As good as that would be, that isn't going to win us a premiership and neither is Ken and we should start building for a flag with a new coach at the end of this year.
Yep, I'm fully aboard the let's try and make finals train for the sake of a good story, but I dont give a coach any credit for 'making finals' when he had us woefully underprepared at the beginning of the year, and drove a 0-5 start which has realistically killed any premiership chance we had.

A premiership is all that matters. Finals wont and shouldn't satisfy us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back