Preview Port Adelaide vs Footscray, Friday Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings from Dubai airport, kids.

See if I can get a quiet hour or two to myself tomorrow in the middle of the day in the north of Poland to follow the game via the match day thread.

Carn the Pear, lift your game and give me a decent distraction from this awful year.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Greetings from Dubai airport, kids.

See if I can get a quiet hour or two to myself tomorrow in the middle of the day in the north of Poland to follow the game via the match day thread.

Carn the Pear, lift your game and give me a decent distraction from this awful year.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app
Wow....2 Port supporters in Dubai now.......

so after a game in 30 degree heat with 90% humidity, off a 6 day break, with a player subbed off due to injury... we've decided the best course of action is to fire up the same list? cool. yep. nice

plane crash GIF
The alternative is guys who are coming off a five day break from sanfl so it's a s**t outcome either way

I hope this is a complete and utter bloodbath and we walk off with a result so bad that any coach with any dynasty record would be ruthlessly sacked for. This is what it's going to take and more.

Wow....2 Port supporters in Dubai now.......

in hindsight that whole burgess "heat training" thing they did seems like absolute pseudoscience garbage. high altitude training i buy, but only if you're going to be performing at high altitude. heat training for a game thats mostly played in winter seems dumb as *, especially when it's usually hot as s**t during pre season anyway.

in hindsight that whole burgess "heat training" thing they did seems like absolute pseudoscience garbage. high altitude training i buy, but only if you're going to be performing at high altitude. heat training for a game thats mostly played in winter seems dumb as fu**, especially when it's usually hot as s**t during pre season anyway.
Burgess was ahead of his time - Dubai doesn't have dry heat like home. Burgess wanted to train in the humidity.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we were confident the Board had the guts to say to Hinkley, ok you have had your shot, you're not going to rebuild this list to a premiership, so we are going to cut you loose and pay you out, more of us would back your position.

Look at Grant Thomas and St Kilda, made a PF in 2004 lost to Port, just, away from home ( eventual premiers) after being 10-0, lost a PF in 2005 to Sydney (eventual premiers) at home, lost by 6 goals blown away in the last quarter, and in 2006 finish 6th lost to Melbourne in the knock out final to Melbourne, and Grant Thomas was told see you later, you have had this talented group for 5 seasons and we don't think you can win a flag.

There would be nothing better for this group of players and the club's finances, to make a comeback and win 14 games like Sydney did in 2017 when they were 0-6, finish 6th, host a final, make some $$$, win and then lose the SF to a top 4 side. But that scenario wont see the club say thanks Ken but see ya later.

If Ken can pull off 14 wins and win a final from 2-5 then he's got my support!

in hindsight that whole burgess "heat training" thing they did seems like absolute pseudoscience garbage. high altitude training i buy, but only if you're going to be performing at high altitude. heat training for a game thats mostly played in winter seems dumb as fu**, especially when it's usually hot as s**t during pre season anyway.
All of it is a short term hit that only lasts a few weeks.

Long distance runners do altitude training for 3-4 weeks and finish up 2-3 weeks before a big race eg Olympics, World Champs or big money marathon type event. The benefits don't last long.

That's why Nike and others have tried to invent oxygen deprived sleeping tents to replicate high altitude. Ex marathon Olympian and coach Alberto Salazar ran Nike's Colorado altitude house ( think that was the original name) but at ground level in Portland to help middle and long distance runner.

But it was probably his PED program that he got busted for, that really helped the Olympians he worked with from around the world. In 2019 he got a 4 year ban and the Nike Oregon Project was shut down.

Team sports it's more about bonding and pushing yourself in an uncomfortable environment in both setups.

10 weeks later there is no physiological benefit, but there might be a psychological benefit that camp attendees believe they can push through a pain barrier because they've done it before..

All of it is a short term hit that only lasts a few weeks.

Long distance runners do altitude training for 3-4 weeks and finish up 2-3 weeks before a big race eg Olympics, World Champs or big money marathon type event. The benefits don't last long.

That's why Nike and others have tried to invent oxygen deprived sleeping tents to replicate high altitude. Ex marathon Olympian and coach Alberto Salazar ran Nike's Colorado altitude house ( think that was the original name) but at ground level in Portland to help middle and long distance runner.

But it was probably his PED program that he got busted for, that really helped the Olympians he worked with from around the world. In 2019 he got a 4 year ban and the Nike Oregon Project was shut down.

Team sports it's more about bonding and pushing yourself in an uncomfortable environment in both setups.

10 weeks later there is no physiological benefit, but there might be a psychological benefit that camp attendees believe they can push through a pain barrier because they've done it before..

in short we splashed a bunch of cash around flying players halfway around the word for a placebo effect. could have just gone to roxby downs.

burgess kinda succeeded as we did seem to run harder than most other clubs, but after 2014 everyone else caught up or went past us. we really, really, should have won the flag in 2014. in momentum circumstances its so similar to dogs '16, richmond '17, melb '21...

Haha I love comments like these.

Prepare to have your season back on track after Friday night.
Haha EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Naive unknowing opposition fans stroll in here and tell us how they've got no hope, injuries, bad form, whatever it is they'll apparently get spanked.

Every time this happens they bloody come over and win.

It doesn't matter who they put out there, our results are 95% in our guys heads. Take their outs for granted for even 1 second and we're gone.

in short we splashed a bunch of cash around flying players halfway around the word for a placebo effect. could have just gone to roxby downs.

burgess kinda succeeded as we did seem to run harder than most other clubs, but after 2014 everyone else caught up or went past us. we really, really, should have won the flag in 2014. in momentum circumstances its so similar to dogs '16, richmond '17, melb '21...
Roxby Downs doesn't have world class training facilities like the 2 places we went to in Dubai. Sure we could have run around on gravel and done a bit of fire walking, but could have done that anywhere.

If you are going to have a elite sports program, then it helps if you train around elite facilities.

The oppo didn't necessarily catch up they just stopped us. Look at the amount of stoppages in our games in 2013-14 vs 2015.

If you tell the world, you'd better run when you play Port Adelaide, guess what, the oppo says ok we will stop you running.

If Ken can pull off 14 wins and win a final from 2-5 then he's got my support!
As good as that would be, that isn't going to win us a premiership and neither is Ken and we should start building for a flag with a new coach at the end of this year.

Longmire took the Swans from 0-6 to 14-8 and won an EF at home and then lost a SF by 10 goals at the MCG in 2017. The strain of having to win every week just to make finals, eventually caught up and the dam wall burst.

But look at Longmire's record - 6th, FLAG, 4th, GF (physically bashed by Hawks) 4th/5th out in straight sets, GF ( lots of hometown umpiring) then started 2017 with 0-6, when like us this year, they had plenty of injuries in those early rounds.

But Longmire got to rebuild Sydney's list after that, because he had been to 3 GF's in 5 seasons. He was worth backing in to rebuild and get to another GF and maybe Flag because he was 3-0 from PF's probably the hardest games to win.

Ken's had his chance. He's 0-3 in PFs. We've seen his best - its not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back