Autopsy Port Adelaide vs Geelong review

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought the clock started once the player got up? Dixon was reamed at least 5 seconds which would have been enough to kick.

* it...this one burns.

Also can we stop with the Hartlett as a defender experiment. Surely he can do more damage as a pinch hit mid and HF.
If not bring in Houston and send Hamish to the SANFL..

Also the amount of times SPP slammed it on his boot when he was in space just to kick a high floater to no one in particular was ridiculous. Has a lot to learn about composing himself

Dangerfield did the exact same thing all game yet hes the best player in the universe

Trengove is a good to very good defender & a good ruck chop-out, I agree with earlier posts it's time to end the forward line experiment.

This sums up my feelings:

******* play Monfries next game please. Can replace any one of Young/Ah Chee/S.Gray, I don't care. Thank you.

Ken will say fxk all. The club will bite the pillow and the afl will say all clear, play on, we got it 100% right.

Yep the club will bite the pillow and stick their arses in the air ready for another reaming!
It won't change unless they force change, but unfortunately I doubt they have the comic cuts required to fight the fight. :thumbsdown:

Id rather be really s**t, or a really good team. This middle of road team business has destroyed my footy tipping now 3 years in a row.

Grounds enough to make the board consider a change of coach. Ill prepare my victim impact statement if they need :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

POTY Votes:
9 - Polec, Clurey
8 - Hombsch
7 - Wines, Ebert, R Gray, Jonas
6 - Ryder, Dixon
5 - Boak, SPP, Ah Chee
4 - Young, DBJ, Amon, Broadbent
3 - Trengove, Pittard
1 - Westhoff, S Gray
0 - Impey, Hartlett

Macca, m8, did Impey run over your dog or something?

Considering we:

- Didn't play at our best for the majority of the game, exhibit first half
- Got absolutely shafted by the umpires in classic Geelong fashion
- Didn't have Wingard, one of our top 3 players, out there

And only lost by 2 points away at one of the hardest grounds to win at, I'm not calling for Hinkley's and the players' heads. As long as this loss changes something - which it bloody well should - I could see it being a catalyst looking back at the end of the season. Still melt-worthy though :mad::mad:
I hate this. Hate it. Respectful loss. Before we know it we will be Richmond

Polec stood up, Paddy Ryder killed it, SPP is gunna be something else, thought he was a weedy first year kid.

The actual team response to the Geelong surge in the 3rd quarter was fantastic.

Chuck Wingard in there, that's a top 4 side.

I really still think we are coming big time this year, a little bit of adversity never hurt. That was a fair effort considering umps and Wingard missing, lots to like, there is an anger and fire their that's been missing.

That game was the turning point of our season.

Believe it or not, there was a-lot I liked about that performance. Especially the boys looking really pissed off after the game. That loss stung. And will spur us on a good run from here to September.

It was somewhat uncharacteristic of recent Port: no fancy s**t. Ugly af. Just tough, gritty, hard work. Geelong were the better team for most part. But we hung in there.

Lots of ifs, buts, maybes. Shoulda, coulda, wouldas. But didn't. Next time, we do it.

The premiership assault began tonight...
There is a fire burning that will burn harder after tonight. We will kill these teams later in the year and I reckon they know it.

Man, I was stunned when Dan got dropped. But yeah, HBF is one position we're not struggling for. I'm sure DBJ, Pittdawg and Broady can lock that s**t down. Plus Houston and probably a few more in the Maggies...

Pittard suspect for me, how many times does he blaze away outside 50 and miss terribly, does he go to kicking practice with Westhoff?

I hate hate HATE how ******* close we are. Hate it. Its sickening how close we are and yet we just can't win one of these games against a decent opponent.

I'm not going to blame the umpires. It didn't cost us the game. Geelong were too clean when it mattered. The amount of handball strings they had under pressure which just hit target after target, one grab handballing was like i've never seen. They did it all game. Pretty much didnt fumble at all. Yet under pressure we were still handballing to still targets, handballing to feet, handballing to opponents. That was the difference.

Did we deserve to win? Maybe. I'm getting sick of the 'gee we played well, so close, maybe next time'. We don't deserve any respect until we win one of these.

We successfully stopped Danger and Selwood having a huge influence. Our backline stood up wonderfully well as a team once again. Our midfield were inspired. We still couldnt get it done. Shattering.

PLAYER REVIEWS
Polec - If the AA team was named now he should be on a wing. Has been magnificent all year and tonight was no different. Hard running, great skill, kicked a wonderful pressure goal. He is our best player.

Wines - Aggressive and hard at it. Great through the middle. A bit wasteful through the first half but overall he had a great game.

Westhoff - 20m out, slight angle, and you play on and snuff the snap shot anyway. Mentally shot. Cooked. Bring in Howard. I've had enough.

Ebert - Was a beast on Selwood for most of the night. Shut him down through the first half, was one of our prime movers as well. Continuing his great form.

Ryder - Not sure he was as good as the commentators were saying, but did have some great moments. Felt he was jumping too early and thought he got thrashed in the first half. We looked better with Trengove rucking through the first half. Still feel he needs to do more around the ground.

R Gray - Struggled early but what a second half. Really got us back in the game with some great individual moments.

Dixon - Played well. Was the best tall forward on the ground and had his chances to really get us on top.

Trengove - Good in the ruck, poor up forward. Just struggled to impact and did a lot of jumper chasing.

Jonas - Thought outside of a couple times he fell over easily he was great once again. Kept Menzel to his least effective game this year and loved his intercept work.

Boak - Poor early but felt the two times he went into the middle were when we looked best. Had some real crucial clearances that led to scoring opportunities and gave us back momentum. Just couldnt get free up forward. Had a few moments, but had someone on his clacker the whole time.

Pittard - A complete non event in the first 3 quarters. Had a decent last quarter. Once again just didnt deliver when we needed him to.

S Gray - A nice goal to start the game, then didnt get near it for the rest of the game. Decided to ball watch instead of mark the best player in the game which directly led to the match winning goal. Cheers Sam.

SPP - This type of game suited him, but thought he had a mixed game. Had some real wonderful moments and looked so strong, but was wasteful with the ball when free on a couple of occasions too. Can tell in time he's going to be our best big game player.

Young - 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter and I thought he was having a pretty good game. Then he never touched it again. Did the end justify the selection? Not sure. He was ok, nothing more.

AhChee - Strong through the middle on occasion and good to see him kick another goal. Just went missing for too long at times.

DBJ - Thought defensively he was really good, wasteful and slippery with the ball when he needed to be clean. Not bad though.

Clurey - Killed Taylor. One of our best.

Hartlett - Once again, big game and he doesnt get near it. Nowhere to be seen when the game was on the line.

Amon - Strange game for Karl tonight. Thought he struggled to get near it when we had the ball. But all the things everyone is critical of him, I thought he shone. He backed into packs, threw himself at the ground ball, laid some super strong tackles. All those 1 %ers he was better than i've seen him. Just needed to actually get a kick as well.

Impey - Another player who struggles in big games. Nowhere near it all night.

Broadbent - Had some ok moments. Had one monumental stuff up. Defensively very good but overall was super quiet.

Hombsch - Thought he was wonderful on Hawkins. Like Clurey, one of our best on ground.

POTY Votes:
9 - Polec, Clurey
8 - Hombsch
7 - Wines, Ebert, R Gray, Jonas
6 - Ryder, Dixon
5 - Boak, SPP, Ah Chee
4 - Young, DBJ, Amon, Broadbent
3 - Trengove, Pittard
1 - Westhoff, S Gray
0 - Impey, Hartlett

Agree on clurey I thought he was huge tonight. Pulled in some great grabs. I really missed wakelins grabs when he pushed up as a target for kicks and that was what I was reminded of tonight with a couple of clureys marks.

To focus on some of the positives tonight I really like the size and physicality of a wines, spp, Ebert ah chee midfield. You let them go bully on some teams , especially younger teams in a couple of seasons I li,emwhat that would do for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back