Autopsy Port Adelaide vs Geelong review

Remove this Banner Ad

Jared Polec you star! Best on ground for mine. Deserved to be the match winner.
Polec came of age tonight.

SPP showed what he will be capable of.

R Gray was Lazarus-like with the way he resurrected himself after halftime.

Hombsch marvellous - along with Clurey.

Wines ok without matching Selwood.

Dixon pretty good.

Ryder hot and cold.

The rest score a big meh.

Umpire were crap and pretty much stole the game from us, but we had too many passengers.

We also had easy chances to win the game but didn't same old story.

Credit to Wines, Polec, Hombsch and Ryder for nearly dragging us over the line.

That game was the turning point of our season.

Believe it or not, there was a-lot I liked about that performance. Especially the boys looking really pissed off after the game. That loss stung. And will spur us on a good run from here to September.

It was somewhat uncharacteristic of recent Port: no fancy s**t. Ugly af. Just tough, gritty, hard work. Geelong were the better team for most part. But we hung in there.

Lots of ifs, buts, maybes. Shoulda, coulda, wouldas. But didn't. Next time, we do it.

The premiership assault began tonight...

Overall though I'm happy with the result, Geelong are a good team and they proved tonight they're still a little better than us which was to be expected pre-game. Other notes:

- Sensational game in the clearances.
- Reasonably efficient going forward.
- Team defence and forward press were a shambles for 3 and a bit quarters. Cats worked through the zone with ease and prevented repeat I50's way too easy.
- Ball use and transition skills were terrible for the majority of the game.
- Far too many of the same culprits choking in the key moments.

You know what? After all that, that piece of human garbage Chris Scott most likely feels aggrieved at the treatment geelong copped from the umpires.

I hate Geelong. I hate Joel Selwood and the charmed run that whinging, ducking, sour faced piece of s**t gets, I hate their disgusting, inbred, hillbilly fans (I'm sure others here have experienced them over there before), and their miserable, cold, windswept "surf coast" is a joke. I hate Geelong.

I don't care what anyone says, you were robbed.
Fortunately, fans from 17 clubs agree with you! (look at the main board)

Ah well. Used to it by now. Few easy weeks, hopefully we notch up some big wins than cheating maggots can't undo.

The game was close enough that it could have gone either way with some different umpiring decisions, but overall we held our ground.

We continue to be consistently the least scored-against team in the competition and slightly outperformed the expectations of the Squiggle on defense again this week. It's frustrating that we haven't gotten the big scalps but we haven't embarassed ourselves so far this season - aside from the West Coast game, our losses have been an issue of "slightly overperforming expectations but not enough to take the scalp" rather than the issue of "dropping expected games" which we've been plagued with in prior seasons.

You guys were stiff tonight. Was really wanting you to get home.
Terrific contest from a neutral POV, but honestly, if Dangerfield wasn't playing you'd have won by 5 goals.
Take out Selwood and you win by 6-7.
Can't believe how much the Cats rely on them.
I reckon you'll go better against them at the G come finals time for sure.
No consolation tonight, I know...

Unfortunately we were the ones who lost a top player(Wingard). Wingard's presence would not just have meant we would have had his input but players like Impey do not have the same pressure from opposition defenders and can run the ball better.

That was the most obvious display of blatant cheating I have witnessed in 46 years of watching footy. I thought ducking was deemed
prior opportunity. Geelong players must have grazed knees from the amount of times they drop to them. Show some balls Port and demand answers from the AFL and a fair go. Let's not mention Robbie Gray and the treatment he gets....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most gave their all and can be proud of their efforts, especially Wines, SPP, Ryder and Polec - they busted a gut all night long.

We had a decent run early with the umpires then got raped when it mattered most.

Boak & Hartlett are an embarrassment to out Club. Neither are AFL standard and Boak is plain scared. He looks, he avoids, he short steps, he is a nothing player whenever it's tough.

I don't blame Westhoff any longer for being the most mentally fragile thing I have ever seen. I blame Hinkley. Hinkley just won't change anything at anytime apart from putting a extra/s behind the ball or a extra around the contest. Westhoff can not ever be in a position forward of centre. Play him down back or don't play him at all.

Sam Gray is pointless as an AFL player.

We have a squad that's more than capable but a coach who is timid. Timid in selection, timid to make a move and after tonights press conference I'd say timid to speak out against the crap we have to put up with time and time again because Ken is more worried about being good mates with the Victorians rather than sticking up for the Club that gave him a chance, provided him with every single thing a senior coach could ever want and pays him massive amounts of money.

I haven't been this disillusioned, this upset and this angry over a game for some time.
I usually bag Sam Gray but was good tonight

We should have ben beaten by 10 goals.We were weak and insipid but somehow we stayed in the match.Our stars gave nothing and were well beaten .Amazingly we should have won.Charlie was shafted but he was wasting time counting down the clock.Team mates should have made him aware. Dangerfield and Selwood starred.Boak was near invisible,his time has gone

We played poorly for too long in the game.

Disposal efficiency - Geelong 75% to Port's 64%

Only key stats we won were Contested possessions 147 to 145, clearances 40 to 32 and marks inside 50 13 to 11.

Finally got ball and all tackles in the last quarter.

We weren't as clean as them and we were a lot dumber than them. Westhoff's kicks for goals, Dixon and the rest of the side not being aware the 30 second rule.

Time for every player who takes a mark to look at the screen every time they have a shot for goal. No more excuses the I didnt know what was going on or what the rule is.

We weren't the best side out there but we could have pinched it. They had all the advantages - playing at home, big crowd, big 10 year celebration, umps giving then benefit of doubt frees and we missed out. That is a good positive sign, but we have to start winning the close ones.

Time for Hinkley to go and coach from the bench the last 10-15 minutes of a close game. Our players dont know what to do, so he has to go direct them.

I am ******* pissed off because of what happened with Dixon and fact we let both Selwood and Dangerfield get the ball in that stoppage late in the game. I'm pissed off that we lost another close one and to another top 8 side and have slide down the ladder again. But there is enough to say we can push anyone and are good enough to challenge provide we get our skills better and smarten up and know the rules.

Can't get that one back so we have win the next 6!!

Last edited:
I was live at the game and didn't see any shocking decisions (busy trying not to die as my heart was beating at a million miles an hour,) what were the bad decisions, I hear about Charlie a lot?
IMG_1523.JPG Play on.......

Last edited:
Polec and Wines were superb. SPP is going to be a very, very good player.

Umpires were atrocious most of he night. Dixon aside, How Robbie only received two free kicks for the game is beyond me.

Book, HAmmer, and Jackson were awful and didn't give a yelp for most of the night.
Jacko was terrible. Can't remember him winning a single contest tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back