Autopsy Port Adelaide vs Geelong review

Remove this Banner Ad

Composure still a big issue in this team - manic forward movement - lots of chaos balls and tapping balls between each other. The ryder and Archee goals were the only methodical goals I remember. A lot of players were down. Yet we nearly won. Polec awesome job, Robbie and Ollie, Ryder - stood up - Defence really good.

Trengove, Impey Hartlet, Boak, Westhoff, Pittard?????

s**t umpiring accompanied by s**t commentators - I'd love to do a content analysis to show their Geelong centric crap they keep spinning.

This one really hurts - we've beaten Geelong once in 10 years - whole careers have been spent without the club learning how to put together a proper footy team.

I don't think I've ever respected a footballer less than I respect Joel Selwood. The way he plays the game is just disgusting.
Yep. He has mastered the act of dragging an opponent's arm over his shoulder, and diving for in-the-back free kicks. It is a blight on our game. Love that Greenwood tagged him to oblivion a few weeks ago. I'm annoyed at Ken for not trying to do the same tonight.

I let the hammer down on him a while back. What does he give us back there that Houston isn't capable of?

Man, I was stunned when Dan got dropped. But yeah, HBF is one position we're not struggling for. I'm sure DBJ, Pittdawg and Broady can lock that s**t down. Plus Houston and probably a few more in the Maggies...

He just goes head first into everything and then flops. I don't know what's worse, that he does it or that the umpires have been getting sucked in for 10 years.

Definitely this one. It's almost hard to blame Joel Selwood for his cheating. If it was that easy for our players to get free kicks I'd want them to do it too.

The blame doesn't lie with Joel, it lies with the morons who umpire every Geelong game like they've never seen Joel Selwood play before.

Forgot Hartlett was playing at times tonight, didnt do much at all. Wont be dropped but maybe he might get injured in the warm up for a third time this year and Houston can take his spot.

I hate hate HATE how ******* close we are. Hate it. Its sickening how close we are and yet we just can't win one of these games against a decent opponent.

I'm not going to blame the umpires. It didn't cost us the game. Geelong were too clean when it mattered. The amount of handball strings they had under pressure which just hit target after target, one grab handballing was like i've never seen. They did it all game. Pretty much didnt fumble at all. Yet under pressure we were still handballing to still targets, handballing to feet, handballing to opponents. That was the difference.

Did we deserve to win? Maybe. I'm getting sick of the 'gee we played well, so close, maybe next time'. We don't deserve any respect until we win one of these.

We successfully stopped Danger and Selwood having a huge influence. Our backline stood up wonderfully well as a team once again. Our midfield were inspired. We still couldnt get it done. Shattering.

PLAYER REVIEWS
Polec - If the AA team was named now he should be on a wing. Has been magnificent all year and tonight was no different. Hard running, great skill, kicked a wonderful pressure goal. He is our best player.

Wines - Aggressive and hard at it. Great through the middle. A bit wasteful through the first half but overall he had a great game.

Westhoff - 20m out, slight angle, and you play on and snuff the snap shot anyway. Mentally shot. Cooked. Bring in Howard. I've had enough.

Ebert - Was a beast on Selwood for most of the night. Shut him down through the first half, was one of our prime movers as well. Continuing his great form.

Ryder - Not sure he was as good as the commentators were saying, but did have some great moments. Felt he was jumping too early and thought he got thrashed in the first half. We looked better with Trengove rucking through the first half. Still feel he needs to do more around the ground.

R Gray - Struggled early but what a second half. Really got us back in the game with some great individual moments.

Dixon - Played well. Was the best tall forward on the ground and had his chances to really get us on top.

Trengove - Good in the ruck, poor up forward. Just struggled to impact and did a lot of jumper chasing.

Jonas - Thought outside of a couple times he fell over easily he was great once again. Kept Menzel to his least effective game this year and loved his intercept work.

Boak - Poor early but felt the two times he went into the middle were when we looked best. Had some real crucial clearances that led to scoring opportunities and gave us back momentum. Just couldnt get free up forward. Had a few moments, but had someone on his clacker the whole time.

Pittard - A complete non event in the first 3 quarters. Had a decent last quarter. Once again just didnt deliver when we needed him to.

S Gray - A nice goal to start the game, then didnt get near it for the rest of the game. Decided to ball watch instead of mark the best player in the game which directly led to the match winning goal. Cheers Sam.

SPP - This type of game suited him, but thought he had a mixed game. Had some real wonderful moments and looked so strong, but was wasteful with the ball when free on a couple of occasions too. Can tell in time he's going to be our best big game player.

Young - 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter and I thought he was having a pretty good game. Then he never touched it again. Did the end justify the selection? Not sure. He was ok, nothing more.

AhChee - Strong through the middle on occasion and good to see him kick another goal. Just went missing for too long at times.

DBJ - Thought defensively he was really good, wasteful and slippery with the ball when he needed to be clean. Not bad though.

Clurey - Killed Taylor. One of our best.

Hartlett - Once again, big game and he doesnt get near it. Nowhere to be seen when the game was on the line.

Amon - Strange game for Karl tonight. Thought he struggled to get near it when we had the ball. But all the things everyone is critical of him, I thought he shone. He backed into packs, threw himself at the ground ball, laid some super strong tackles. All those 1 %ers he was better than i've seen him. Just needed to actually get a kick as well.

Impey - Another player who struggles in big games. Nowhere near it all night.

Broadbent - Had some ok moments. Had one monumental stuff up. Defensively very good but overall was super quiet.

Hombsch - Thought he was wonderful on Hawkins. Like Clurey, one of our best on ground.

POTY Votes:
9 - Polec, Clurey
8 - Hombsch
7 - Wines, Ebert, R Gray, Jonas
6 - Ryder, Dixon
5 - Boak, SPP, Ah Chee
4 - Young, DBJ, Amon, Broadbent
3 - Trengove, Pittard
1 - Westhoff, S Gray
0 - Impey, Hartlett

Dammit. This board always disagrees with me RE Sam Gray whether I bag or praise him!
Like I said, he wasn't our worst, but he wasn't good enough either.
The vast majority of our players were opposed to mediocre footballers tonight and they failed at their jobs.

Watching Menegola roam around uncontested for most of the night gave me the shits.

Definitely this one. It's almost hard to blame Joel Selwood for his cheating. If it was that easy for our players to get free kicks I'd want them to do it too.

The blame doesn't lie with Joel, it lies with the morons who umpire every Geelong game like they've never seen Joel Selwood play before.

What he's doing is actually really dangerous though. Having your head wrenched to the side that often can't be good for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's stop pretending with Jacko. I'ts failed. Defender or magpies
He was a train wreck tonight. Everytime he did get the ball, which wasn't often, he would butcher something. And that says nothing of his inability to work off his man and provide a forward target, or the slightest semblance of defensive pressure. One of the worst performances I've seen post Daniel Stewart from a Port Adelaide tall forward.

After just calming down from that farce it's time to discuss our forward line.

Im still not quite sure what Jackson Trengove is doing down there. He isn't a particularly great contested mark, an average at best set shot for goal, and isn't particularly agile without being a plodder. Whenever he is involved in one of our forays forward I cringe as 90% of the time he either can't deliver effectively due to his awkward kicking style or he doesn't have the reaction time/composure/skill to release players with a swift accurate handball. He had an opportunity to win us the game tonight and missed; although he wasn't alone there.

I actually thought when he went into the ruck he was fantastic but feel that whenever he isn't there he is a liability unless he is played in our already overloaded backline. Im not particularly sure what the solution is but we definitely need to find an alternative 3rd KPF imo

The umps got told about lindsay thomas, and it became impossible for him to win a free kick, even when there was a legitimate one there.

Golden boy Selwood leads the free kick count for a decade (by miles) and nothing.

A lot of the time his duck actually gets him out of the tackle and he can play on. So good on him. But ffs umps don't pay it for incidental contact when he drops the knees. And if he ducks and gets tackled a smidge high because of it, it should be ******* holding the ball

Considering we:

- Didn't play at our best for the majority of the game, exhibit first half
- Got absolutely shafted by the umpires in classic Geelong fashion
- Didn't have Wingard, one of our top 3 players, out there

And only lost by 2 points away at one of the hardest grounds to win at, I'm not calling for Hinkley's and the players' heads. As long as this loss changes something - which it bloody well should - I could see it being a catalyst looking back at the end of the season. Still melt-worthy though :mad::mad:

There are certain players we keep taking again and again into big games who are just not up to it but Hinkley then gives them the following week or so to earn the trust back and they beat up on a crap team and then we hear from the brass about how great they played and then when the next tough game comes they disappear again. A ruthless coach\club would put someone else in their spots to give them a chance to see how they go against the best because we KNOW these serial underperformers are not going to win us finals let alone a GF.

I expect we most likely go in unchanged ffs unless an injury.

Also the amount of times SPP slammed it on his boot when he was in space just to kick a high floater to no one in particular was ridiculous. Has a lot to learn about composing himself

Remove this Banner Ad

Back