Autopsy Port Adelaide vs Geelong review

Remove this Banner Ad

also that set shot play on by dixon needs a please explain by the umps that was absolute horse shit
After calming down I don't blame the umpire but the ****ing idiots who make the rules and start the countdown clock as soon as the mark is taken even if the player lands on the ground after a heavy contest. It was down to 23 seconds before Dixon got up off the ground.

Same. One of the problems with the Dixon call is that it will take all the post match attention, and plenty of the sitters that we didn't get will be forgotten.

Off the top of my head.
1) Sam Grays "unrealistic" attempt when he made contact with the ball at chest height
2) The 3 in a row frees finishing with an in the back where Menzel (I think) actively stoped and searched for contact.
3) Missed HTBs - most obviously Hawkins holding it for 3 years than throwing it. Another against Guthrie I think from a Pittard tackle with a clear throw.
4) Free against Dixon for, well, I'm not actually sure when Young was strolling in to an open goal, or Gray was going to have a shot 15m out.
5) Harry Taylors throw which was a direct goal assist.
6) Free against Wines for having the nerve to contest a mark.
7) Missed holds against Gray (many - did get paid one you could consider soft).
8) The high contact free that should've (if you take the previous several going their way) been paid to us prior to their winning goal.

Despite all that we had the chances to win the game, and this just adds to the long list of almost wins we've accumulated. Had we executed like we should've all this umpiring talk would just be a footnote.
All correct except for No. 6 - he was late and interfered with the Irish guy

On the train heading back from the game now.

It was a good game but an incredibly nervy affair, with neither side ever being ahead by more than 10 points, and quite excruciating to watch live.

Disappointed but not devastated.

I think we deserved to win it but the umpires did their job and made a decision at the end that I've not ever seen before in 45 years of watching football.

I feel that Port are still a work in progress and I reckon we've got plenty of improvement left in us. I'm pretty confident we'll be able to smash these campaigners if we get to play them in September.

Finally, a word about the stadium.

It's the first time I've been there since 2001 and, while it's definitely better than it was, it does bring to mind the phrase "lipstick on a pig".

If we don't make an official complaint I am done for the year.

It's almost like that's the expected process.
eg Sloane gets heavily tagged in one game. Crows complain about it. Sloane gets more frees the next game.
Not a slight on the Crows either, it applies to other clubs and other players.

Why have we never made comment about umpiring?
Who no comment about the treatment of RGray?

At the very least, I'd be asking why the first time a player has been called to play on after an expired shot clock is a shot on goal to win the game by an away team at Simmonds Stadium.

What I did like is the way we stuck with them , despite having to absorb plenty of their runs, and we did so with some of our leaders and better players having quiet games (Boak, Trengove in particular).

And despite the loss Polec's performance needs to be highlighted and get some of the attention it deserves. Was incredible with the ball in hand, and absolutely intense attack on the ball.
The amount of space he can find in traffic is incredible. A few gif worthy runs through the pack.

We absolutely need to build on this and let it motivate us more. We cannot become more timid and uncertain in close games.

200w.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what? After all that, that piece of human garbage Chris Scott most likely feels aggrieved at the treatment geelong copped from the umpires.

I hate Geelong. I hate Joel Selwood and the charmed run that whinging, ducking, sour faced piece of shit gets, I hate their disgusting, inbred, hillbilly fans (I'm sure others here have experienced them over there before), and their miserable, cold, windswept "surf coast" is a joke. I hate Geelong.

I don't think I've ever respected a footballer less than I respect Joel Selwood. The way he plays the game is just disgusting.

Now that I've calmed down a bit...

We totally don't need Broadbent and Hartlett in the same team. Drop one and bring back Houston.

In fact, drop Hartlett. It's almost as if he's trying to be a bigger bust than Lobbe.

That was the most obvious display of blatant cheating I have witnessed in 46 years of watching footy. I thought ducking was deemed
prior opportunity. Geelong players must have grazed knees from the amount of times they drop to them. Show some balls Port and demand answers from the AFL and a fair go. Let's not mention Robbie Gray and the treatment he gets....
He got 6 and gave away 2. Since 2007 his FF-FA stats have been 36-20, 63-21, 59-36, 53-24, 60-26, 56-22, 73-28, 68-30, 64-37, 71-40. Including tonight's frees he is 34-13 in 2017.

After calming down I don't blame the umpire but the ******* idiots who make the rules and start the countdown clock as soon as the mark is taken even if the player lands on the ground after a heavy contest. It was down to 23 seconds before Dixon got up off the ground.

This.

So what happens if Dixon had been knocked out or done his ACL in the contest? Do the Geelong players get to tackle him off of the stretcher after 30 seconds have passed? 'Letter of the law' and all that.

I don't think I've ever respected a footballer less than I respect Joel Selwood. The way he plays the game is just disgusting.

He just goes head first into everything and then flops. I don't know what's worse, that he does it or that the umpires have been getting sucked in for 10 years.

I think I prefer Westhoff floating around down back than as a forward, he's way overdue for some SANFL time though but you know he wont be dropped due to the versatility factor Ken loves about him.

Polec was outstanding I hope this becomes the norm for him because he's wasting his natural ability if it doesn't.

I can't wait for Sam Powell-Pepper to just gather a bit more poise with ball in hand as he develops

Umpiring was dreadful but it shits you even more when we should've iced the game despite it.

Ah well this Geelong bogey shit looks like entering the next decade **** sake

Remove this Banner Ad

Back