Autopsy Port downs Swans by 10 - Rd 15

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we use Buddy enough. We should kick to him more so he can kick 6 and win us games

Usually the line is that we are too Buddy Centric. Last night was probably close to what we want in not over using Buddy...however he looked on so it might have been better to go to him on a few more occasions. In not using Buddy we then need to be delivering to free players, that is what wasn’t happening as a result of not going to Buddy last night.

Bring on the 2022 car I say. Difficult to develop the car in season now given budget restrictions etc
Clearly doesn’t suit his strengths and Norris only knows the McLaren chassis in F1.
Did they have the Bat Mobile on the ground again at half time? I mean we are talking football aren't we?

OFF TOPIC ALERT!!!!

Same size as Grundy and Richards were

It’s about a team defence
And they used to be against forwards like Riewoldt, Riewoldt, Kennedy, Walker and Roughead. Tallest in that group is 195.

These days key forwards will be McKay, Thilthorpe, Larkey, McDonald, Lobb, King and Daniher. The shortest is McDonald at 196 with more than half of them over 200cm.

Definitely about team defence but McCartin is now short for a key defender

Florent and McCartin have both had a number of excellent games this year.

Ollie has been a very steady improving contributor until the last 2 or 3 games.

In the early rounds McCartin was great. He's only 21 and defenders improve with age.

I think we need to give these guys a bit of slack.

Always worse to lose a close game where you actually have the lead late, but let's remember we were playing a very good side at one of the toughest grounds to win, in poor conditions. That's a tough situation. I think the fact that we got close shows that we should be playing finals this year (need to beat the Weagles though).

Have seen some complain about effort or whatever, No idea what that's about. For most of the game it was a pretty fierce contest, with both teams hard at it.

Thought J-Mac, Buddy, Fox and Hayward were our best. Good to see Fox bounce back, as he was very poor last week. Liked Hewett's game too. Heeney so disappointing - I know when you're playing up forward, there are always periods of the game where it's hard to be a factor, but Heeney regularly goes missing for quarters at a time. When he's not firing, we look pretty ordinary. I was excited to see Gulden back but he's not playing a role where he's getting a chance to use the ball much. I know he's only a kid, but when he's playing well, we go up a level IMO. He's playing a role, but I'd like to see him close to the action more often.

Brand. Enough has been said. I'm not sure I would write him off quite yet because we simply don't have options in defence, but it wasn't good yesterday. That ridiculous handball was just the icing on the cake. As for Bell, I've never been a fan, but like last week, I think he was far from our worst. I'd prefer Wicks in the side for tackling pressure, but at least Bell showed he could hit a couple of targets under pressure in the last quarter when the heat was on. More than I can say for a couple of others. His ceiling is pretty low though overall and I wouldn't persist with him once others are fit.

Armartey has been good the last couple of weeks, but looked clueless on the weekend. If we are aiming to play finals, not sure we should be using these upcoming games to develop him. Maybe McLean gets another look.

A really frustrating loss because it was there for he taking, but nowhere near as appalling as the Hawks and Freo losses. The rest of the round was terrific for us with the Weagles, Tigers and GWS results, so no harm done really. If we can play well against the Weagles, we'll be on track. Hopefully Warner will be back soon because he is greatly missed.

Last edited:
Always worse to lose a close game where you actually have the lead late, but let's remember we were playing a very good side at one of the toughest grounds to win, in poor conditions. That's a tough situation. I think the fact that we got close shows that we should be playing finals this year (need to beat the Weagles though).

Have seen some complain about effort or whatever, No idea what that's about. For most of the game it was a pretty fierce contest, with both teams hard at it.

Thought J-Mac, Buddy, Fox and Hayward were our best. Good to see Fox bounce back, as he was very poor last week. Liked Hewett's game too. Heeney so disappointing - I know when you're playing up forward, there are always periods of the game where it's hard to be a factor, but Heeney regularly goes missing for quarters at a time. When he's not firing, we look pretty ordinary. I was excited to see Gulden back but he's not playing a role where he's getting a chance to use the ball much. I know he's only a kid, but when he's playing well, we go up a level IMO. He's playing a role, but I'd like to see him close to the action more often.

Brand. Enough has been said. I'm not sure I would write him off quite yet because we simply don't have options in defence, but it wasn't good yesterday. That ridiculous handball was just the icing on the cake. As for Bell, I've never been a fan, but like last week, I think he was far from our worst. I'd prefer Wicks in the side for tackling pressure, but at least Bell showed he could hit a couple of targets under pressure in the last quarter when the heat was on. More than I can say for a couple of others. His ceiling is pretty low though overall and I wouldn't persist with him once others are fit.

A really frustrating loss because it was there for he taking, but nowhere near as appalling as the Hawks and Freo losses. The rest of the round was terrific for us with the Weagles, Tigers and GWS results, so no harm done really. If we can play well against the Weagles, we'll be on track. Hopefully Warner will be back soon because he is greatly missed.
Good summary. Given how poorly the swans use the ball, players like McInerney who have high contested possession number are critical. He was best in my view.

Heeney seems to really struggle with contested ground balls. His best games this year have been when Buddy draws two defenders leaving Heeney un-marked. When he gets a very good close checking player he struggles.

Gulden benefits greatly from having Wicks take the best small defender.

It was pretty clear from the fact McInerney spent time deep in defense that the strategy was to roll the wings back. Bell played a role then in running up to take the opposition wingers. This was reflected in his distance running and high pressure act number. Doing this will not get you many possessions, so whilst it looks like he had a poor game, he might of actually played his role perfectly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we sure we were that young against port? What were the average ages of both sides that played?

well. there you go. we are a young team myth busted.

yes, but surely franklin, parker, kennedy, hickey and maybe rampe would increase our age average significantly ... five players
and port have a core of good younger players who've been together 2-3 seasons now ... i remain very confident that's the direction we're headed ...

yes, but surely franklin, parker, kennedy, hickey and maybe rampe would increase our age average significantly ... five players
and port have a core of good younger players who've been together 2-3 seasons now ... i remain very confident that's the direction we're headed ...
Rampe is nearly 2.5 years older than Parker, so he contributes more to the older profile. If we continue to hit the draft, we're heading for a decent drop again in ave. age soon. If Port had Gray, Clurey in and Hartlett wasn't a late out for Frederick, we'd have been the younger team.

Playing both Fox (28) and Brand (27), which we wouldn't normally do, also doesn't help.

well. there you go. we are a young team myth busted.
Yes, but the difference is who we have to rely on to win. Parker, Kennedy, Rampe, and Lloyd are very consistent, but we look best when Warner, McInerney, Hayward, Gulden and Dawson are taking the lead.
So even though we are older, the players we are relying on to take us forward ar younger.

Being young also isnt an excuse in my opinion, we could and should've won, but it does help explain our inconsistency.

Strangely enough I felt more confident in how the swans would play last year even though we were probably younger, the difference is that the kids have taken a step up, but not enough to be consistent

Yes, but the difference is who we have to rely on to win. Parker, Kennedy, Rampe, and Lloyd are very consistent, but we look best when Warner, McInerney, Hayward, Gulden and Dawson are taking the lead.
So even though we are older, the players we are relying on to take us forward ar younger.

Being young also isnt an excuse in my opinion, we could and should've won, but it does help explain our inconsistency.

Strangely enough I felt more confident in how the swans would play last year even though we were probably younger, the difference is that the kids have taken a step up, but not enough to be consistent

that'll come with confidence ... which comes from being allowed to stick together and play together ... which comes from the coaching staff having faith and not be looking to make 4-6 kneejerk changes after what was, in the bigger picture, a tough, close road loss to a team still regarded as a top four/flag contender
and despite what we're all labelling inconsistency this season, we've had only two bad (scoreboard) losses, and add the freo debacle, which was really only the third quarter (from memory ... although tried to blot out that memory) ...
quite simply, we're not going as badly as many on this board seem to be saying week after week ...

We're 10th for average age and games played. Roughly what you'd expect for a team that's been on an obvious rebuild for a few years (and a more silent one for longer than that), got some ageing players finishing up in 1-2 years etc, but with a bunch of youngsters as well. Expect we'll have the likes of Sinclair, Naismith, Gray no longer with us at the end of this year, or next. JPK, Buddy likely the same, Rampe a possible (next year obviously for these 3). Then we could have a year or two without any retirees (Parker, Fox next in line). The teams below us have also been gutting lists, and are a couple of years behind getting games/years into their kids.

Brisbane is the scary one. Already top 4 with that age/experience profile, setting up for a prolonged run at flags/finals. But then the Dogs dropped off after 2016 for a while, so nothing is a foregone conclusion.

1624849087236.png

Also rewatching the game, our players get sucked into the contest too much. We can never get a clean ball out of a stoppage.
Port players hold their outside positions so when they get the ball they have time and space to use it.
We barely ever see that kind of structure where a player is waiting on the wings for the give

Nail on head. All sucked into the contest liked Auskickers. Having said that although costing us not losing heart with it. Listened to Adam Simpson interview one day and he said although it sounds very simple it is one of the hardest skills to coach in the game, especially to young players. As much as I can’t stand the guy I went to a coaching seminar about 6 years ago and Chris Scott said ground positioning especially around the contest is something Geelong have been constantly training in game simulation for years. Session after session. Again sounds pretty basic but when you consider gameplan, ball movement patterns forward and defensive structures it would take time to teach young players. Gone are the days when players were allowed to just play on their instincts. Frustrating but the way it is.

Florent and McCartin have both had a number of excellent games this year.

Ollie has been a very steady improving contributor until the last 2 or 3 games.

In the early rounds McCartin was great. He's only 21 and defenders improve with age.

I think we need to give these guys a bit of slack.
Taking the piss about Florent?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back