Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of finals games round 1 is about as special as it gets, and normally a couple players making their club debuts. imagine making your debut and getting handed a movie character inspired guernsey to wear.

Meanwhile at Port we are struggling to get approval to wear our traditional strip for a one off in our 150th year.
It amazes me that we cannot wear it as our home guernsey but against Collingwood. It seems so against common sense!

]
Fallen AFL champion Ben Cousins will stand trial in Perth over alleged family violence after he pleaded not guilty to 14 charges.
The 40-year-old drug addict was arrested at a Canning Vale house in August and charged with 18 offences, including meth possession.
Cousins appeared in Armadale Magistrates Court on Tuesday via video link from Hakea prison where he pleaded not guilty to 12 counts of breaching a violence restraining order, and one count each of stalking and threatening to harm.
A trial date was set for September 12 and the police prosecutor said there were a "league" of officers who could testify.
From Peppermint Grove to Armadale...wowzers...that's a fall that Red Bull Jumper would be proud of.

Here's an artist's impression of what we'll be wearing against Collingwood in round 7.

Correction:

DyqsrzLVYAEw-gb.jpg

Former AFL player Brian Lake has faced a Melbourne court over accusations he stalked a woman, kept her under video surveillance and told her he listened to her private conversations. The 37-year-old 2013 Norm Smith medallist is also charged with assault, trespass, property damage and failing to answer bail. . It is alleged the Caroline Springs resident intentionally damaged a bedroom door, valued at $200.

It is also claimed that he trespassed and entered a private property at Aintree without authority on February 17 this year. According to court documents, Lake allegedly stalked a woman between February 15 and 17 this year, keeping her under video surveillance at her home address and advising he was listening to her private conversations via iPad software, with the intention of causing physical or mental harm to her or by arousing apprehension or fear.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...court-on-stalking-charge-20190313-p513wy.html

Former AFL player Brian Lake has faced a Melbourne court over accusations he stalked a woman, kept her under video surveillance and told her he listened to her private conversations. The 37-year-old 2013 Norm Smith medallist is also charged with assault, trespass, property damage and failing to answer bail. . It is alleged the Caroline Springs resident intentionally damaged a bedroom door, valued at $200.

It is also claimed that he trespassed and entered a private property at Aintree without authority on February 17 this year. According to court documents, Lake allegedly stalked a woman between February 15 and 17 this year, keeping her under video surveillance at her home address and advising he was listening to her private conversations via iPad software, with the intention of causing physical or mental harm to her or by arousing apprehension or fear.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...court-on-stalking-charge-20190313-p513wy.html
He'll be back on our TVs within 3 months

Now officially a legend of WA football - if it's good enough for B. Robran to be a legend in the Australian Football HoF then surely Stephen Michael should be afforded he same honour...

One of the greatest players I have ever seen play the game.

I've told Paddy Ryder that the way he moves around the ground he reminds me of Stephen Michael. Paddy told me I'm not the first person to tell him that. Michael in the last few years of his career stopped rucking, became an ruck rover and also an enforcer. I hope Paddy starts using his body around the ground a bit like Michael did late in his career. Paddy put on a decent bump/hit on a North player at Alberton on Saturday, and my first thought was, we need to see more of that this year, Stephen Michael style play.

I have no doubt that when the AFL move the Hall of Fame night to Perth at the new stadium, in the next couple of years, Michael will be elevated as WA's 3rd Legend, all aboriginal players to join Farmer and Cable.

Edit GremioPower this is one of those great Western Australian Aboriginal players I told you about when you asked me why Wanganeen was the first Aboriginal player to win the Brownlow and play 300 games.

Last edited:

I've told Paddy Ryder that the way he moves around the ground he reminds me of Stephen Michael. Paddy told me I'm not the first person to tell him that. Michael in the last few years of his career stopped rucking, became an ruck rover and also an enforcer. I hope Paddy starts using his body around the ground a bit like Michael did late in his career. Paddy put on a decent bump/hit on a North player at Alberton on Saturday, and my first thought was, we need to see more of that this year, Stephen Michael style play.

I have no doubt that when the AFL move the Hall of Fame night to Perth at the new stadium, in the next couple of years, Michael will be elevated as WA's 3rd Legend, all aboriginal players to join Farmer and Cable.

Edit GremioPower this is one of those great Western Australian Aboriginal players I told you about when you asked me why Wanganeen was the first Aboriginal player to win the Brownlow and play 300 games.

Russell Stephen had wonderful leg speed and great ground skills also.And hit like a brick wall with thoes shirt fronts.Would love Paddy to play that style of footy.Dont think Paddy has Stephans leg speed but probably as good overhead mark.Paddy might also be a longer kick.

I doubt he's watched any.

Here's some stats for you Snakey. Last years BnF:

7th - Byrne-Jones
8th - Houston
25th - Pittard

With Hartlett and Broadbent to come back and adding Mayes and Burton as well.

I like Pittard and I think he can have a good career at North, but he was never having a good career at Port. Needed the fresh start to have any chance.

I have only just seen the back of this guernsey. Remember, they are playing Sydney:

UHeycSq.jpg
a) it's meant to represent Thor's cape
b) Sydney now have to wear their predominantly white jersey (which I don't mind actually)
c) what a shambles of a sell out

Now officially a legend of WA football - if it's good enough for B. Robran to be a legend in the Australian Football HoF then surely Stephen Michael should be afforded he same honour...

This sort of video gets me so riled up. As with Ebert, the fact that he's not a Legend already is an indictment on the entire Legend system.

I've heard arguments either way about Legend status even existing as a thing, and personally I don't mind the idea. But ultimately, it's totally meaningless when you have 2 players who are regularly talked about as being among the greatest few of all time from their respective states (which are 2 of the big 3 football states) and they haven't been elevated.

Meanwhile of the 28 current legends, 24 of them were primarily elevated because of their VFL football.

Of the others, Lockett played primarily during the AFL era, but carrying over from the VFL.
Cable and Farmer played HoF careers in the WAFL before having very successful stints in the VFL.
Robran is the only member of the HoF not to play in the VFL at all.

It's just s**t, and there isn't enough of a scene made about it by non-Victorian football IMO. Russell Ebert has 4 Magareys ffs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At what point does it become relatively pointless for Port to be competing in the AFL? Even the now mythical Alberton redesign was garbage compared to the new Carlton base and now this.

Hawthorn wants to build one of the world’s biggest and best training bases at its new Dingley home by the end of 2022.
The club has submitted new plans to construct a dazzling $130 million headquarters and community facility across 80 acres.

The Hawks will contribute about $80 million and seek $50 million in Government and AFL funds to complete the Kennedy Community Centre.

fe669c386977e8ff256025142054a1d4.jpeg
9383c9b0bb6ef864d990454394d4de4a.jpeg
a925204dd0c78f15a44c627c4ba7ca15.jpeg

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/79229fa47f99fb0a181ffd77382a7520

At what point does it become relatively pointless for Port to be competing in the AFL? Even the now mythical Alberton redesign was garbage compared to the new Carlton base and now this.

Hawthorn wants to build one of the world’s biggest and best training bases at its new Dingley home by the end of 2022.
The club has submitted new plans to construct a dazzling $130 million headquarters and community facility across 80 acres.

The Hawks will contribute about $80 million and seek $50 million in Government and AFL funds to complete the Kennedy Community Centre.

View attachment 634652
View attachment 634653
View attachment 634654

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/79229fa47f99fb0a181ffd77382a7520
Those coffees with Gill are finally paying dividends.

View attachment 634652
View attachment 634653
View attachment 634654

Dingley is 20km from Hawthorn. It'd be like us setting up shop at Virginia.

We're never going to be at the top of this sort of facilities arm race, but if we're clever around government funding with our womens and indigenous programs, we'll have more than enough to be competitive.

View attachment 634652
View attachment 634653
View attachment 634654

Alistair Clarkson is a Jedi master?

View attachment 634652
View attachment 634653
View attachment 634654

Were we ever told joining the AFL would be easy? We will keep competing against the odds, because that's simply the nature of things.

We are the only non-VFL traditional club in the league: South Melbourne and Fitzroy were relocated; WC, Freo, GWS, GC, and West Lakes were created out of nothing. We are alone; unable to rely on no one, but ourselves. We knew that, but there was no alternative. So, we went for it.

Let them all have it easy. Life is unfair, but that has never been an excuse for us. We are Port Adelaide. We will do our best and some more to win. It is nothing we haven't already done before. This is who we are, and the reason why I am here.

P.S.: West Lakes is SANFL shamelessly transformed into a VFL franchise, but let's go with "out of nothing" here and avoid controversy.

Last edited:

View attachment 634652
View attachment 634653
View attachment 634654

When I see this sort of stuff sometimes I feel so despondent. Weren’t we supposed to have a world class HP department?... since the announcement there has been ziilch. I am tired of our big announcements that seem to lead nowhere. Meanwhile there is more chance that the big ‘have’ clubs.. Hawks, Crows will jump ahead of us in those goals. I guess we remain that little working class club.

Clarko must definitely be doing the shouting. AFL and Vic government seem to be pouring a hell of a lot of money into the Vic AFL clubs. In SA we have to fight for every little penny. We can’t even have a temporary Game Day Village ffs.

Clarko must definitely be doing the shouting. AFL and Vic government seem to be pouring a hell of a lot of money into the Vic AFL clubs. In SA we have to fight for every little penny. We can’t even have a temporary Game Day Village ffs.

Sorry to break the circlejerk, but please point me where the AFL has committed to funding it? And if they eventually do it will be a relatively minor amount late in the process.

The Hawks have done the heavy lifting here, building momentum in the project negotiating with councils & developers, drawing on wealthy supporters, then convincing financial backers with a compelling case. Now they'll go to the government and AFL bodies with a very strong argument that it's not pie in the sky stuff - it's happening so get on board with it. And guess what, they will probably get the remaining funds.

That's what it takes. No reason why the PAFC cannot achieve the same vision should the powers that be prioritise it, but whether rightly or wrongly it sounds as though we are putting the majority of the huge amount of energy and cohesion required into other endeavours (ie. China, Indigenous Community Programs, fighting fires on the SMA front and surely soon enough AFLW & a national mens reserves side will be on the agenda).

One thing is certain - it definitely won't be achieved by anyone sitting on here dick in hand bleating about life being so unfair and "Gil-the-dill" and whatnot.

Sorry to break the circlejerk, but please point me where the AFL has committed to funding it? And if they eventually do it will be a relatively minor amount late in the process.

The Hawks have done the heavy lifting here, building momentum in the project negotiating with councils & developers, drawing on wealthy supporters, then convincing financial backers with a compelling case. Now they'll go to the government and AFL bodies with a very strong argument that it's not pie in the sky stuff - it's happening so get on board with it. And guess what, they will probably get the remaining funds.

That's what it takes. No reason why the PAFC cannot achieve the same vision should the powers that be prioritise it, but whether rightly or wrongly it sounds as though we are putting the majority of the huge amount of energy and cohesion required into other endeavours (ie. China, Indigenous Community Programs, fighting fires on the SMA front and surely soon enough AFLW & a national mens reserves side will be on the agenda).

One thing is certain - it definitely won't be achieved by anyone sitting on here dick in hand bleating about life being so unfair and "Gil-the-dill" and whatnot.

When you win 4 premierships in the period they have and become as wealthy as what Hawthorn have as a result of that success you can afford that sort of a facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back