Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many volunteers at every AFL club who do plenty of work for the love of the club, or to get a foot in the door in the industry. It is incredibly common and Melbourne have done zilch wrong, especially in the climate of soft cap expenditure being slashed, in advertising for volunteers.
Meh, we view "volunteering" differently I'd say.

It being common or legal doesn't make it right. If I was Melbourne I wouldn't be hiring people for that length of time unless I was paying them. That's just me though.

Meh, we view "volunteering" differently I'd say.

It being common or legal doesn't make it right. If I was Melbourne I wouldn't be hiring people for that length of time unless I was paying them. That's just me though.
They ****ed up in their wording - its not for 11 months straight. CEO Gary Pert from the article

“The scope and intent of the program was to keep the time frame flexible, to allow us to accommodate students at any month of the proposed period,” Pert told the Herald Sun.

“To be clear, this pathway program does not run for a total of 11 months. Instead, the duration of the program is predicated on the student’s individual course requirements and no student’s hours will exceed the amount they need to complete their university unit.

They f’ed up in their wording - its not for 11 months straight. CEO Gary Pert from the article

“The scope and intent of the program was to keep the time frame flexible, to allow us to accommodate students at any month of the proposed period,” Pert told the Herald Sun.

“To be clear, this pathway program does not run for a total of 11 months. Instead, the duration of the program is predicated on the student’s individual course requirements and no student’s hours will exceed the amount they need to complete their university unit.

If it is linked to a university course, and is required in order to complete their degree - then there is no issue. However I wouldn't expect that to go for more than about 8 weeks per individual.

So Melbourne is crying poor about its football department soft cap by trying to hire people with actual useful skills for free, meanwhile the lion's share of that football department cap is being spent on... Simon Goodwin?

Righty-o

Just looking at Melbourne's "graduate program" from another perspective, can you imagine trawling through all of the applications?

Good luck with that, unis are handing out computer science degrees like confetti these days.

Who knows how long it will take to train the volunteers, then see how long people stay once they secure actual employment.

So Melbourne is crying poor about its football department soft cap by trying to hire people with actual useful skills for free, meanwhile the lion's share of that football department cap is being spent on... Simon Goodwin?

Righty-o

In bizarr-o world Simon Goodwin has taken a 10% pay cut of his gargantuan post COVID salary and Melbourne has now been able to fund 3 part time analysts at their club.

If it is linked to a university course, and is required in order to complete their degree - then there is no issue. However I wouldn't expect that to go for more than about 8 weeks per individual.
Different courses have different requirements.

An engineer mate of mine had to do a 6 month placement about 60% was during the academic year and 40% during holidays. Yes he got paid - how much, I don't remember.

Burgo is still at Melbourne. If these applicants are expected to come from sports science course he would have advised what sort of time frames would have required for the students to complete their unit. Maybe students can get credit for more than one unit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was the toilet cleaner at Alberton in 1967 and I got to keep the toilet brush

I was the toilet cleaner at Alberton in 1966 and it was six months before they even sprang for a brush.

In bizarr-o world Simon Goodwin has taken a 10% pay cut of his gargantuan post COVID salary and Melbourne has now been able to fund 3 part time analysts at their club.

Is that 10% coming out of the punt budget or the gear budget?

Who, fresh out of UNI, desperate for a job in the AFL industry, with very little other prospects, wouldn't jump at the chance at doing 10 hours a week for free at an AFL club? You'd be doing the sh*t kicker stuff, but there is nothing, and I mean nothing like hands on experience. When these jobs open back up to paid roles, who do you reckon has their foot in the door with both experience and contacts? In the mean time it isn't stopping you from exploring other paid positions, doing further studies or earning income from waiting tables. Sometimes you have to look beyond your narrow Marxist ideologies.

People should get paid for doing work is 'Marxist' now. lol

some crows supporters now starting to whinge saying the academy system is flawed cause they might miss out on the best kid in the draft. LOL's

They have a point. It was much fairer when we won 3 games in 2011 and got pick 6. Which after the mini draft that preceded it, was essentially barely a top ten pick.

No It wasn't, GWS and Gold Coast had just entered the comp then and they were still getting heavily top sided draft concessions. It was far from fair then for all clubs that were struggling at that point in time.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back