Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

COLLINGWOOD forward Lachie Schultz has copped a one-match ban for a strike late in Friday night's win over Carlton, while defender Brayden Maynard has escaped suspension for his dangerous tackle on Matt Owies.

Schultz lashed out at Carlton's Blake Acres off the ball late in the final term, striking him high in the back of the neck/head area and giving away a free kick.
Is this a “grade it intentional” so they can’t use the Hogan defence?

Intentional, high contact, low impact. No need to use the “likely to cause serious injury” clause to up grade it to 1 match if it’s deemed intentional.

lol, I played a season at Fitzroy once and we won one game. I take it the club has improved a tad since then.
They have good years and bad. I think the B’s played in the grand final last year and the A’s won it a couple of years ago.

Like all local football clubs, good management means you get results

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown looks like he’s going to have a long holiday.
Looks 1970s stuff on the replay.
I have watched this about 20 times.

There was always going to be a collision. Players come in at 90 degrees to each other and only 1 step difference to getting to the ball by Brown behind McCartin.

Brown had a reflex action, braced and bumped McCartin in body and head, and cut his face. He will get weeks, maybe 4, but I want the AFL to admit to the footy world either via the MRO or one of its dopey KC's, that you are allowed to protect yourself.

Admit that players have a duty of care to themselves as much as to the other player.

I have watched this about 20 times.

There was always going to be a collision. Players come in at 90 degrees to each other and only 1 step difference to getting to the ball by Brown behind McCartin.

Brown had a reflex action and bumped McCartin in body and head, and cut his face. He will get weeks, maybe 4, but I want the AFL to admit to the footy world either via the MRO or on of its dopey KC's, that you are allowed to protect yourself.

Admit that players have a duty of care to themselves as much as to the other player.
I only watched it once, looked like an elbow to the head but that’s just a first impression.

I only watched it once, looked like an elbow to the head but that’s just a first impression.
That's my first impression but I saw the full replay that showed the 2 angles and i freeze framed it to see how close the players were to each other when McCartin first touched the ball. It was a classic collision situation.

I'm not sure that Brown could have stuck his arms out to do a tackle. He probably would have hit McCartin in the head with his arms anyway.

Is this a “grade it intentional” so they can’t use the Hogan defence?

Intentional, high contact, low impact. No need to use the “likely to cause serious injury” clause to up grade it to 1 match if it’s deemed intentional.
No, Hogan was graded intentional. He got off because they said it was negligible impact, and this not a reportable offence.

They successfully managed to argue that you can't be suspended for throwing a punch and missing under the current guidelines.

Which just shows how much of a joke the AFL is.

Hit him in the head with his shoulder and had braced for contact. Will get weeks.

What’s all this leading up to the ball carrier by the forwards and mids kicking to the forwards advantage in this game?

The contrast next week is going to be stark but don’t worry, Kenny’s style is tried and tested!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back