Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep - it gets replayed on the ABC Sport streaming station on Monday mornings, which is where I heard it.

Have zero interest in NRL but just love the way Pickhaver and Doyle work off each other. Even though most of what they say is made up BS for comedic effect, it makes more sense than a lot of commentary you get elsewhere.

Pickhaver is an Adelaide boy so the real footy often gets a mention.
I stream it.

Edit: As Festerz posted
The good old days were when they commentated on the AFL & NRL grand finals, bloody hilarious!!

A lot better than listening to BT or Rowe along with all the other peanut broadcasters.

The talking up of Essendon after one week is bewildering.

Their other wins:

Hawks
Saints
Bulldogs
Crows
West Coast

Destroyed by Port. That's reason enough to keep a lid on things

Drew with Collingwood who are in pretty good form now.

Only other loss was against Sydney in Sydney and they were with them most of the night.

They are looking good, Port game aside. Still a long way to go though.

The good old days were when they commentated on the AFL & NRL grand finals, bloody hilarious!!

A lot better than listening to BT or Rowe along with all the other peanut broadcasters.

I found an old Festival of the Boot t-shirt at the back of a wardrobe a while ago - wouldn't fit a man half my size now though :neutral:

Western Bulldogs draftee Aiden O’Driscoll (pick 55 2023 from WA) has been forced into retirement due to concussion. He recently met with the AFL’s concussion panel after he was knocked out at training in January. Drafted in November, his AFL dream is over inside six months.

News Corpse has reached peak overuse of the term "star"...

1715660756461.png

Western Bulldogs draftee Aiden O’Driscoll (pick 55 2023 from WA) has been forced into retirement due to concussion. He recently met with the AFL’s concussion panel after he was knocked out at training in January. Drafted in November, his AFL dream is over inside six months.
Only the 2023 draft?

That must have been some training session.

Geez we've had some funny draws, just off the top of my head, bad kicking and ;etting a team comeback has been involved in most of them:
Brisbane 1997 at the Gabba, let a strong lead slip away.
Brisbane 1998 at the Gabba, another strong lead slip, Dew horrendous kick out straight to Shaun Hart late in the game.
Geelong 2000 at Aami 12.6 to 10.18, woeful kicking cost us that win. 10 more scoring shots!!
Cartlon 2005 at Aami 16.13 to 15.19, poor kicking cost us again, especially the last quarter.
Richmond 2012 at the MCG 16.10 to 16.10, probably the only draw we've had that didn't feel like a loss. Poor year so draw felt as good as a win at the time and we had to come from behind this time around late in the game.

*West coast at AO for the Elimination final too. regular time draw and poor 9.6 to 8.12, poor kicking again.
I'm for leaving the draw as is, but there are plenty of cases where one side gets the better of it. If you're having more scoring shots and losing, you've come out worse. If you're the side chased down in the last quarter you've come out worse. Obviously these two could cancel out. From these two, only the Richmond game would you classify as a 'partial win'.

Draws aren't common anyway, margins of 1 or 2 points are much more common. Which makes sense, as at these margins the side in the lead tries to play 'keepy off', leading to less chances for a turnover. With a draw, both sides are generally taking more risks, so they're either scoring or turning it over.

I reckon half this board wanted our Club Doctor hung, drawn and quartered for the Allir-Jones collision and then there was another large portion that even thought our penalty was too soft. But it was obvious then and even more obvious now we were being made an example of, and the trial by Media certainly didn't help. Plenty of Crows supporting neurologist that came out of the woodwork too. But we've now had multiple similar cases since where there is nothing to see here.

We wonder why our players roll over and die so easily when under any pressure when our supporter base does the same. We no doubt erred on the opposite side of caution with Allir because we wanted to win an important game of footy and that has been happening in the entire history of competitive sport, we are getting better at it but the Cameron example is another case where the win at all cost mentality prevailed over player safety. I'm not saying it is right but never understood why Port got so harshly punished for something that still happens quite regularly.

Anything come about the Liberatore collapse and continue playing.

Its far too easy for clubs to play the “delayed concussion” card

I was critical about how our club let Aliir go back on after his knock. I am also absolutely livid that Geelong has been able to get away with not properly testing Cameron.

I am very cynical about the AFL's approach to head injuries. It is all about being seen to be doing something without having to do something material.

I was critical about how our club let Aliir go back on after his knock. I am also absolutely livid that Geelong has been able to get away with not properly testing Cameron.

I am very cynical about the AFL's approach to head injuries. It is all about being seen to be doing something without having to do something material.
The AFL's approach to anything, though it's also they want to be able to manipulate the rules to benefit the clubs (Vic) they want. If it'd been a Vic player, especially a high profile one, who said a homophobic slur after Finlayson, instead of a Gold Coast player, does anyone here seriously think it'd have been five weeks? It'd have been 'the word wasn't as bad', 1 or 2 weeks. And if it'd been in or leading up to finals, 'it was misheard, he actually said he was a doofter', no suspension.

Absolutely. They need to follow the lead of other sports and have an independent doctor sit in the ARC and have the ability to call time out on the game, and demand that the player comes off and does an off field HIA. If club doctors keep playing funny buggers, the HIA should be done independently as well...

Here's probably an unpopular opinion, I didn't have a problem with most of what Chris Scott said. I wish Port had an articulate coach who was willing to make such statements

If the exact reverse happened, we'd be furious with 360° tackles not being called, and the non-advantage goal. Then we'd be livid if the Bell Park Ball Sack just said yeah nah you gotta be lucky sometimes hurrr hurr
Chris Scott and Ken Hinkley are both selfish entitled w***ers who will say whatever will be of the most benefit with little to no regard as to whether or not it's true. The difference between them is that Chris Scott will do this to benefit Geelong as a whole, whereas Ken Hinkley will do this to benefit Ken Hinkley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hence why it needs to be an independent doctor who makes the assessment on game day.
Had to laugh about this yesterday. When asked about the need for a medico who was independent of clubs or the AFL to make the game day assessment of concussion, AFL Chief Andrew Dillon said the club doctors did not want this as it took away their understanding of the individual players.

Within 2 hours the AFL Medical Association (which represents the AFL club medicos) completely contradicted Dillon saying it supports the introduction of independent medicos to help rule when a player is concussed on field.

So yet again, the Dill is caught out talking utter BS. Making statements on the run without checking the facts. It's getting embarrassing and to the point where he just can't be trusted.

Had to laugh about this yesterday. When asked about the need for a medico who was independent of clubs or the AFL to make the game day assessment of concussion, AFL Chief Andrew Dillon said the club doctors did not want this as it took away their understanding of the individual players.

Within 2 hours the AFL Doctors' Association completely contradicted Dillon saying it supports the introduction of independent medicos to help rule when a player is concussed on field.

So yet again, the Dill is caught out talking utter BS. Making statements on the run without checking the facts. It's getting embarrassing and to the point where he just can't be trusted.
The AFL could easily eliminate the need for 'independent doctors' by actually holding the Victorian clubs to account for their errors (Cameron and Liberatore from the last month alone) the way we were held account for our error with Aliir. But they won't, of course. We're in a competition where we don't have an independent and unbiased governing body to regulate doctors, so we need independent and unbiased doctors instead.

The neutral Dr should get the back up umpire to run out and pull the player.

If they don't come off immediately pay a free and 50m penalty.

It won't take long for players to run straight off.
The idea that a competent concussion assessment can be undertaken on the field within a few seconds while the game is still in play is so obviously idiotic it is laughable.

It's not done with a suspected ACL rupture so why the feck is it done with a potentially life affecting head injury?

We all know this is going to change. But the fact Dillon, yet again, denies the need for change before finally be dragged kicking and screaming to make the change just shows (IMHO) he is not a suitable person to lead the AFL.

As Schulzy says, its yet another symptom of the lack of accountability at AFL House brought on by the lack of an independent governing body charged with the oversight of ALL aspects of the game, its clubs, players and supporters on a national level.

I hate Essendon, and that the league has rewarded them but I think its silly to deny that they haven't been good.

A good win (GWS) and a draw ( Collingwood) could be considered good form.

Not sure 1 goal or less wins against the Crows and and West Coast puts them in the scintillating category.

Boys at Fox Footy along with those On the Couch reckon Geelong doctor did a 39 second HIA.

Seems adequate. I’m sure the National doctor’s association will sign off on that as being correct diagnosis process for head injuries.

Dr: hey Jeremy, how do you feel?
Cameron: all good doc
Dr: any symptoms?
Cameron: ummm…. Narr… thinking about maccas on the way home after the fish, the whiting aren’t running
Dr: you’re all good.

Fantastic that Centrals great, Sonny Morey has been made the Sir Doug Nicholls Round honouree. He was part of Stolen Generation, taken from his mother in Alice Springs when he was 8, never saw her again, and brought down to SA. He played in Centrals first official SANFL match for premiership points and was Centrals first 200 gamer. Last year was finally inducted into SA Football Hall of Fame.

Played state footy, I remember him playing a couple games in 1974, and he kept Leigh Matthews goalless in one of them. Sonny was a solid, hard footballer with plenty of speed.

He and along with Wilbur Wilson were regular players for Centrals, providing some exciting fast footy, when I first started watching the game. He was probably one of the first attacking back pocket players using his speed to advantage.

A 12 minute video The Sonny Morey Story is embedded in this AFL story. It's worth a watch.

The game Sonny's wife talks about in the video, was in 1976 which Centrals won at Glenelg after the previous year losing 49.23 v 11.13. The 1976 Rd 18 game Centrals won 23.12 v 16.16 down at the Bay after losing at home in Rd 6 to Glenelg by 40 pts.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back