Opinion Possible unpopular opinion re: Coaching Team/Selection Committee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting.

Two posters who are very credible in what they post, having vastly different information given to them in regard to how the team is put together and who gets the final say.

What I will say, is how much the club seem to get selection wrong. As others have said, we are currently playing too many low possession winning forwards who have no ability to rotate through the middle. The centre square set up is the same 4-5 guys whilst other teams are using 8+. It has to wear on our players win asked to carry to much of the burden.

I though got this year was going to be different after seeing who was put through the middle in the JLT, but alas, it is currently status quo.

Fact is. Out midfield is not good enough. We've just taken out 3 senior midfielders in Wells, NDal, Harvey out of the team. Now we have Swallow & Gibson on the slide. How do you drop a former captain & a player with 100+ games in a row. Once our chances of making the finals is gone, I think the selection committee will make these changes.
As for Maj, he needs to be fit & have his confidence up to play.

Geez... this thread went bang, in an interesting way.

I'm not sure how some posters believe DP was having a crack at ANYONE, least of all Crocker, I certainly didn't take that from his post. What I did take from it was that not everything should be just blamed on Brad because he's the coach, he has a core group around him, so as a whole, that's where it sits for me.

Team selection is always a matter of conversation, and that's fine, do I agree with all the ins and outs we make, no, definitely not..... but I'm not tasked with the role either. I'd love us to be more ruthless, Spitta and LT in my opinion are struggling, perhaps a rest wouldn't hurt? For what it's worth, I would've rested Swallow last weekend in WA, and brought in Clarke, but It could also have easily been Wags or Jed.

I don't like us being 0-5, my mates are giving me a hammering, as is the local radio station (ABC Hobart sport reported I was seen visiting a local doctor yesterday by the name of Dr Winwun Soon..... smart arses lol). What I am seeing is us being competitive against 5 teams currently in the top 8. I'm also seeing a kid called Jy "selling candy" only 3 games into his hopefully long North Melbourne career, a guy "man mountain" burst on to the scene and be a serious contender for Goldies ruck crown and who would've thought a Collingwood reject would fit into our backline like it was "meant to be".

I have faith in Brad, I don't always agree with positional moves, team selection or what he says, but he's coach of North Melbourne, so my respect goes to him!

Ps: Good conversational post DP :thumbsu:

This thread is ridiculous. None of you have any idea what goes on behind the scenes. Nothing but baseless speculation.
Mate. As far as you know the guy who could be passing me the info could be brad himself (it's not).
Just because you disagree with the narrative (saying it's baseless) doesn't mean it actually is. It's your opinion it's baseless. I'm telling you it's not.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I rate you as a poster DP, but I'm not following you with this stuff.

Our footy department have been very good for the last few years all things considered.

The odd selection * up here and there.

It's that lack of tactical flexibility from the coach that tends to s**t me the most, but right now he's in development mode, so I see the reasons for persistence with certain themes.

Mate. As far as you know the guy who could be passing me the info could be brad himself (it's not).
Just because you disagree with the narrative (saying it's baseless) doesn't mean it actually is. It's your opinion it's baseless. I'm telling you it's not.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Should have worded that better. Others are speculating wildly based on your information.

Should have worded that better. Others are speculating wildly based on your information.
Fair point. Not good to speculate wildly.
But I can almost guarantee what I've said has some basis in fact. The guy who told me it has never been wrong.

I think the comment Crocker is part of the furniture is a good one. Too many at the club seem to be part of the furniture. Has it become an echo chamber?

rippersnipper, post: 49874419, member: 154214"]Go down to the club on selection day and barge into the room, whip out a gun and threaten each and every single one of them until they make the desired changes
This week's picks are crucial. If LT and swallow are selected, l will be super cranky - the club will show complete denial on where our club is at.

I get the vibe from scotts post match interview that he is ready to make some big calls. Expecting 4 changes this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are 4 wins and 15 losses in close games under Braddles

Even though those stats are factual, it would be even more interesting to know...

How many were lost by north being overrun after giving up a lead of more than 4 or 5 goals?

How many were lost from having a small lead, but the opposition were always within a kick or so?

How many were lost when north were behind by less than 3 or 4 goals but almost pulled off a comeback?

How many were won by north overcoming a lead of more than 4 or 5 goals?

How many were won by north holding onto a slender lead of less than 3 or 4 goals?

How many were won by north after a see-sawing battle when the lead was swapping through out the last quarter?

How many were won or lost on the last meaningful kick of the match?

This week's picks are crucial. If LT and swallow are selected, l will be super cranky - the club will show complete denial on where our club is at.

I get the vibe from scotts post match interview that he is ready to make some big calls. Expecting 4 changes this week.

I don't get that vibe at all. I expect no changes lol

Last edited:
I'm just glad there's a thread initiating reasoned discussion so thanks OP. I'm still not sure what to make of the last 9 months and the factors that lead to a swift demise.

Bad luck such as a s**t draw, injuries and over the hill players certainly played a part as did preventable problems such as questionable youth development and dodgey selections and game day coaching.

As an outsider I have no idea of the inner machinations of the club but judging by the stagnant board that recently featured Brayshaw handing the reigns to good mate Buckley as well as changing the constitution to veto any non-approved board candidates it seems a lack of accountability has made the club too comfortable at least in the on-field pursuit of success.

Some powers-that-be at the club are too afraid of rocking their standing to make the harsh calls needed in a cutthroat professional competition. These people (whoever they are) need to be weeded out in order to provide the best, most unbiased environment to pursue the ultimate goal of a premiership.

Fact is. Out midfield is not good enough. We've just taken out 3 senior midfielders in Wells, NDal, Harvey out of the team. Now we have Swallow & Gibson on the slide. How do you drop a former captain & a player with 100+ games in a row. Once our chances of making the finals is gone, I think the selection committee will make these changes.

This.

As for Maj, he needs to be fit & have his confidence up to play.

Wasn't he touched up by a 19 year old 85 kilo stick insect on the weekend?

The thing is, we don't have to reinvent the wheel, just do the obvious and we'll be around the mark for top 4.

There are so many s**t teams in this comp.
Unfortunately we are now at the bottom of the s**t pile.

Lack of structure, lack of a gameplay that suits the cattle we have and bewildering selection policy has us squarely on the s**t list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back