Preview Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Fri 16 Sept, 7:50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Play him if he's fit , rest him if he's not
Absolutely.

I'm assuming that if he plays, he is fit.

Would be ultra disappointing if Kolo was selected and was hobbling around out there or just looked completely underdone.

I gotta assume that if he plays then he is good to go... We surely haven't built up this deep squad to play an injured Kolo in a prelim.

As much as I don't love Kolo, I hope he plays and plays pretty well (in a win) because having maximum fit guys available next week is pretty important.

If he doesn't play tomorrow, nobody would love the idea of bringing him in for a GF after not playing a full game for 5 weeks.

Disappointing on Parfitt. A rusty Kolo worries me. Structurally it makes sense.

Im the same as you structurally we want kolo if hes fit but i would have swapped miers for parfitt.

Cant see how moc will tag when hes probably.sub.

Not sure why such a fuss has been made about stanley. He’s always played better against good ruckmen. Won’t have two bad games in a row

He often has had 2 bad games in a row-hopefully not tomorrow

Interested in general thoughts here on how / where we specifically beat Brisbane tomorrow night.

It's been mentioned by a few in the media this year that Geelong (and particularly C Scott) are the best in the AFL for taking away a sides greatest strength. Or as some have said, removing the 1 wood out of the oppositions bag. So that being the case, if you're sitting around the match committee meeting and you're being asked to take away Brisbane's 1 wood, then what is it. The answer obviously goes a long way towards determining if / how we beat Brisbane.

• Is it Lachie Neale - arguable their best player and if we keep him to 25 ineffectual touches we probably win the game?
  • Is it their forward line of McStay, Hipwood, Cameron and Daniher? Obvious answer is yes - restrict F50 entries and we win the game - that stems from the midfield.
  • Is it just pure weight of numbers and we get on top around the ground and play the game on our terms given the talent at our disposal.

The obvious answer is "all of the above" ...... but what's the 1 wood we have to remove from their bag?

Interested in general thoughts here on how / where we specifically beat Brisbane tomorrow night.
If it's about a player, it obviously has to be Neale.

Apart from that, the major concern for me is speed on the ball. If they can consistently bring it fast and clean into that forward line (given the disposal quality of some of their users), we will have issues. Which is why the change to game style this year (in seeing so much more pressure of opposition ball at source) will be so vital. Get that right and it will go a very long way to seeing us earn ourselves another shot at glory.

Would prefer Parfitt in the 22 or at least medi-sub. Prefer O'Connor to Kolo because O'Connor has height, pace and agility. O'Connor can also help out tagging Neale which allows Blicavs to spend some time in the back half if their talls are a problem. The rain predicted won't worry O'Connor given his Gaelic background in Ireland.

If we'd applied that same logic to Rohan in the QF, and not selected him, we'd not be in a prelim right now.

I'd also argue that if Kolo is literally the difference between us winning a flag or not, we are not the real deal afterall.

True. But Rohan was given an opportunity and came through. There are also scant options to replace him in his position. With Kolo we do have options. And he was garbage yet again.

Would prefer Parfitt in the 22 or at least medi-sub. Prefer O'Connor to Kolo because O'Connor has height, pace and agility. O'Connor can also help out tagging Neale which allows Blicavs to spend some time in the back half if their talls are a problem. The rain predicted won't worry O'Connor given his Gaelic background in Ireland.
In theory yes, but the games O'Connor has played recently, he's actually looked very fumbly and tentative with ball in hand. It stood out against the Pies a few times and I was actually screaming for them to keep it out of O'Connor's hands in the late stages of the game.

It's going to come down to him and Parfitt by the looks for that last spot - assuming we're unchanged as C Scott indicated in today's presser.

And as for the O'Connor / Kolo part .......... those two are miles apart in terms of what the coaches see as their strength's I think. Kolo is a welcome sight if for tomorrow - if it stays relatively dry, one of Brisbane's assets is their height inside F50. Kolo has the benefit of being able to play a bit "taller" than O'Connor. Both make me nervous with ball in hand but Kolo a far better pure defender.

It's Parfitt as the sub I think - but won't be surprised if they go with O'Connor.

Agree

Unless JK is completely ruled out at this stage, if he's even at 60/40 I think they'll name him and wait until 6pm tomorrow night to make the call
Yep he will be named but I think unlikely to play (they have been so cautious this year and frankly he isn’t a “must have”. So I assume if he doesnt play that means MOC goes in 22 and Parf as sub? Celglar menagola and Kolo as the other emergencies?

Pretty good to be unchanged in finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A small thing would be to have someone standing more often than not on Rich's left side.
I want the Cats to go through Rich’s opponent at every single opportunity coz he’s as fat and slow as any player I can recall in recent memory playing AFL. Yes he’s still got a lethal leg but whack Brad Close on him and watch him have a night out.

Last edited:
Yep he will be named but I think unlikely to play (they have been so cautious this year and frankly he isn’t a “must have”. So I assume if he doesnt play that means MOC goes in 22 and Parf as sub? Celglar menagola and Kolo as the other emergencies?

Pretty good to be unchanged in finals
I'm not sure Menegola even gets named - reportedly not sighted at training today

Parfitt is a better fit for Sydney or Collingwood.

Somehow I think that not playing him will be an issue and he will be missed as he can be an inside bull.

If he does not play can he get up for the GF with a limited game time of late?

If he cannot get into the team why pick up B-grade players in the draft?
He would be picked in the first round if he were available.
Parfitt is no where near as good as alot of Geel posters think he is

Geelong have had a very good year to date - and it is acredit to the mental toughness of the players to rock up again and win 18 of the 22 h/a games

The current Geel team are an ok to good side but far from some alltime conquering team - and when push came to shove the Geel selectors/match committee could not find a spot in the 22 for him that gives a true indication of that players ability - rather than all the overrated bull shiit you read from alot of posters

Extremely confident that Geel will win easily - a little bit concerned with Cam Guthrie - he didnt move well against the Magpies - and that poster last night - i think the information they gave was too detailed to be wrong

If Guthries good to go Geel by 38 pts - as every poster knows you cant trust Scott in what says re team selections ( unchanged ) so hopefully Cam isnt a late out

Imagine we remain unchanged and have a nice W with no injuries.

You would think that it would be likely to remain unchanged in the GF.

It's something we haven't done all year and with lots of talk about squads and "the team this week won't necessarily be the team next week".

I just find it interesting.

Certainly a chance of a late change (as always)... but if not, you gotta say that this is obviously what the coaches think is our best lineup combination.

Still think Parf is stiff... But hard to find anyone to come out... and that shows how solid the team is.

Disappointed to see Darcy Fort omitted.

As much as people tried to will it over the line, Parfitt for Kolo is nothing close to a straight swap. If he was declared unfit to play they may have considered shuffling things around. Even then it would be a bit like Stanley getting injured and bringing Menegola in.

We can't afford to go in undersized against Brisbane's forward line and Blicavs to defence is mostly a 2018-2019 kinda move. How often do they do it anymore?

As much as people tried to will it over the line, Parfitt for Kolo is nothing close to a straight swap. If he was declared unfit to play they may have considered shuffling things around. Even then it would be a bit like Stanley getting injured and bringing Menegola in.

We can't afford to go in undersized against Brisbane's forward line and Blicavs to defence is mostly a 2018-2019 kinda move. How often do they do it anymore?

Will be interesting if we get through this game, Kolo has another 'mare and we face the Pies with a smaller forward group whether there is a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back