Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Again, you assume Holgate was naive to O’Donnell’s and Wilson’s membership status, that the process didn’t identify it as an issue, that given the capacity within the constitution to waive that requirement then charged on regardless.

How it was handled however…. But do we know who made those calls?

Fair points 👍

However the board are the representatives of the members, and if a board member doesn’t have voting rights (Eg: due to ex-officio status) then it should be declared to the members. It wasn’t. Who should we hold responsible for that: The President? The Chairwoman of the appointment committee? The board collectively?

I think my points (3) and (4) still stand regardless.

Reading between the lines from Browne’s interview tonight I think JDG will be back training at Collingwood sone stage in January

I’d have thought that would have been the aim all along barring an unexpected court outcome.

Fair points 👍

However the board are the representatives of the members, and if a board member doesn’t have voting rights (Eg: due to ex-officio status) then it should be declared to the members. It wasn’t. Who should we hold responsible for that: The President? The Chairwoman of the appointment committee? The board collectively?

I think my points (3) and (4) still stand regardless.

I’ve already agreed that it was poorly handled. Just not sure who that falls on. Likely the entire board.

Out of interest, just how many votes are taken at board meetings and what % would be split and would be beyond resolution without 1 vote. Given Wilson ultimately was in the same boat we were actually down to 5 voting board members anyway.

I spoke to Ned about this at the time. It was his first draft, the deal with Beams had been agreed to and he was told by Ed to get it done.

I don't think you realise the influence that Ed had around the place. Guys like Gubby and Geoff Walsh were appointed by him.
Things begun to change post the review, when Anderson was appointed and Ed was told he should stay away from appointing Lethlean because his mate Gil was trying to get him a job in club land.

I’ve never discounted Ed’s influence.

Out of interest, just how many votes are taken at board meetings and what % would be split and would be beyond resolution without 1 vote. Given Wilson ultimately was in the same boat we were actually down to 5 voting board members anyway.

Formally that get entered into the minutes? Not many apparently.

Heard some of the things the new President has said and I’m not impressed. Asking Eddie for advice and already getting involved in AFL things. Ffs just stay out of the media and run the club, we don’t need another attention seeking political wannabe.
Asking Eddie for advice 😥- Eddie incapable of merely giving advice - wonder what other Board members will think if Browne prefers Ed's "advice" to their input?

Asking Eddie for advice 😥- Eddie incapable of merely giving advice - wonder what other Board members will think if Browne prefers Ed's "advice" to their input?

The president is voted in by the board. If board members feel like they are being ignored, I know what I would do. From the interviews already given by browne, I think is not the type of person to act without confering with the people that he should confer with.

That being said, there is a whole range of matters that we at BF should speculate on before they occur. It's our job to speculate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IIRC one of the (unsuccessful) board nominees, Sal Perna, is / was on the integrity board for Basketball Australia?

That board would have been called into action recently over an integrity breach - an umpire shared video footage of a team training with an opposition coach. The owner of the team that had been disadvantaged seems to be critical about how the process was handled …

Done and dusted.
Too late to complain.
Ed was yesterday.
No point still whining.
Those who wanted a new board got it.
You cannot now complain it's not the one you specifically wanted.

All future complaints here....

1640150044396.jpeg

Done and dusted.
Too late to complain.
Ed was yesterday.
No point still whining.

View attachment 1300963
I’d just like to know the voting numbers. Club emailed to say they are not being released.

I reckon it’s as dodgy as hell.

Is it?

How many other elections can you recall that don’t release the votes?
They've given reasons - might be imperfect etc but to allege fraud as you seem to be doing is another step again.

They've given reasons - might be imperfect etc but to allege fraud as you seem to be doing is another step again.
Well, maybe they should just release the results.
It’s pretty standard stuff after an election.

I emailed the club to ask for the voting results. This is the reply I got…

“Unfortunately this information will not be released to the public. “

I voted in this election but can’t know the result.

Why???

Well, maybe they should just release the results.
It’s pretty standard stuff after an election.
Apparently some of the candidates weren't tough enough to cope with potentially low vote numbers - sensitive petals - not much use on a Board

Done and dusted.
Too late to complain.
Ed was yesterday.
No point still whining.

View attachment 1300963
What is the point of this comment? The election was 6 days ago and there's been plenty of discussion, including from you, in this thread since then.

A lot of people don't get the Government they vote for, they're still well within their rights to criticise just because the election didn't go the way they wanted to. Same goes here.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d just like to know the voting numbers. Club emailed to say they are not being released.

I reckon it’s as dodgy as hell.
Only because you feel that it may allow you to keep on about the Board.
Just assume the numbers are conclusively in favour of the victors.

No problem then is it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back