Preview Preview vs St Kilda, Saturday 22nd, 4:35PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

After an epic crapping of the bed prior to the bye, we're back in business against the (check notes) 11th team. Eleventh? How did that happen? Hmm wins against Gold Coast twice, Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne, and Carlton have given the Saints six wins - they are yet to beat someone with more wins than them, with two thirds of their wins coming against teams 16th to 18th.

Now that's not to write off how easier their draw has been given we just lost to 18th, but this is the week to see if that loss to Carlton was a complete invalidation of our season or just a stumble by a still relatively inexperienced team who needed the break. Given we've beaten 4th, 5th, and 9th, and only lost to 6th away by a point, it seems like our form line is significantly better than the Saints on the year despite only have one more win.

Ultimately it seems like this week will boil down to a simple stat - if we kick 80+, we've won every game. If we kick less than 80, we've lost every game. Funnily enough, the Saints have only kicked 80+ three times (once was 80 on the dot), so I think that will hold true this weekend too.

That stat then plays up the important of their defense. Their defensive six against Gold Coast was a bit of a no-name fest (guys I've heard of through Supercoach only) with Nathan Brown the only household name there and although I'd argue he's definitely underrated I haven't seen how his year has gone.

However St Kilda are looking to get some handy players back after the bye (although their website is only update to date as of either May 8 or 21, depending on which date you use from it, and has Carlisle as 4-6 weeks away for example - come on guys, professionalism! Help us poor preview writers out!) with Carlisle and Hannebery making it through VFL games on the weekend, with the latter definitely tipped to come in and I suspect the former would as well.

Carlisle is definitely a bigger in than Hannebery, who looked well and truly done in his last season at Sydney, averaging less than 20 disposals for the first time since his debut year. Carlisle will be the latest in our "let's see how many times we can kick the ball down their throats" encounters, though we've been better at mitigating it this year with McStay aiming to take out those players defensively.

We don't have the same luck (though we also don't have the same negative luck in terms of players out), and though Adams and Bailey might be back I'd expect both to come through the NEAFL this week.

Most of St Kilda's wins seem to be built off domination through the middle with Membrey their busiest forward (24 goals), followed by Bruce at 13 goals and then a handful of small forwards/mids, leaving them lacking the traditional forward (Riewoldt, Gehrig or Koschitzke) they'd built around in their peak years.

Matching up on Membrey will be nice (and I'm not sure we have an obvious candidate), but the middle is where our losses and St Kilda's wins have come from. As such it's going to be vital to neutralize Marshall who's having a decent year at both racking up hitouts (don't have HTA stats, sorry) and around the ground. Martin seems like he'd be poised to take advantage of that matchup with his experience in both areas, but playing Archie this week would play into St Kilda's hands. Oscar would at least provide a presence up forward to keep Brown/Carlisle honest.

On top of that, Billings is an obvious match winner when on but given the gift we gave Cripps I have no faith we'll try to do anything fancy there. Like previous games, if Neale, Lyons and McCluggage can get their hands to the ball first we should be well on our way - but a single dominant performance can be enough to neutralize that.

Neale is the key, where if St Kilda let him get off the chain I think our team will be too mature and well-structured for St Kilda but otherwise we could struggle. If we do struggle I hope we'll at least be able to fall over the line but the loss to Carlton has shaked that faith.

Lions by 20. If St Kilda struggled so hard against the Suns, I can't see them beating us when we're a much stronger team.

Hoping for Rayner to be rested and either Keays or a debutant to come in for him, and Archie out for Oscar.

YAY! Back to a normal week build up for us Lions supporting legends.

Simply a must win game for us IMO, looking at the remainder of our season I can't see us beating the Cats(H) or the Tigers(A) in the last 2 games so if we lose to the Saints that would mean we would have to win 6 of the remaining 7 games to guarantee a top 8 spot, too hard a task.

Outs- Cam Rayner, Archie Smith.

Ins- Ben Keays/Toby Wooller, Oscar McInerney.

Lions by 38.

Where's my tipping auto-response key, I forget....

Oh yeah, there it is!!!

LIONS BY 10 GOALS :D

It will happen one day, honest!! :p

must win ! cannot and will not accept another carlton type performance. we have trouble with the saints historically but its time to get over that and play to our ability

If we don't win this with the week's rest we probably don't deserve finals.

The race for the last few spots is heating up with all teams now competitive and likely to provide a few upsets , and teams like Freo ,the Dogs ,North , the Dons and even the Saints becoming more battle hardened.

So we have to win this match ,we had the experience at Marvel last week ,plenty of time to learn from that and get the right gameplan going. Must win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who sat through the rubbish we served up against Carlton is really looking for a change in personnel and coaching performance, starting at the selection table. We are way too slow and predictable out of defence (chip pass down the line, chip pass down the line, roost it to the wing, turn it over, opponents switch it inboard, storm back inside 50 and score - repeat).
Someone else posted this idea already, but we need to go back to the team we had in the first three rounds, with some tinkering.

Out: Robertson, Rayner, Taylor, Archie
In: Walker, Keays, Bastinac and Oscar.

Robertson and Taylor will be considered stiff, but Walker matches up better than Robertson and Bastinac is quicker and has a better tank than Taylor. Bastinac also had 38 disposals in the Ressies and gives us a better running option.

We do this and we WIN it at the selection table.

Anyone who sat through the rubbish we served up against Carlton is really looking for a change in personnel and coaching performance, starting at the selection table. We are way too slow and predictable out of defence (chip pass down the line, chip pass down the line, roost it to the wing, turn it over, opponents switch it inboard, storm back inside 50 and score - repeat).
Someone else posted this idea already, but we need to go back to the team we had in the first three rounds, with some tinkering.

Out: Robertson, Rayner, Taylor, Archie
In: Walker, Keays, Bastinac and Oscar.

Robertson and Taylor will be considered stiff, but Walker matches up better than Robertson and Bastinac is quicker and has a better tank than Taylor. Bastinac also had 38 disposals in the Ressies and gives us a better running option.

We do this and we WIN it at the selection table.
What do you think Dylan12 ?

Bastinac is quicker

Huh. I don't think I've ever noticed Bastinac as quicker than anyone.

Walker matches up better than Robertson

Also not sure that's true this week. Membrey is their main consistent avenue to goal and I'd back Robertson in on him defensively than Walker. Walker is better offensively but that doesn't seem to be what we're looking for if we're concerned about not having a winning score kicked on us. In this matchup we'll want our defence to shut down Membrey, and then let the others play off their man. Bruce has some goal kicking form in the past but I believe he's also been playing down back, so *shrug*.

Huh. I don't think I've ever noticed Bastinac as quicker than anyone.

Also not sure that's true this week. Membrey is their main consistent avenue to goal and I'd back Robertson in on him defensively than Walker. Walker is better offensively but that doesn't seem to be what we're looking for if we're concerned about not having a winning score kicked on us. In this matchup we'll want our defence to shut down Membrey, and then let the others play off their man. Bruce has some goal kicking form in the past but I believe he's also been playing down back, so *shrug*.
Walker is TOTALLY what we are looking for coming out of defence.

How ironic the two posters who were most vocal about the 'clique' back in the day have now formed their own. Like sands through the hourglass...
Over 50’s Clique has stacks of members.

Walker is TOTALLY what we are looking for coming out of defence.
Coming out of defence doesn't concern me. I'm more worried about going into defence.

Coming out of defence doesn't concern me. I'm more worried about going into defence.
Watch the highlights of the Port Adelaide game and his amazing intercept marking efforts.

That game Walker was our second highest ranked player behind Lachie Neale. Walker had 23 disposals and 19 Marks! That night he basicallty saved us when we were under siege in defence. He had 9 Contested possessions and 11 intercept possessions. We need him in the side and in that form. Apart from Harris Andrews, we dont have a defender who can go close to those sort of numbers. If Robertson had those stats there would be a move on Big Footy to give him the Keys to the City and while Darcy Gardiner is an elite shut down defender, I would rate Walker higher as a CHB.

We needed his skill in the air against Carlton.

What do you think Dylan12 ?
Not a bad idea.

Continuously playing Rayner can’t be a good thing for him personally and the message it sends to those toiling away in the reserves. I’d like to see Bastinac or Christensen brought in for Rayner.

Personally I’d like to see Walker back at the expense of Smith and to provide Martin a chop out and to tuck in the back half with McStay doing the ruck work inside the forward 50. I just don’t think we need two rucks at Docklands.

3KZ and D12 you need to take this thing you have going private and get a room.
We just agree on stuff. Plenty of others regularly agree on stuff. It's not a biggie.

Not a bad idea.

Continuously playing Rayner can’t be a good thing for him personally and the message it sends to those toiling away in the reserves. I’d like to see Bastinac or Christensen brought in for Rayner.

Personally I’d like to see Walker back at the expense of Smith and to provide Martin a chop out and to tuck in the back half with McStay doing the ruck work inside the forward 50. I just don’t think we need two rucks at Docklands.
I think Keays would be better at the Rayner role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back