Pune 2017 - Where does it rank?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
So where do people here rank Pune 2017 in Australian test victories?

I'm too young to remember use knocking off the Windies in 1995 so I'd have to say that personally this is the best test win by Australia I can remember.

It had everything. Strong Indian side that had gone 19 tests or whatever without a loss and had a great batting lineup and the two top ranked bowlers in the world, including the fastest man to 250 wickets.

Australia had a batting lineup with a decade of mediocrity away from home, especially against the spinners and had just lost 3-0 to an extremely weak Sri Lankan side and had 9 straight losses - all of them heavy in Asia and 9 straight losses in India itself.

Our media was anticipating defeat while the Indians were arrogant as * - and worse of all it felt that we had no way to refute them.

Our young 20 year old opener had the shits but held our innings together, our Captain Smith scored a great century and our hero with the ball was a much maligned bowler who had spent nearly a decade watching less credentialed players get picked ahead of him.

What a win.

How the * can Big Bash compare to this?

89', the 04 series win in India and the 5-0 Ashes revenge whitewash all come to mind.

This feels a lot sweater given it didn't involve any of the great sides (89' excluded), but that English team wasn't the #1 test team in the world seemingly invincible at home.

Best win since the Phillip Hughes Test in Adelaide a few years ago. A team that wasn't in great shape anyway, led by a captain seemingly at war with the board, playing under the shadow of a terrible tragedy, won a Test that coming into the last session all three results were possible.

1989 Aust side to England...it was labelled one of the worst to arrive by the English press.

They won 4-0 with 2 drawn. The series victory marked the beginning of a remarkable period of 16 years in which Australia would retain the Ashes over the course of 4 home and 3 away series until England eventually won them back in the 2005 Ashes series.

Australian team was in the middle of a slump. In the 11 Tests prior to the 1989 Ashes the Australians had 2 wins, 4 losses and 5 draws.

Mark Taylor, Geoff Marsh, Boon, Border and Steve Waugh. Alderman, Hughes and Lawson. Jones and Healy.

Handy side.

This win today is up there

Last edited:
Up there with some of the best Test win I seen as in terms of high.
Last Test victory this good was a surprise win in South Africa where they had 9 wickets left and already had a big lead and we come back and won. Was in the Healy, Mark Waugh, Punter era.
Probably the best win was beating West Indies at MCG in 1980 or 81. Just beating that great side was Mount Everest. This India not in same ballpark of that Windies side. For a Test match win to mean so much cannot top the one to have us finally top the West Indies in their own back yard in 1995 and beat them in a series. Nobody had beat them in a series for over two decades. Richie Richardson their captain of a Windies team in decline.

This rates with those in terms of no one predicted this. India creating pitches to suit their strength and our weakness against spin and some arrogance of some of their people did not understand our spinners could be just as damaging. Sensational to turn them on their head with some loud mouths saying 4 nil their way. This is a very sweet win in those circumstances.

When you have an oxygen thief like Harbhajan Singh label this team the worst Australian team to visit India, it makes this win incredibly special. I hope Harbhajan is extremely sad tonight!!!!!

I think it will depend on the rest of the series.

Fantastic win, but if we lose 1-3 it will be seen as a fluke.

True. If with lose 3 -1 it will mean very little in the end.
Make no mistake now, they will be rattled after this shock.
Got the makings of a great series as a fight.

It should be remembered even Allan Border got 13 wickets in a Test once. Sometimes the pitches of raging turners play into your hands under special circumstances. Lets not make this just a one off for O'Keefe. Will the Indians be scared to prepare another raging turner ?
If they do goto the same well again lets bring Swepson along for ride too. See how they like a bit of their own medicine. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on the criteria I think.

If we're talking about rising above mediocrity for a great upset win? Well, it's probably up there for the past 25 years, cos we haven't been mediocre for a hell of a lot of it.

If we're talking about fun and exciting tests though, I can think of a handful in front of it.

True. If with lose 3 -1 it will mean very little in the end.
Make no mistake now, they will be rattled after this shock.
Got the makings of a great series as a fight.

It should be remembered even Allan Border got 13 wickets in a Test once. Sometimes the pitches of raging turners play into your hands under special circumstances. Lets not make this just a one off for O'Keefe. Will the Indians be scared to prepare another raging turner ?
If they do goto the same well again lets bring Swepson along for ride too. See how they like a bit of their own medicine. :p

And hawani getting 16 wickets on a similar sort of wicket against the windies in 87 or so. Lots of that kind of thing has happened.

SOK has a pretty good first class record, bowling average of 22.9 mainly bowling in the shield where very few spinners succeed.

Lyons first class average is 37

I actually think SOK is now the better bowler, I thought that during the Sydney test and this test has confirmed it more so

He'd just offer a pressure release and a way for them to score runs and stay in the game.

No need to change the bowling line-up IMO.
bring A Agar in for M Marsh , two lefties going at all there right hander's
certainly bats as good ( even if he get 0 ) slight change to the tail
When NSW V WA shield game in Sydney this season okeefe got 8 wkts and Agar got 10 wks (.should have been more but NSW hang on for a draw 7/96)

Windies in 95 they were given more than a punchers chance. This match no one thought this team would win even the toss. I know I didn't think they would

We were certainly considered a better side in 95 than we were going into this test, but without McDermott we had a then fairly green pace attack of McGrath, Rieffel and Julian. We had warney too but it was the pace attack which did it for us, McGrath's coming of age series.

I rate that one of our most memorable series wins since I've been following cricket (from 1990).

That, India 2004 and our many wins in South Africa too.

In terms of individual tests, this is certainly one of my favourites

Depends on the criteria I think.

If we're talking about rising above mediocrity for a great upset win? Well, it's probably up there for the past 25 years, cos we haven't been mediocre for a hell of a lot of it.

If we're talking about fun and exciting tests though, I can think of a handful in front of it.
Beat me to it; probably the most unexpected win in a long time but not the best.

Windies in 95 they were given more than a punchers chance. This match no one thought this team would win even the toss. I know I didn't think they would
Disagree, the changing of the guard had been on for a while. We were definitely seen as a chance to knock them off and doing so away from home confirmed us as the best team in the world. Still a difficult and great win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back