Queensland clubs - What the hell happened?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I was at work today, unable to look at the trades going on but I just got home 15 minutes or so ago, eagerly go to look at the trade tracker on the AFL website and I immediately notice that the Queensland clubs have been bent over and opened up with forceps.

Brisbane had a pick 2 player from less than 2 years ago in Schache go to the Bulldogs for pick 25 and 40 and they completely caved and gave Adelaide pick 12 for Cameron when pick 20 was probably overs for him.

Then with Gold Coast they gift wrapped pick 2 for Lachie Weller, a player who looks like he is going to be a solid B player but nothing more than that. Gold Coast could have had a gun at that pick, and gotten Weller next year when his contract was up, instead, even though they had a machine gun and their enemy had a rock they raised their hands and immediately surrendered.

So, Queensland clubs, have your clubs officials lost all pride and are willing to let other clubs do whatever they want to you, or are they (your officials) just incompetent?

I think it more the fact they need players they know won't leave in a few years time. Therefore will overpay and in the Weller scenario extremely overpay. So that they can build a core group of committed players. Also the players they targeted were still on contract so couldn't use the leverage of say a PSD.
They simply can't keep drafting high picks and losing them in 2 years time as forever rebuilding.

I was at work today, unable to look at the trades going on but I just got home 15 minutes or so ago, eagerly go to look at the trade tracker on the AFL website and I immediately notice that the Queensland clubs have been bent over and opened up with forceps.

Brisbane had a pick 2 player from less than 2 years ago in Schache go to the Bulldogs for pick 25 and 40 and they completely caved and gave Adelaide pick 12 for Cameron when pick 20 was probably overs for him.

Then with Gold Coast they gift wrapped pick 2 for Lachie Weller, a player who looks like he is going to be a solid B player but nothing more than that. Gold Coast could have had a gun at that pick, and gotten Weller next year when his contract was up, instead, even though they had a machine gun and their enemy had a rock they raised their hands and immediately surrendered.

So, Queensland clubs, have your clubs officials lost all pride and are willing to let other clubs do whatever they want to you, or are they (your officials) just incompetent?

QLD clubs are bleeding talent.

Schache, Docherty, Longer, Yeo from Brisbane
Jaeger, Prestia, ? on Lynch from GCS.

Getting players to want to go there is big for them and paying high draft picks for them when the talent that will be at that pick is questionable on staying more than 2 years makes sense.

Weller for 2/Cameron for 12, or you hold out and miss them this year, end up having to deal next year and risk the kids you draft wanting out not long after

They need to play the long game.

The comp is stacked heavily against them.

They lose players because of ladder position, but also due to locale and the state generates few players which are localised to the academies.

Consider Brisbane lost Schache, who actually wanted to be drafted by the club.

It's tough being both smaller non-Vic markets and non-traditional AFL states.

I honestly think the AFL should temporarily lift both clubs salary caps and subsidise off field recruitment.

Most trades for picks looked like they overpaid. Suggests this draft isn't rated very well
That only works in Cameron's case. In terms of Weller, pick 2 in this draft will unlock LDU or Rayner who are both very good. As for Schache, a former pick 2 going for chips in a rubbish draft speaks for itself.

Maybe silver lining is that it will support Brisbane's case for a priority pick.

That only works in Cameron's case. In terms of Weller, pick 2 in this draft will unlock LDU or Rayner who are both very good. As for Schache, a former pick 2 going for chips in a rubbish draft speaks for itself.

Maybe silver lining is that it will support Brisbane's case for a priority pick.

Unfortunately not this year though. Brisbane really deserve a priority pick as they have had so much talent just walk out the door for almost nothing.

Cameron was expensive because he was contracted. You can't blame Brisbane for overpaying because they don't often have players wanting to go up there. This is partly because both QLD teams are struggling and also maybe because there is just less AFL talent from there in the first place. They need to do these deals when they become available.

There also seems to be a misconception that draft picks have the same value every year. If club recruiters don't rate this years draft, they would have allowed their list managers to be way less conservative with the picks.

If you look at the Gibbs trade, it's definitely overs by some margin but how much exactly is hard to know. If Adelaide's recruitment don't rate this draft and they turn out to be correct, the Gibbs deal won't look so bad in the long run. Same logic applies to the Cameron deal with Brissy.

Wtf happened with gcs? Didn't they trade 4 second rounders for eagles future first so they could get Weller? Then they give up pick 2.

Now they only have one 1 in the top 40 (19). Ended up with Weller and young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The comp is stacked heavily against them.

They lose players because of ladder position, but also due to locale and the state generates few players which are localised to the academies.

Consider Brisbane lost Schache, who actually wanted to be drafted by the club.

It's tough being both smaller non-Vic markets and non-traditional AFL states.

I honestly think the AFL should temporarily lift both clubs salary caps and subsidise off field recruitment.

Pretty much this.

Clark, Rich, Mayes & Leuenberger are the only Top 20 pick players to stay beyond three years since the 3 peat for us.

It's really though. A lot of our pain was self induced, but the last few years have shown it's just not a Lions-specific issue.

Weller is going to be way more than a solid B-grader. Yes the cards weren't played perfectly (assurance from GC to Weller that he'd get there, then with that being publicised), but I felt they could have stood their ground with Weller saying he would be there next year anyway. Still though, I feel getting WC 2018 first rounder to try do that deal may end up going pretty well (could be a top 10 pick) so may work out yet. And they did flood their list with Ainsworth, Brodie, Scrimshaw and Bowes last year - add Weller and probably 2 top 10 picks next year and they end up with 7 'top 10 rated' players over 3 drafts.

Brisbane s**t the bed on Charlie, thought once Adelaide got Gibbs they would have seen Charlie off for pick 18 but nope. And Schache I dare say is not something to criticise Brisbane on as I believe there'd have to be fairly out-of-the-ordinary circumstances in play there.

Priority pick already denied and Gil is happy with the state of football in QLD

There has to be something missing re: Schache. No way should he be let go that easily. Only way that makes sense is if it was going to be another McCarthy situation.

Weller was definitely 100% panic. GC clearly wanted some good news given how many players they're shedding so bent over to do the deal rather than look at it logically and wait a year. From what I've seen re: Weller he'll be a player but I can't see him being worth #2 (though if the guy they wanted at #2 was gonna walk anyway then it might be worth it)

Cameron seems to be a case of "overpay because he actually wants to be there". Should've just waited until next year where they could get him cheaper. The draft for the first round at least is meant to be good.

absolutely ridiculous and I'm absolutely distraught with what both clubs did

only argument you can make is they wanted to make sure Lynch would stay next year only way they do that is with improved performance, only way to get that is to get players in now who would improve performance

schache surely there was a chance he would retire early otherwise why do tht trade, yes we don't need him and he wuld more than likely be a bust but still ridiculous

Cameron trade is outragerous we shoulda waited unless it was all a money grab and we knew it therefore decided get him now

Imo it's unfair to single out Queensland - lots of other clubs got shafted, paid overs, or failed to fire a single shot this trade period (Collingwood, North and Hawthorn all come to mind), but no one's calling their list managers incompetent.

In the bigger picture, I don't think either club did that badly, although they could have done better. Gold Coast took four top ten picks last year (all of whom have already extended their contracts), so they could afford to give up pick 2 this year for a talented kid who actually wanted to be there, plus they bought in much-needed depth in Young and Wigg. Next year's first for a bunch of second rounders is a gamble, but West Coast are likely to slide, next year's draft is tipped to be better, and it's not like they'd get to play all of their second rounders in 2018 anyway. The Ablett trade was pretty s**t, but Ablett's behaviour forced their hand and limited their options.

Brisbane paid overs for Cameron, but we got a best 22 player who fills an immediate need and still have 3 first picks in the first 20, plus the 4 kids in the top 25 we took last year. Hodge is an obvious choice. An end of first round pick for Rockliff seemed fair until the Motlop pick, which is hard to judge since we have no clue how the compensation formula really works. Besides, Rockliff will be 31 in 2021 (the final year of his deal), and has had a lot of recent setbacks with injury which will limit his durability - by then, Hipwood, Andrews, McCluggage, Berry, Witherden etc will all be looking at contract increases and I'd rather be spending the money on them, so it wasn't in our interests to match. And Schache was a unique case - we got shafted in terms of value but I'm okay with my club doing the right thing by a kid who was clearly struggling mentally.

Shambles in comparison with the Sydney clubs, but that's partly a function of the afl prioritising sydney over southeast qld. All four clubs have to deal with the same problems, but Sydney + GWS have both been given greater assistance in recent years, allowing them to absorb player losses and * ups like the Tippett contract.
It's Queensland. Enough said.
See, everyone says this but the reality is that there's not much difference between brisbane and the other east coast capital cities aside from reputation.

Priority pick already denied and Gil is happy with the state of football in QLD
next year you might get a decent pp rather than this pick 19 rubbish, or some kind of salary cap concession.

brisbane being terrible was funny for the first few years but things are starting to get serious

Remove this Banner Ad

Back