Preview R2: Changes v GWS: Dawes, Vince in for Toumpas, JKH

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait are you telling me Paul Roos doesn't check Bigfooty before heading into the selection committee??
I meant Melbourne choosing Dawes to take the first defender

Oh JKH definitely had a better game than Toump, but Toump needs an extended run in the side. I don't see the point of playing a guy as the sub then dropping him the next week. If we drop Toump I hope we make him earn his spot back in the VFL THEN give him an extended run, just don't want us to drop him every second game because that really ****s up a players development (It isn't footy but see Mitch Starc in test cricket).
Sam Blease would be able to shed some light on this...well maybe he wouldn't be able to actually. I reckon he still wouldn't know why. I know I dont.

Why does Toumpas get that extended run in the 22 to find form, whilst the others have to rot at Casey to do just that?

Toumpas was 22nd selected for the weekend, and we have better players now available. He'll go back to Casey and have to prove himself there in order to get back into the side.

We have turned over 22 players in two offseasons. There will be another six or so this year.
Getting a game on reputation, or because your young and we need to get games into you, are long gone theories.
It looks like we will pick the best side to win the game, taking in opponent strength/weekness.
Halleluyah!!!

I don't know much about the Giants backline, but with Davis and Patfull as the two key talls I would expect Davis at FB and Patfull further from goal at CHB. I'm sure both will spend time on Hogan and Dawes.

Surely they're not playing Patfull as CHB? Not that he can't do it, but the whole point of bringing in someone like him is so he can smash the 3rd tall and chip in 2nd man up on someone who can play a bit.

Surely they're not playing Patfull as CHB? Not that he can't do it, but the whole point of bringing in someone like him is so he can smash the 3rd tall and chip in 2nd man up on someone who can play a bit.
Yeah I think the problem is that Mohr is injured. As I said I don't know much about it, I believe Corr is a tall defender too but he's a young player. Haynes might play hbf too.

A true in and under player

AFL+Rd+1+Western+Bulldogs+v+Collingwood+wdNBRr5p1xml.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit worried about the ruck contests. Jamar was good last week, but I rate Mumford very highly and where Smith couldn't match big Rush for strength last week Mumford will have that covered. With the quality of their midfield, we can't have them getting first use repetitively.

If we can contain Cameron will go along way to winning it for us. Whichever of McDonald or Dunn doesn't go to Cameron should account for McCarthy fairly comfortably (despite the opposite being said on the Giants board).

Tipping a contested, low scoring game

I'm going to sound a bit like Robert Walls here but maybe we should drop Frost for Dawes and let Watts be ruck relief. He's got a good leap and it will only help him test out his body strength. Plus that tap down in the goal square was a thing of beauty.

No, just no. Terrible, terrible idea. We've spent the last 7 years trying to find Watts ideal place in the side, we've found it as the third roaming tall which will be even better once Dawes and Hogan are in the same side, Watts has struggled with being a no.1 key forward his whole career and you won't to throw him in the ruck? Will not happen.

Listening to Roosy yesterday Dawes and Vince will play, Toump is definitely one of the outs and i suspect either kent or JKH the other exclusion, none of them did nothing wrong but Dawes and Vince are in our best 22.

I don't want to see JKH left out, the beauty of having him and Garlett was that wherever the ball landed inside 50 one of them was generally there, and Kent was able to roam further up the ground, I liked the combination of all three.

Vince for Toumpas is a gimme, Dawes probably should come in and that's where it's difficult. Frost seems the reluctant choice but then we have no obvious 2nd ruck.

So the latest IM hearing is that Toumpas is out for Vince.

Then they are considering dropping/resting one of Kent or JKH for Dawes.
I hope that's not how it goes re resting JKH or Kent... Both those guys want to play the ball quickly which makes us much more dynamic offensively. Dawes definitely does not make us more dynamic.
I think a big part of our improvement this year has been the injection of guys with pace and/or who want to take the game on ie Lamumba, Kent and Frost. Hogan is always looking to move the ball quickly too. We have just been way too easy to play against in the past when we would take a mark, hold on to the ball, go back and then kick over the mark. Lambs to the slaughter for AFL quality opposition. Different story this year though :)

I hope that's not how it goes re resting JKH or Kent... Both those guys want to play the ball quickly which makes us much more dynamic offensively. Dawes definitely does not make us more dynamic.
I think a big part of our improvement this year has been the injection of guys with pace and/or who want to take the game on ie Lamumba, Kent and Frost. Hogan is always looking to move the ball quickly too. We have just been way too easy to play against in the past when we would take a mark, hold on to the ball, go back and then kick over the mark. Lambs to the slaughter for AFL quality opposition. Different story this year though :)

I was surprised to hear the discussion was around Kent/JKH rather than Frost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back