Preview R6: Carlton v Bulldogs Sun 12th July 6.45PM @ Metricon - Team - Post #937

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he did in the post season draft. Did you expect him to have a high hit rate with effective pick 90 and if you do you might be better referring to Tom Williamson. Gibbons is a good get at the pick but Carlton shouldn't have to rely on him as a prime midfielder.

Why not? Who cares where players are drafted if you can find some gold

And who the * has suggested he is a prime midfielder?

Why is it a poor draft? Because 3 20 year old players haven't yet cemented themselves at AFL level?

The same people who want to throw players into the team at an early age before they have been the developed are prepared to call 20-year-olds out as failures.

Why is it a poor draft? Because 3 20 year old players haven't yet cemented themselves at AFL level?

People need to stop pointing the finger at the kids. These guys need time, and as we see with Cuningham, some take longer then others. Let them grow.

Our issues are elsewhere and these need to be addressed before we kill this rebuild and kids.

Need to respond against the dogs. Saints belted us and skill errors in key moments crushed our momentum and gave them some freebies which stopped us from stealing a win. Dogs will probably win the disposal count so need to up the pressure around the ball and also stop them from slingshotting from half back with their runners and good ball users. Players should be judged on their tackling and pressure this week more than usual.

The same people who want to throw players into the team at an early age before they have been the developed are prepared to call 20-year-olds out as failures.
people have their god-given right to be stupid - I just wish they wouldn't always sit in the same row as me at the game............not you HBF ..........

This has been my criticism of Murphy too. When you have senior players that are conditional it doesn’t set the right example for the rest of the team, despite having the likes of Cripps, Doc, Simmo running around.

People can insert whatever excuses they like and yes he’s been a bloody good player for us over the journey, but it’s hard to impose values on the rest of the group that your senior leaders don’t live themselves.
Spot on, the young blokes see that and think oh well if he doesn't have to go maybe I don't. Our pressure is atrocious and our tackling is shithouse

Team by position:

Docherty Jones McGovern
Newnes Weitering Williamson

Walsh Setterfield Murphy
Pittonet Cripps Cuningham

Martin McKay JSOS
Betts Casboult Fisher

Ed (mid) O'brien (mid) SPS (def) Gibbons (fwd)

I guess it comes back to expectations

Do you want a side structured for the future, or a win at all costs in the now.

I don't think Philip was in our worst
Who would come in that's not seen as our future? Philp is years away from any reliance.

Your biase has you blinded

If you think 2 players were the catalyst for how we played tonight you are delusional

Direct your angst towards the coaches box for that 1st half gameplan/tactics, trying to go head to head, rather than the balance of tempo footy when needed

We got hurt on the spread with a lack of numbers to the outside, as players were drawn in too far

Bringing extra numbers to the fall of the ball is what helped us over the last 2 weeks, yet this week, we didn't impact the contest, allowing easy passage for the opposition to the outside once they released
I'll agree that we weren't positioning people at the packs properly, but we were also sagging off too much for most of the game caught between pressing their ball carrier and trying to cover the 15-25m options.

Cats, Saints, Tigers and North have exploited us (and other sides) on this for years when they've had the personnel and inclination to do so, and we seem to forget about addressing it tactically every so often.

O'Brien would have helped with a little energy in the midfield phases of all this, while Fisher would have nailed what Gibbons fluffed, which would have resulted in two regulation shots on goal. Imagine us going into the final quarter with less than a kick in it.

Then there's the matter of what all Gibbons' pressure acts actually amount to in terms of perceived pressure by the opposition, and what Gibbons' coverage on the field means when he actually gets to a contest. Do they record the number of times where a player runs into his own team mates as they're trying to gather the ball? He's elite at that too.

It's subtle, but Gibbons playing that way makes him a coach killer. We're all familiar with the concept of someone being too desperate.

A lot of the issue in the St Kilda match as I saw it was that our forwards were not presenting for our kicks out of half back or the wing, and we had poor disposal. We missed JSOS for this, but got little out of Gov, Harry and Cas for this part of the game.

Players stuff second ...

Noting what I say about the forwards above, I think Gibbons is good. Getting plenty of it. Maybe Jimmae is looking at Gibbons and not at the forwards.
Strongly disagree with this. Two of Gibbons' inside 50s were blind kicks that resulted in a direct turnover and another where the ball spilled out and was swept up the ground.

The forwards were presenting up the ground all night, while Gibbons (and others) were ******* up the link work. Got to the point where they were all on the wing, and we had to run it through.

We need a bigger body in the midfield to support Cripps.

In: Kennedy, O'Brien
Out: Gibbons, Philp

B: Plowman-----------------Jones-----------------Williamson

H: Docherty---------------Weitering---------------Simpson

C: Newnes------------------Cripps-----------------O'Brien

H: Cuningham--------------McKay-----------------Martin

F: Betts--------------------McGovern--------------Murphy

Foll: Pittonet, Setterfield, Kennedy

Bench: E.Curnow, SPS, Walsh, Casboult

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll agree that we weren't positioning people at the packs properly, but we were also sagging off too much for most of the game caught between pressing their ball carrier and trying to cover the 15-25m options.

Cats, Saints, Tigers and North have exploited us (and other sides) on this for years when they've had the personnel and inclination to do so, and we seem to forget about addressing it tactically every so often.

O'Brien would have helped with a little energy in the midfield phases of all this, while Fisher would have nailed what Gibbons fluffed, which would have resulted in two regulation shots on goal. Imagine us going into the final quarter with less than a kick in it.

Then there's the matter of what all Gibbons' pressure acts actually amount to in terms of perceived pressure by the opposition, and what Gibbons' coverage on the field means when he actually gets to a contest. Do they record the number of times where a player runs into his own team mates as they're trying to gather the ball? He's elite at that too.

It's subtle, but Gibbons playing that way makes him a coach killer. We're all familiar with the concept of someone being too desperate.

Strongly disagree with this. Two of Gibbons' inside 50s were blind kicks that resulted in a direct turnover and another where the ball spilled out and was swept up the ground.

The forwards were presenting up the ground all night, while Gibbons (and others) were ******* up the link work. Got to the point where they were all on the wing, and we had to run it through.

Jim I suggest you rewatch the game, as I believe your bias has clouded your judgment ( you are not alone)

Gibbons went at 82% DE, had only 1 turnover, was only 1 of 5 players to have a goal assist, had only 1 clanger, 13 other players had more clangers and was one of the players that helped us get back in the game

At one stage when the ball was in dispute in our forward line, he cleanly picks up ball in traffic then calmly threaded it back through traffic, on his left hand, to an open Setters, who slots his 2nd goal

As for his 13 pressure acts, you know too well that helps cause turnovers, slows ball movement for opposition spread, which allows teammates to close the gap if they are working hard enough

He also covered more ground than any other Carlton player and was 3rd overall, slightly behind Lonnie and Clark

I am confident Gibbons will stay in the side and it's warranted

Last edited:
Need to respond against the dogs. Saints belted us and skill errors in key moments crushed our momentum and gave them some freebies which stopped us from stealing a win. Dogs will probably win the disposal count so need to up the pressure around the ball and also stop them from slingshotting from half back with their runners and good ball users. Players should be judged on their tackling and pressure this week more than usual.

You'd like to think we'd respond next weekend with a good first quarter. Having said this. this should be the case every week and just for when we have these slow starts.

people have their god-given right to be stupid - I just wish they wouldn't always sit in the same row as me at the game............not you HBF ..........

Its amazing isn't it. Every week we have to move.

Jim I suggest you rewatch the game, as I believe you biase has clouded your judgment

Gibbons went at 82% DE, had only 1 turnover, was only 1 of 5 players to have a goal assist, had only 1 clanger, 13 other players had more clangers and was one of the players that helped us get back in the game

At one stage when the ball was in dispute in our forward line, he cleanly picks up ball in traffic then calmly threaded it back through traffic, on his left hand, to an open Setters, who slots his 2nd goal

As for his 13 pressure acts, you know too well that helps cause turnovers, slows ball movement for opposition spread, which allows teammates to close the gap if they are working hard enough

He also covered more ground than any other Carlton player and was 3rd overall, slightly behind Lonnie and Clark

I am confident Gibbons will stay in the side and it's warranted

biase -
A guy that you didn't expect to fall in love with.
He's the guy that came into your life when you least expected it and now you couldn't even imagine your life without him.

Has there been a change of spelling to the word bias recently, or is that just how you feel? :)

grammar police, when in doubt

No grammar police. It was just a bit funny (?) in context.
I actually had to look it up as I thought I'd missed something.

Dogs looked good last night.
Was worried about how to stop the Saints run and vigour before Thursdays game and not sure how we're going to counter The Dogs either.
Speed is good but speed of mind can be just as good. Just not sure we have that going yet as it shows up in fits and starts.

No grammar police. It was just a bit funny (?) in context.
I actually had to look it up as I thought I'd missed something.

Dogs looked good last night.
Was worried about how to stop the Saints run and vigour before Thursdays game and not sure how we're going to counter The Dogs either.
Speed is good but speed of mind can be just as good. Just not sure we have that going yet as it shows up in fits and starts.

Our work rate and speed overall matched the Saints, although they worked a lot harder defensively in both categories.

Seems the stats back up what I was concerned about, players working harder when we have the ball, rather than when we don't

Also tells me our positioning/setups and tactics need tweaking, but it is improving over the last 12 months

Yep...Murphy should be embarrassed by his lack of commitment just prior to martin's attack and commitment that led to setters second goal....one way runner

Yep, Jack really showed Murph how to attack that contest. Murph would know what has to be done in these situations. Its a choice that a player has to make and it wasn't a great look. I don't mind Murph playing in space up and down the wings floating back and forward for the majority of games but for the sake of the team he has to attack the contest when its his turn, like he did against Essendon last week. It can be the difference between winning and losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back