Preview R6: Carlton v Bulldogs Sun 12th July 6.45PM @ Metricon - Team - Post #937

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McGov needs a spell for mine...and that's not because he just had a bad week last week...he has consistently been a 4 bad weeks, 1 good (admittedly great) week player...what's more disturbing is that in the 4 bad weeks he is non-existent or worse yet makes clear errors that cost the team...that 'bump' he laid last week instead of tackling was complete laziness, and he does it all the time (I wouldn't pot 1 bad act like that)...

...he needs a message that this isn't good enough - that off days are fine but he needs to find a way to do 'something' to better the team even on those off days - crash packs, lay a big tackle, put some pressure on, make his presence felt...

JSOS may not have as much 'upside' as Gov (as in Gov at his best is probably better than JSOS at his best) but JSOS is far more consistent in his effort...that would be my change this week...

Would love a consistent Gov in the team, and something needs to be done to get more out of him more often..

Where'd you hear this?

Can’t remember exactly, but I know that Eddie spoke openly about having reservations about going. I swear I heard that Murph was on the fence as well, but it now appears all have gone to Qld which is fantastic for us. At least we have all available players up there.

Can’t remember exactly, but I know that Eddie spoke openly about having reservations about going. I swear I heard that Murph was on the fence as well, but it now appears all have gone to Qld which is fantastic for us. At least we have all available players up there.

IMG_0809.JPG

This is the quote from Eddie.

The Qld govt is allowing families to come up which may be the reason for the change.

McGov needs a spell for mine...and that's not because he just had a bad week last week...he has consistently been a 4 bad weeks, 1 good (admittedly great) week player...what's more disturbing is that in the 4 bad weeks he is non-existent or worse yet makes clear errors that cost the team..

Not reflective of this year

You're kidding, right? One of the most skilfull? He's an uncontested player who is going at 66% this year.
Who cares what side of the body he goes on?

This isn't 'hate'. He's been going ok. But he's not in our best side.

Comfortably in our best side...and would be even more comfortably in our best side if played in his natural position
But will agree to disagree

Exactly we have given Newnes 5 weeks to show something and by and large he hasn't, LOB has reportedly done everything asked of him in the 2's - time to see if he can give us more than what Newnes has. If it doesn't work we can either go back to Newnes or find a third option.

I'd say Newnes has done exactly what he was recruited to do - provide a senior body/mind, and make LOB earn his spot.

I think he is injured/sore mondy

His no where near where he was last year
I think Harrys kicking for goal is affecting his want for the ball and something needs to change, Sav has to be brought back ASAP to work with him so he is confident in his kicking, if he gets that right I think we will see the Harry from last year when he wanted the ball and was working hard and marking everything.

The game against the saints was not as bad as we have judged it. We had a bad day. Cripps doc pit sps gov Harry Cas Newnes Phillips Eddie cunners and others there worst game for the year, some bad early umpiring calls and we loose by 3goals.I think we have to look at the bigger picture and start planning ahead. Is Newnes in our best side going forward is phillip, do we keep playing sps back do we move willo to the wing so many questions. The funny thing is we had the highest loosing score on the weekend and we played like crap. My opinion is the backs and on ballers are doing OK is the forward line that is not gelling consistently. Can we continue to play 3 talls in the forward line. Is it time to bring back lob, dow or Stocker. On output Harry and gov should be dropped maybe even betts and cunners, I know he had a good one two weeks ago but is that enough. I would drop Newnes and Phillip and bring in lob and Stocker, maybe even gov and bring in bam bam time to change it up. Before everyone gets into me I luv all Carlton players I just thi kits time to experiment and if it does not work try someting else u know the saying if u keep doing the same thing. Do the players I want out need another chance of course they do the same as the players I want in
Like it or not at least it's my opinion
Loved it.
But it is Philp. ;) 💙

Yeh that's the conundrum try and make finals to build a belief. Or put games into the youth for future success. Would not like to be in the position to make that call.
It can’t be one or the other it has to be a balance between the two, enough senior heads to really compete with a healthy sprinkling of youth in non critical positions which I think we are starting to find a balance of sorts it just needs some tinkering which is what this year is about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say Newnes has done exactly what he was recruited to do - provide a senior body/mind, and make LOB earn his spot.
And here I was thinking he was recruited to lay tackles, get possessions and kick goals. If all they wanted was a mature body and mind I could have parked myself out on a wing for them.

Can't believe the short memories of people around here.

I guess that's a sign that we're getting somewhere when an 18 point loss against a pretty good team on their home deck causes everyone to call for blowing apart the rebuild
Exactly why I’ve tried to stay away for most of the week, predictable.

There's two Western Bulldogs. The first is a tentative, error ridden team, one that can look lazy and as though they lack effort. They've good players, but those players are incapable of being the difference in winning or losing; the second tier looks substandard, and the bottom 6 look barely AFL capable. They'll play for free kicks, but the game will be so far against them that the umps will ignore it. People will wonder if the Bont is down, when his stats will look pretty much the same. Someone will be sitting on JJ, and their KPF's won't hold a mark nor will they kick straight if they do. You'll beat them in the middle, and you'll beat them up forward.

The other is a brutal midfield, whose precision handpasses(throws) are so fast and deliberate you cannot hope to tackle them in time to stop them. Naughton, Bruce and Schache will take and hold their marks, or bring it to ground for their talented fleet of small midfielder forwards, all of whom are capable on the snap or overhead. The biggest difference is the pressure they bring to bear, and the way that pressure seems to augment their best players. Pressure creates turnovers, as we all know, but Bontempelli's performances become more pivotal, more meaningful, with the addition of his teammates putting themselves into the contest. JJ looks faster, his kicks more penetrating. Wallis, Dunkley, Smith (who is having a terrific season), Macrae, Richards, Libba; all are capable in/out midfielders, all can score when forward.

What determines which team turns up is generally whether Beverage is trying something. He experiments, tinkering at the edges of things, and it disheartens his team. He does this almost constantly. They started the season in the first setting, and they flick that switch seemingly almost at complete random. They have played some horrendous footy this year, but that switch was flicked in round 3, by some muppet at GWS who thought roughing them up would do anything more than wake them up. It was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on a footy field in a while; you don't poke the sleeping dragon, you sneak around it and pinch the treasure before it wakes up. Sheer foolishness and hubris.

Essentially, the result of this game - unlike the previous 3 - isn't whether we turn up, but them. If the first dogs turns up, we genuinely have a chance, especially away from Melbourne. We will still need to play well, but the change of state could be what it takes to lull them to sleep again. We need to be up and raring for winning the ball, but we should always be wary. We don't want to wake them up if they fall asleep again. If the second dogs turn up, we can still win, but it would take our absolute best to do it.

I'm going to pick us; they've been up for a few weeks, and this is a bipolar opposition who are very difficult to get a read on. We've been better than our win/loss ratio, and we should start to show it. I am not confident of this, but I'll be interested to see how this one pans out.

Carlton by 2 goals.
Nailed it on Bevo he absolutely crueled them in there premiership defence year with his chopping and changing of personnel on the slightest whim, let’s hope he’s feeling frisky this week and rings in the changes and totally wrong foots his players once again. Great post Geth.

Maybe someone with a bit of clout should get in front of a camera and talk about what a blight on the game it is to have players throwing instead of handballing. If we can convince the umps to make that the "rule of the week" we should belt the Dogs.

After last weekend, I don't really care if we win or lose as long as it feels like the game was adjudicated well and fairly. I felt cheated on Thursday night, we copped a bunch of stiff decisions early which allowed St Kilda to get on top, and we never really recovered. Free kick count was evened out, as it often is, but ours were rarely impactful (ie. down-field free kick when the marking player was uncontested anyway). Feel like our players felt like they were up against the umpires from very early in the piece, and it affected the way they played.
Yeah the umpiring in that game was horrendous, I know Thy will jump all over this but some of the decisions were just plain horrible and as you say the evening up of the frees in no way helped us the way the ones to them did.

Will Schache even play?
Injuries to Schache weren't in my consideration.
Why wouldn't he? Bevo was quite positive about him after the game. He was a big reason why Bruce was able to kick the 6 goals, as he was constantly drawing defenders away and got involved in a number of scoring chains (including a GA). Bevo has made some baffling selections this year, but dropping Schache would be next level

Did our full squad go to the hub?
Heard rumblings Betts & Murphy May have opted out due to their young families.

Where'd you hear this?

They are both up at the GC.

Source - Murphy's wife on Insta & today's training pics.

Why wouldn't he? Bevo was quite positive about him after the game. He was a big reason why Bruce was able to kick the 6 goals, as he was constantly drawing defenders away and got involved in a number of scoring chains (including a GA). Bevo has made some baffling selections this year, but dropping Schache would be next level
Because Schache isn't very good imo. He's a good kick outside of that I don't rate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back