Autopsy Rd 10 Comeback aborted - Blues go down by 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Willo is amazing. That one handed grab in the last was sublime. Get 50 games under his belt and he could be anything.

I agree. I think SPS has huge upside but I genuinely think Willo has just as much. Appears elite in so many categories already. Willo could be the best player out of the draft.

I'm not really sure where this has come from, though. Kerridge is 24 years old, wins the ball, plays tough. A year ago, we all thought Kerridge was the best thing since sliced bread. He dropped a bit at the end of the year, but still played 21 games. Now he can't get a look in?

His disposal isn't great, but neither is that of Curnow or Cripps in our midfield. I think his awareness is fine, certainly as good as plenty of our current youngsters. He's playing well, and our team balance is just better when he is there, as evidenced by our 2-0 record with him in the team (vs 1-10 without him).

Edit: just to add, our game style really negates poor disposal, too. We have a lot of short kicks to uncontested targets, and our inside mids generally just handball it to someone who can execute that style of kick. Cripps, Curnow etc have had their disposal look much better in this style, and it worked wonders for Hawthorn for a decade.
Mate, he's a ball butcher

I think it's been said before but our ball movement in the first quarter and some of the second was pathetic and at the ground I had real concerns for us if we were going to continue to serve that up.

We often started with 2 forwards from centre bounces allowing the 2 or 3 loose kangaroo defenders to stream into the centre square and create big numbers around the contest, also killing us on the spread.

When we got possession back we were forced to look back and lateral and it effects any chance of a quick break

After we tweaked that in the second half we were much more enjoyable to watch but we still lack a CHF.

CC is good but I don't see him as a CHF

MK is a colossus....Gibbs had one of his better games for the club

You're not going to win too many games when you give a 45 point start (not even if you are a bookie), but if you pull back such a deficit & take the lead, that shows great heart. Disappointing to lose in the end, but the boys gave us plenty to get excited about.

On any other day, a game like that which Kreuzer played today would get the maximum votes, but Gibbs took it to a whole new level. On days like today he is such a joy to watch. As for Kreuzer, if he has played a better game than today's game, I haven't seen it. Would be close to the form ruckman in the comp at the moment.

How about those green shoots today? I guess most of us have been waiting to see what Cunners brings to the table. My, he has some tricks & when he gets into space he really covers the ground quickly. Those 2 goals he kicked were like tracer bullets. He has got a powerful leg. Hopefully today will prove to be the day when Cunners gained the belief that he belongs at this level.

Charlie Curnow is so close to taking a game by the scruff of the neck. If he really wants it he can be Cripps & Bont rolled into one. I really don't think there is anything he can't do.

Now Samo & Fish didn't see a lot of the ball, but they still worked to stay involved. Samo continued to tackle & apply pressure even though it wasn't his day & Fish had a hand in a couple of goals & should have kicked one himself.

Cripps was back to his beastly best in the clearances & his work in space was a sight to behold. One thing though, I would really like to see him focus a bit more on ball security. A couple of his speculative handballs cost us dearly & he also bit off more than he could chew on 2 occasions, when he had a teammate in a better position.

Kudos to both Doc & Simmo, who after quiet starts, helped generate the drive which saw us get back into the game. Great to see Doc getting himself into positions to kick goals. He is definitely in AA form.

A pat on the back to both ASOS & Weiters with their respective jobs on Waite & Sideshow Ben. After Waite got an early goal, ASOS took him to the cleaners & we saw a reminder of the conditional Jarrad Waite we saw all too often at Carlton. Weiters looked like he was going to struggle early on against Brown & in fact I thought he looked a touch disinterested & beaten early on as the North blitzkrieg marched on. To his credit he stuck to his guns & much like Waite, Sideshow Ben had no influence on the game.

Finally, I would like to acknowledge Ed Curnow's work. His GPS for today's game would have made interesting reading, assuming it didn't blow up from being worked so hard. Ed provided so much run, grunt & pressure. His work rate was superior to anyone else on the ground.

There is still lots of work to do, but from what we are seeing from our under 23s, it is not going to be too long before we are winning these games more often that not. I reckon in 2 years' time we will be competitive with virtually any team in the competition.

Missed the first quarter and a bit. Tuned in half way through the 2nd quarter.

Was pretty wrapped with that come back. Could hardly go in with a younger side if we tried.

4 of last years draft were on display (Weiters, Charlie, SOS, Cunningham), only H Mac to come in.
4 of this years draft class were on display also (SPS, Fish, Willow and Macreadie) only Polson and Kerr missed out.

8 kids from the last 2 drafts playing? No other club can boast that surely.

The experience we are getting in these kids early is going to pay off in a few years.

Now to the game.

Gibbs- Boss. Just an absolute class game. Some of those goals, gee wizz.
Kruez- Boss. Great game. Seems to be growing with consistency. Those injured years really buggered him around.

C Curnow- Did well. Building up nicely. Only scratching the surface of what he is capable of.
Cuningham- Showed everyone how ******* cool he is. Great side step on him. Feel like he will be a player.
Willow- Didn't have a lot of it, however everytime he touched it was good. That mark he took in the last quarter was ridiculous. If he had of kicked a goal from that would have easily been goal of the round. Absolute steal this kid. Just has something about him that makes me feel he will be a 200 game player.

Cripps- Tried to do a little too much at times. Which I am not too unhappy with. He is still learning and will learn to use first option a little more in those times. However it just seems like he is reaching a point where he is just thinking "Bugger all of these opponents in front of me, I am the best player out here and I am going to run rings around you". A bit of confidence and arrogance is what we need. As he learns when to do this a little better he is going to go to another level.

Kade Simpson- Bloody heart and soul of this club. He is as hard as a cats head that bloke. Nothing more I can say. Love this guy to death.

Graham- Thought he was solid. Never going to be player who tears games apart but I really do think he can be a role player in the years to come.

Weiters, SPS, Fish and SOS will really enjoy the bye this week. Their bodies need resting I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're not going to win too many games when you give a 45 point start (not even if you are a bookie), but if you pull back such a deficit & take the lead, that shows great heart. Disappointing to lose in the end, but the boys gave us plenty to get excited about.

On any other day, a game like that which Kreuzer played today would get the maximum votes, but Gibbs took it to a whole new level. On days like today he is such a joy to watch. As for Kreuzer, if he has played a better game than today's game, I haven't seen it. Would be close to the form ruckman in the comp at the moment.

How about those green shoots today? I guess most of us have been waiting to see what Cunners brings to the table. My, he has some tricks & when he gets into space he really covers the ground quickly. Those 2 goals he kicked were like tracer bullets. He has got a powerful leg. Hopefully today will prove to be the day when Cunners gained the belief that he belongs at this level.

Charlie Curnow is so close to taking a game by the scruff of the neck. If he really wants it he can be Cripps & Bont rolled into one. I really don't think there is anything he can't do.

Now Samo & Fish didn't see a lot of the ball, but they still worked to stay involved. Samo continued to tackle & apply pressure even though it wasn't his day & Fish had a hand in a couple of goals & should have kicked one himself.

Cripps was back to his beastly best in the clearances & his work in space was a sight to behold. One thing though, I would really like to see him focus a bit more on ball security. A couple of his speculative handballs cost us dearly & he also bit off more than he could chew on 2 occasions, when he had a teammate in a better position.

Kudos to both Doc & Simmo, who after quiet starts, helped generate the drive which saw us get back into the game. Great to see Doc getting himself into positions to kick goals. He is definitely in AA form.

A pat on the back to both ASOS & Weiters with their respective jobs on Waite & Sideshow Ben. After Waite got an early goal, ASOS took him to the cleaners & we saw a reminder of the conditional Jarrad Waite we saw all too often at Carlton. Weiters looked like he was going to struggle early on against Brown & in fact I thought he looked a touch disinterested & beaten early on as the North blitzkrieg marched on. To his credit he stuck to his guns & much like Waite, Sideshow Ben had no influence on the game.

Finally, I would like to acknowledge Ed Curnow's work. His GPS for today's game would have made interesting reading, assuming it didn't blow up from being worked so hard. Ed provided so much run, grunt & pressure. His work rate was superior to anyone else on the ground.

There is still lots of work to do, but from what we are seeing from our under 23s, it is not going to be too long before we are winning these games more often that not. I reckon in 2 years' time we will be competitive with virtually any team in the competition.
Perfect summary.

I actually saw worrying signs for crippa today. 4 or 5 times where he was trying to be too Hollywood and cost us a goal or shot on goal (and has done at crucial times multiple times this year) Does beastly things, but was dreadful a few times today. Ball security is very important in the middle. Love this kid, but a few learning points this year.

When have we ever seen a team with 13 players aged 22 and under, including 7 teenagers perform as well as what we did today? Is there a precedent for this?

I've put this up before, but seriously is there any other club who has a better 22 and under team with at least a game under their belt?

Plowman Marchbank Williamson
Byrne Macreadie Pickett
Fisher Cripps Cuningham
Silvagni Curnow Polson
Jacksh Weitering

Graham Petrevski-Seton

Thrown in a McKay, a Lebois and a couple of gun draft picks and this side is looking unbelievable

I rate Williamson strongly but boy, SPS is okay too and will be difficult to surpass long term.

Nonetheless, both are elite kicks of the footy and majestic in traffic.
How good is SPS' awareness, I thought he was going to get poleaxed at one stage, just turned and stepped around the norf player

If I were to rate that out of 10, I'd give you one.

"You could make a really good joke...
tve11387-373-19840508-0.jpg
..."

I rate Williamson strongly but boy, SPS is okay too and will be difficult to surpass long term.

Nonetheless, both are elite kicks of the footy and majestic in traffic.
Both are guns but I'd have Marchbank ahead of both,but isn't it interesting and exciting that we're talking about our talent for once and not hacks like Thomas,kerridge,Palmer etc.

When have we ever seen a team with 13 players aged 22 and under, including 7 teenagers perform as well as what we did today? Is there a precedent for this?

I've put this up before, but seriously is there any other club who has a better 22 and under team with at least a game under their belt?

Plowman Marchbank Williamson
Byrne Macreadie Pickett
Fisher Cripps Cuningham
Silvagni Curnow Polson
Jacksh Weitering

Graham Petrevski-Seton

Thrown in a McKay, a Lebois and a couple of gun draft picks and this side is looking unbelievable

Three or four bits of quality added to that list and watch us rocket up the ladder.

Missed the first quarter and a bit. Tuned in half way through the 2nd quarter.

Was pretty wrapped with that come back. Could hardly go in with a younger side if we tried.

4 of last years draft were on display (Weiters, Charlie, SOS, Cunningham), only H Mac to come in.
4 of this years draft class were on display also (SPS, Fish, Willow and Macreadie) only Polson and Kerr missed out.

8 kids from the last 2 drafts playing? No other club can boast that surely.

The experience we are getting in these kids early is going to pay off in a few years.

Now to the game.

Gibbs- Boss. Just an absolute class game. Some of those goals, gee wizz.
Kruez- Boss. Great game. Seems to be growing with consistency. Those injured years really buggered him around.

C Curnow- Did well. Building up nicely. Only scratching the surface of what he is capable of.
Cuningham- Showed everyone how ******* cool he is. Great side step on him. Feel like he will be a player.
Willow- Didn't have a lot of it, however everytime he touched it was good. That mark he took in the last quarter was ridiculous. If he had of kicked a goal from that would have easily been goal of the round. Absolute steal this kid. Just has something about him that makes me feel he will be a 200 game player.

Cripps- Tried to do a little too much at times. Which I am not too unhappy with. He is still learning and will learn to use first option a little more in those times. However it just seems like he is reaching a point where he is just thinking "Bugger all of these opponents in front of me, I am the best player out here and I am going to run rings around you". A bit of confidence and arrogance is what we need. As he learns when to do this a little better he is going to go to another level.

Kade Simpson- Bloody heart and soul of this club. He is as hard as a cats head that bloke. Nothing more I can say. Love this guy to death.

Graham- Thought he was solid. Never going to be player who tears games apart but I really do think he can be a role player in the years to come.

Weiters, SPS, Fish and SOS will really enjoy the bye this week. Their bodies need resting I think.

This

It was as cold as a witch's teat today. Perhaps that was our excuse for starting so poorly. No enthusiasm for the contest meant North waltzed in and kicked too many easy goals. I was looking for leaders and noticed Ed Curnow waving his arms and barking instructions during the first 45. However At 11.3 to 4.0 I just wanted to slap a few faces to see if I could get a response. At this stage Kreuze was struggling with Goldstein and the North on ballers were feasting on our lack of intensity. The backline was struggling to adjust without Rowe and it looked as though a 100 point thrashing was likely.

However something clicked and the game quickly turned our way. I noticed a lift in tackling pressure and suddenly the North players were making poor decisions. Matty K looked at his own performance and gave himself a fail. He started to jump in the ruck contests and ran away from them like a midfielder. It was a WTF moment for Goldstein who failed badly for the remainder of the game. I saw Casboult tip toe through a few North players and snap a nice goal. Then Cuningham took the long way with pace and slotted a nice goal and it was game on.

The third provided more of the same and the Kangas looked vulnerable. Docherty was all over the place, Cuningham was relishing the contest and kicked another nice goal. And Crippa. I love it when he gets ahead of himself and thinks he's Juddy. The goal in the third was pure Juddy. North was nonplussed with our 2 man forward line and a win looked a real possibility.

Our first 10 minutes in the last quarter were solid. Docherty put us in front with a goal reminiscent of a rampaging Yaz. North hit the front and Kreuze, bursting forward, was unlucky not to slot a goal. The minds were still willing but the petrol tickets had run out. Tiredness caused a couple of goals in the last twenty. Willo's one hander was a party trick that deserved a goal. Charlie Curnow's goal was a play in three acts. He bought the ball to the ground, scuffed it forward and then scuffed it the rest of the way for a great goal. Even at this late stage Simmo was attacking the ball without fear setting a great example for the young players.

It's certainly disappointing to lose another close one. However 11 to 6 goals showed plenty of resilience for a group carrying so many inexperienced players. Carlton is one gun forward away from being a team that can win these games. Get it done SOS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back