Draft Review 2012 - Revisiting the 2012 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming a team without a clear area of deficiency.

1. Brodie Grundy
2. Jackson Macrae
3. Lachie Whitfield
4. Joe Daniher
5. Ollie Wines
6. Jack Viney
7. Lachlan Hunter
8. Nick Vlastuin
9. Rory Atkins
10. James Stewart

Very weak draft but top 5 strong.

Ben Jacobs excluded cause different situation

1. Brodie Grundy
2. Jackson Macrae
3. Lachie Whitfield
4. Joe Daniher
5. Ollie Wines
6. Jack Viney
7. Lachlan Hunter
8. Nick Vlastuin
9. Rory Atkins
10. James Stewart

You’re taking the piss putting Stewart in the top 10 yeah?

You’re taking the piss putting Stewart in the top 10 yeah?
Who else do you have in top 10? There were a bunch of players that are all mediocre in the same range. Him being in the top 10 is more about the lack of the depth of the draft rather than him acctually being good.

1. Brodie Grundy
2. Jackson Macrae
3. Lachie Whitfield
4. Joe Daniher
5. Ollie Wines
6. Jack Viney
7. Lachlan Hunter
8. Nick Vlastuin
9. Rory Atkins
10. James Stewart

Rampe the big miss.

Rampe the big miss.
If you're including rookies then Rampe and Zac Williams need to be in there. But usually these dont include the rookies for whatever reason.

Well this season he's had 6 goals in 6 games, Stewart 13 goals in 8 games.

If you're gonna argue we use previous history then Daniher should be even higher than Grundy given he's had AA season whereas Grundy hasn't.
Needs to be a combination of current and past form. You can’t overlook how s**t Stewart has been for the bulk of his career just because he’s averaging an OKish 1.6 goals this year. That’s Jesse White level output and his career best. Not even close to the top 10 from this draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macrae is the best midfielder from this draft at worst

Eight games into 2018, yes. However, career to date Wines has him covered. It's interesting to note the AFLPCA voted Wines into the under 22 team from 2015-2017 inclusive. Macrae didn't make either of the 2015 or 2016 teams.

Needs to be a combination of current and past form. You can’t overlook how s**t Stewart has been for the bulk of his career just because he’s averaging an OKish 1.6 goals this year. That’s Jesse White level output and his career best. Not even close to the top 10 from this draft.
I'd rather take 1.6 goals a year than whatever Membrey has produced over the course of his career. Sure he's had a 40+goal season, but this season he's barely tracking at 20+.

I feel like you just like arguing to prove your knowledge. But if you take a step back, you should reasonably agree that both 2 players are roughly of the same ilk.

Stewart wasn't s**t, he just didn't get game time at GWS because he they were pretty fixed with their line up and he was behind the likes of Cameron and Patton.

I'd rather take 1.6 goals a year than whatever Membrey has produced over the course of his career. Sure he's had a 40+goal season, but this season he's barely tracking at 20+.

I feel like you just like arguing to prove your knowledge. But if you take a step back, you should reasonably agree that both 2 players are roughly of the same ilk.
Stewart is averaging 1.6 this season and you’d take that over Membreys 1.7 career average because he’s down on form this year. Ok then :drunk:

Stewart is averaging 1.6 this season and you’d take that over Membreys 1.7 career average because he’s down on form this year. Ok then :drunk:
So essentially the foundation of ur argument is that the career average of Membrey is 0.1 higher than Stewart’s current average therefore HE MUST BE CLEARLY BETTER...

Membrey will always be a medium forward that offers little up the ground and is very self oriented in scoring the goals himself. Whereas Stewart has the talent and opportunity to develop into a decent second KPF

Like I said before the only reasons you’re suggesting this is because you don’t want Stewart to succeed since we passed on him as F/S so you keep denying his talent. As well as the fact that you just really like to argue to showcase your “football knowledge”.

My point has always been these two are roughly similar, low quality draft and it’s very even around the 9-15 mark.

So essentially the foundation of ur argument is that the career average of Membrey is 0.1 higher than Stewart’s current average therefore HE MUST BE CLEARLY BETTER...
No, I’m saying that Membrey averaged over 2 goals per game over 2016/17, and established himself in that time as a roughly 40 goal per year forward, whereas Stewart’s best return in the same time in the system has been 22 goals in a season and is currently on track for about 35 goals provided he can maintain his form, which is dubious given he couldn’t even score a goal against Carlton. Therefore yes, Membrey is clearly better.

Membrey will always be a medium forward that offers little up the ground and is very self oriented in scoring the goals himself. Whereas Stewart has the talent and opportunity to develop into a decent second KPF
Membrey has runs on the board, Stewart does not.
Like I said before the only reasons you’re suggesting this is because you don’t want Stewart to succeed since we passed on him as F/S so you keep denying his talent. As well as the fact that you just really like to argue to showcase your “football knowledge”.
Nonsense. Stop taking personal shots and concentrate on the actual argument. Don’t get pissy just because you’re wrong.
My point has always been these two are roughly similar, low quality draft and it’s very even around the 9-15 mark.
And my point is that Stewart has done nothing to warrant being rated in the top 10 of 2012. A handful of decent games at the start of this year doesn’t rocket him up the rankings.

No, I’m saying that Membrey averaged over 2 goals per game over 2016/17, and established himself in that time as a roughly 40 goal per year forward, whereas Stewart’s best return in the same time in the system has been 22 goals in a season and is currently on track for about 35 goals provided he can maintain his form, which is dubious given he couldn’t even score a goal against Carlton. Therefore yes, Membrey is clearly better.

Membrey has runs on the board, Stewart does not.

Nonsense. Stop taking personal shots and concentrate on the actual argument. Don’t get pissy just because you’re wrong.

And my point is that Stewart has done nothing to warrant being rated in the top 10 of 2012. A handful of decent games at the start of this year doesn’t rocket him up the rankings.
Ok since you love your stats so much

2017-15 games 1.5 goals per game
2018-8 games 1.6 goals per game

Not bad for a second fiddle key forward with most of the deliveries going to Daniher.

If Stewart played 22 games at 1.6 goals per game thats 35 goals a year, really not too shaby.

Regardless of where Membrey was before, the truth is that he's currently a 1 goal per game medium forward. Those 188 cm players in the forward line really requires them to play further up the ground and provide a link up target, which Membrey does not. Using your logic Stringer was a AA years ago and "had runs on the board" so he should be a top 5 pick from the 2012 crop then?

Ok since you love your stats so much

2017-15 games 1.5 goals per game
2018-8 games 1.6 goals per game

Not bad for a second fiddle key forward with most of the deliveries going to Daniher.

If Stewart played 22 games at 1.6 goals per game thats 35 goals a year, really not too shaby.

Regardless of where Membrey was before, the truth is that he's currently a 1 goal per game medium forward. Those 188 cm players in the forward line really requires them to play further up the ground and provide a link up target, which Membrey does not. Using your logic Stringer was a AA years ago and "had runs on the board" so he should be a top 5 pick from the 2012 crop then?
Not a top 5 pick, because he has been poor for a couple of years now, but I’d rate him way above Stewart. He’s having a stinker of a year so far and Stewart is only 3 goals ahead of him. If he plays to his full potential he’ll clean up Stewart, it's not even close.

Eight games into 2018, yes. However, career to date Wines has him covered. It's interesting to note the AFLPCA voted Wines into the under 22 team from 2015-2017 inclusive. Macrae didn't make either of the 2015 or 2016 teams.

If anything it shows how underrated Macrae is. Hard to shine when most of your career it has been Bontempelli this, stringer that.

Macrae has over his career been able to get more of the ball and generally use it better than Wines, plus has stood up in big finals (wines has too, perhaps not quite as much)

Not a top 5 pick, because he has been poor for a couple of years now, but I’d rate him way above Stewart. He’s having a stinker of a year so far and Stewart is only 3 goals ahead of him. If he plays to his full potential he’ll clean up Stewart, it's not even close.
Ugh I wasn't comparing Stringer and Stewart directly, it's more about you putting such large weights towards what players have done in the pass and not what they're currently now and what they can achieve in the future.

Regardless, agree to disagree, let's move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back