Rivers of gold?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=...or-love-of-blues/story-e6frf9jf-1225901886672

I know this came up a few months back but thought it warranted further discussion.

In this day and age is there a socially responsible way of generating the revenue required to run a football club? I have a relatively strong stance against gaming, but then again I also have a strong stance against being in an inferior financial position to other Melbourne clubs. Our gaming revenue of 2.8 million seems to be at the lower end of available reported gaming revenue figures...any idea where the Matheson 'gift' will place us?

Considering the financial benefit Geelong are now deriving from owning their own boutique stadium (and from memory also being responsible for catering etc) should we be pursuing a Princes Park re-vamp much more vigorously than we seem to be?

Surely we have done the maths with the PP redevelopement V Profit to us. It would cost a heck of a lot to do, I feel we might end up having to rebuild nearly the whole thing, it's pretty small and it's pretty out dated. Parking and public transport are an issue i guess as well.

You would want it's capacity to be around 45,000 as footy crowds are really growing nd even then it would only be used for when Vic teams play interstate ones, other wise a 50,000 seat stadiu would be on the cards for when we play Vic clubs that attract small crowds. We need a big stadium as we are a big crowd drawer and crowds are growing. We can't have a 30,000 seater that sells out every second match. This is the big problem, it's the expense of rebiulding a stadium basically from scratch and the issue with night games not being allowed to be held there.

Considering the financial benefit Geelong are now deriving from owning their own boutique stadium...

We could have established a self-sufficient little boutique stadium like Geelong - except we were bullied out of our home ground by the AFL. So we can't really compare our situation to theirs.

I don't feel compelled to worry about the rights and wrongs of pokies though. The fact is if we didn't have them, someone else would. If pokies are an evil scourge as many believe, then I'm sure there will be appropriate laws and legislations created in time. Until then, let's not guilt-trip ourselves out of legitimate and legal profits just for the sake of having a needlessly clear conscience.

On a personal level, when I go to the pub, I enjoy putting the occasional 5 or 10 through the pokies. I don't believe that they should be taken away from the majority just because a selection of problem gamblers cannot control themselves.

Eliminating pokies won't necessarily fix a problem gambler's life anyway - there's plenty of other options out there. If someone is truly a gambling addict, they can easily just find something else to start taking a punt on.

We could have established a self-sufficient little boutique stadium like Geelong - except we were bullied out of our home ground by the AFL. So we can't really compare our situation to theirs.

I don't feel compelled to worry about the rights and wrongs of pokies though. The fact is if we didn't have them, someone else would. If pokies are an evil scourge as many believe, then I'm sure there will be appropriate laws and legislations created in time. Until then, let's not guilt-trip ourselves out of legitimate and legal profits just for the sake of having a needlessly clear conscience.

On a personal level, when I go to the pub, I enjoy putting the occasional 5 or 10 through the pokies. I don't believe that they should be taken away from the majority just because a selection of problem gamblers cannot control themselves.

Eliminating pokies won't necessarily fix a problem gambler's life anyway - there's plenty of other options out there. If someone is truly a gambling addict, they can easily just find something else to start taking a punt on.

Oh, shock horror, you mean be responsible for one's own actions....
Well that go against the grain doesn't it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back