Preview Rnd 1 - Fremantle vs North Melbourne 24th March 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

If Hall lines up at half forward to start the game I'd throw Banfield back for a bit of early niggle before handing over to one of the other guys to continue it.
yeah for shits and gigs I’d love to see that, given the job he did on him last season

They seemed to be doing their best work in the forward half of the ground through during JLT if I'm not mistaken? Hughes seems to suit half back as much as Connor Blakely does.
Rather annoyed that one of Cerra or Tucker will take the last spot off half back. Hughes obviously will be the spare/rotating through defender.
Feel that Tucker and Cerra should be pushed within the stoppages and up the ground.

Can't say I'd bring Matera back in unless two of Schultz, Switkowski and Ballantyne are injured tbh.
I think Matera is a bit unfairly maligned. Looking at the heat map of Jamie Elliot at half time, the red zone is 30m out from goal, and the general zone is within the 50.
Matera has, in the past, kicked 6 goals as a small crumbing forward for GC - and in his two years here he’s been played out of position being forced to run up as far as half-back. That’s not what he does, so it’s no surprise he’s been less than average since he came to us. He’s small, he’s a forward - he’s a small forward. Put him on a 40m chain to the goal posts and watch him kick a couple each week. And he’s 5 years younger than Ballas.
I feel sorry for Matera - been used completely inappropriately since the day he got here and has never had the opportunity to show his talents. Crumbing and kicking goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Matera is a bit unfairly maligned. Looking at the heat map of Jamie Elliot at half time, the red zone is 30m out from goal, and the general zone is within the 50.
Matera has, in the past, kicked 6 goals as a small crumbing forward for GC - and in his two years here he’s been played out of position being forced to run up as far as half-back. That’s not what he does, so it’s no surprise he’s been less than average since he came to us. He’s small, he’s a forward - he’s a small forward. Put him on a 40m chain to the goal posts and watch him kick a couple each week. And he’s 5 years younger than Ballas.
I feel sorry for Matera - been used completely inappropriately since the day he got here and has never had the opportunity to show his talents. Crumbing and kicking goals.

You’ve got to offer defensive pressure in modern footy. He offers none.

Ryan Nyhuis once kicked four in a game. Doesn’t mean much if you can’t do it multiple times a season tbh.

Worst recruit who’s played more than ten games for us in... - almost the clubs history (probably around 2000 if I’m being fair) although Colyer could overtake him by the middle of the season.

Last edited:
Small forwards need to be quick or a long long way ahead of everyone else in some other aspect. Matera to me seems like he's a very very good footballer, but doesn't quite have anything that makes him 'difficult' to defend. Walter's aint quick, I know that, but his brains lightning and he see's/reacts to things before others do ... not to mention his skills with the ball. I don't think you can afford to have 3 slow smalls with 3 talls though. Elliot makes a decent fist of any aerial contest, gets out on the lead well, chases/tackles a bit and can crumb - it's just the athletic differences that set him above Brandon.

You’ve got to offer defensive pressure in modern footy. He offers none.

Ryan Nyhuis once kicked four in a game. Doesn’t mean much if you can’t do it multiple times a season tbh.

Worst recruit who’s played more than ten games for us in... - almost the clubs history although Colyer could overtake him by the middle of the season.
Yeah that’s fair comments. I did think after I hit send - how many tackles or run-downs have I seen from him, and yeah... not many. If he could add that side to his game he could be our #1 small forward (not counting Ballas, he’s cooked, or Sonny because they don’t play him in the position where he’s among the best in the AFL... 🤬). He’s more talented than the others, just doesn’t use it. Guys like Switta and Schultz work their arses off cos they don’t have the natural talent of someone with the bloodlines of Matera, and fingers crossed each can make a decent fist of a career.

(Also the Nyhuis comparison doesn’t really hold up. Thrown up forward for the first time ever and pretty much flukes 4 goals. Goes back to his normal position down back when surprise, surprise, a defender doesn’t kick a whole bunch of goals again. Also body of evidence:
Nyhuis 12 games / 5 goals
Matera 119 games / 137 goals)

Also correction on myself - he’s been with us 1 year, not 2 like I said earlier. Brain isn’t as sharp as it used to be... 🥴

Yeah that’s fair comments. I did think after I hit send - how many tackles or run-downs have I seen from him, and yeah... not many. If he could add that side to his game he could be our #1 small forward (not counting Ballas, he’s cooked, or Sonny because they don’t play him in the position where he’s among the best in the AFL... 🤬). He’s more talented than the others, just doesn’t use it. Guys like Switta and Schultz work their arses off cos they don’t have the natural talent of someone with the bloodlines of Matera, and fingers crossed each can make a decent fist of a career.

(Also the Nyhuis comparison doesn’t really hold up. Thrown up forward for the first time ever and pretty much flukes 4 goals. Goes back to his normal position down back when surprise, surprise, a defender doesn’t kick a whole bunch of goals again. Also body of evidence:
Nyhuis 12 games / 5 goals
Matera 119 games / 137 goals)

Also correction on myself - he’s been with us 1 year, not 2 like I said earlier. Brain isn’t as sharp as it used to be... 🥴

The Nyhuis example just shows how silly it is to use one game from two years ago as examples.

137 goals from 119 games is about the rate Cam McCarthy has been going at since he got to Freo. 90% of people on here think he’s a spud - there’s certainly little defending him.

Matera is slow, offers zero defensive, offers next to nothing in an aerial contest and has known off field problems. Two or three games every three years doesn’t change that. Ballas has played some good games in the last few years but everyone just forgets them like they never happened.

Schultz seems to be good above his head for his size and offers good defensive pressure. Switkowski is quick, can run all day and also adds good defensive pressure. Ballantyne will be replaced on the list by Liam Henry next year whilst Matera rots down at Mandurah until his contract either expires.

+1

Also, being "small" doesn't mean you are a crumber, plenty of smalls are better as miniature rovers (err... thinking I'm showing my age), crumbing is a very specific skillset.

This is the first season I can think of in a while where I'm more apathetic than excited about the year ahead prior to our first game.

Hopefully the boys can show enough on Sunday to give us some hope we're on an upward trajectory.

Nah mate. Get all gee'd up for round 1, we are equal 3rd at the moment, not the wooden spooners. Also, things are not set in stone, things will get better (not promising that it is this year or any particular year), why miss the ride if the start is this year and you didn't live it in the moment. Footy is also about the "aaaaahs", it's not just about the "oooohs".

Hard to crumb last year when the ball was either not up forward or intercepted by opposition talls. Given our recruitment of talls, I suspect he'll get another crack at some point it's a long season.

Was I the only to notice that heat map.. little to no presence in the defensive half of the ground. Elliott starts in the goal space and uses his speed around the 50, as well as leading. Frustrating that Matera and Ballas’ Heat map probably has it the other way. Little to no presence around the goalsquare, more around the centre/wings.
If only Ross allows what happened tonight to Schulz/Ballas on Sunday.

Was I the only to notice that heat map.. little to no presence in the defensive half of the ground. Elliott starts in the goal space and uses his speed around the 50, as well as leading. Frustrating that Matera and Ballas’ Heat map probably has it the other way. Little to no presence around the goalsquare, more around the centre/wings.
If only Ross allows what happened tonight to Schulz/Ballas on Sunday.

Yep forwards are best kicking goals not laying pressure in defensive 50

Should use the 6-6-6 rule to our advantage. Always have a small around Tabs/Lobb. Instead they enter the centre square after the bounce.

The 6-6-6 advantage lasts a matter of seconds. Players lined up on the 50 arc will transition from the defensive arc or vice versa to the midfield in seconds. Midfielders will be forward or defensive in seconds.

A strong midfield and strong half forward line could get themselves an advantage - just before the horde descends. That next kick on has to be immediate, no fluffing around, or an umpire dictating where the mark is and slowing up play or whatever malarkey, and any advantage of 6-6-6 is gone.

This article, because it has video examples is an interesting take on the rule changes, was quite intrigued by the kick ins from the defenders goal square. While not absolute, it shows the advantage of short passes - the new rules are supposedly to give better penetration up the field from the goal square, but that kind of kick will probably allow the horde to get to the drop of the ball. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03...w-teams-have-responded/10917772?section=sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Back