AFL Autopsy RND 19: Loss to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1458324

The Red Dots are where our players were when Pendlebury recieves the ball to kick in

The Black Dots are where our players should've been when Pendlebury recieves the ball to kick in, in my opinion.

Really only one red dot needs to change that entire scenario playing out the way it did & that is the one in the goal square.

Anyway, this would be a great time to lock this thread so it can drift off into the BF archives, never to be heard or read about again;).

Maybe so but we have tried that sort of zone for over 6 years and continually get burnt by it. That is why they changed to man in zone after about round 8.
The issue is still the overlap created from the first kick. That is where the escape is. Once you get the overlap you are pretty much done.
Even with that set up Moore can still reach the wing.
Nowhere near as quickly, easily or cleanly as he was able to do in our set up. For starters Moore would have someone challenging him on the mark. We'd also have significant numbers on the wing to create the contest. Id also argue the long kick straight down the middle is defended better as well

The entire reason why we couldn't flood the back at the center bounce like we used to was because of the 6*6*6 rule. With the kick in, there is no rule preventing it. Jones took his sweet time getting up after receiving the free kick.

The players should have conceded, based on the fact that Collingwood had gone end to end and kicked a few goals in a row beforehand, and knowing how much time was left, that they were bound to have the ball reach the backline. And this shouldn't matter. Go back, outnumber your opponent and give yourself the best opportunity to kill what would have been the last ball coming in. It's not rocket science.

This stuff should come second nature to our players by now, and I am of the concern that such crucial lessons are still missing in their knowledge of the game. Which firmly squares back down onto the coach. Do better.

Nowhere near as quickly, easily or cleanly as he was able to do in our set up. For starters Moore would have someone challenging him on the mark. We'd also have significant numbers on the wing to create the contest. Id also argue the long kick straight down the middle one is defended better as well
Or we woul have all folded over like we had done in the past and they would have had numbers on the other Side .
We defend man in zone because we did not come close to getting your version right.
A good side would but we do not.
Man in zone has worked best for us this year.

Sorry to intrude, but I think it's got a lot to do with none of us expected to be anywhere near top 8 and now every single week seems to just be a chaos fest where you have no idea what to expect. To top it off we've played like absolute dogshit for 4 weeks straight and won all four so it's a very strange feeling, can't say I've experienced it. Usually we're either bad or we're good or just average. This year we're like Badgood? Goodbad? I expect us to make a final, most likely lose. No matter what, successful season, but for me the season is ultra successful if we can at least make the final a real tight test.

I don't say I expect us to drop back down next year, I see nothing to suggest that at all. We're not really playing good and out of our skins with no scope for improvement, we're actually playing pretty s**t we just seem to play the game out to the end and have a will to win and decent fitness levels.

Watching that footage and reading that analysis is very interesting.

I feel like two things are clear from that.

1. Once Ham had committed to going to Moore, all he had to do was get in the way and apply defensive pressure to Moore to stop the quick play. He does exactly the opposite and turns around to run in the opposite direction. He's either realised he totally screwed up in the moment or couldn't handle the pressure/responsibility. Gosh, it's really hard to watch.

2. Pendlebury seems to know exactly what to do to win games and would be a great AFL coach. I'm obviously dreaming, but I would given an arm and a leg to get him at our club when he finally retires. Not to replace anyone necessarily, but just as a very good football brain.
Love to have Pendles at Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back